Man of Steel and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2013, 05:42 PM
RE: Man of Steel and evolution
(16-06-2013 05:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Our sun is relatively young and won't be red for another 5 billion years. Superman has strong powers under our young sun. Krypton is red - makes sense that his powers wouldn't be as strong under a dying sun. Ok, makes sense to me. Blink

I watched a show a few years back on the science of superman. One astrophysicist mentioned that the only difference between the color of the red and yellow sun is a slight change in the light spectrum. I believe the comics didn't associate the color of a sun with its age. The writers just assumed suns--at their prime--were different colors.

Quote:I like it Thumbsup that makes fantastic sense and it's a damn good idea for a life form that knows it's star will die in a few billion years. Wink

I totally agree. We should write our own movie!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
16-06-2013, 05:50 PM
(16-06-2013 05:42 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I totally agree. We should write our own movie!

Movie? Heck, we need to start a rigorous genetics program and get space travel and colonization projects underway! We've only got a few billion years - we're wasting time!! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-06-2013, 06:05 PM
(16-06-2013 05:50 PM)kim Wrote:  Movie? Heck, we need to start a rigorous genetics program and get space travel and colonization projects underway! We've only got a few billion years - we're wasting time!! Shy

Um...I forgot my wallet in my other pants. Can you spot me some money until we get this venture going?
16-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Just like a scientist; always wanting money for some cockamamy idea that's gonna save the entire human species. Rolleyes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-06-2013, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 08:43 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(16-06-2013 12:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  There is also the line from later in the film when Zod's female lieutenant tells Superman that her kind (genetically bred soldiers) has an "evolutionary advantage" over him because they have no sense of morality. She then says that "evolution always wins." Expect some anti-evolution rant from some fundamentalist in the coming weeks.

(16-06-2013 02:12 PM)kim Wrote:  I can see a hardcore theist saying, "See? Evolution IS evil. It's used by only those who are evil, in order to spread evil."

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/06/in_...73281.html

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
18-06-2013, 11:37 PM
I just posted a blog article about mentions of evolution in the film and the creationist reaction to it:

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...steel.html
19-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote: Klinghoffer has either not read the corpus of literature on the subject, or he is purposely misrepresenting it.

I'm betting on both. Dodgy

I like the part in your blog post about the unfairness of the exchange. I can't see why people don't get this and I can only think that some just don't want to.

Is it weird to think that religion is a vestigial synapse misfire? Shy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-06-2013, 02:36 PM
[Image: acky9YB.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
19-06-2013, 08:34 PM
(19-06-2013 09:32 AM)kim Wrote:  
Quote: Klinghoffer has either not read the corpus of literature on the subject, or he is purposely misrepresenting it.

I'm betting on both. Dodgy

I like the part in your blog post about the unfairness of the exchange. I can't see why people don't get this and I can only think that some just don't want to.

Is it weird to think that religion is a vestigial synapse misfire? Shy

I definitely think they don't want to. Accepting the fact means reevaluating the line that separates humans and animals. They don't want to admit that line is very blurred.
20-06-2013, 04:11 PM
(16-06-2013 08:27 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-06-2013 12:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  There is also the line from later in the film when Zod's female lieutenant tells Superman that her kind (genetically bred soldiers) has an "evolutionary advantage" over him because they have no sense of morality. She then says that "evolution always wins." Expect some anti-evolution rant from some fundamentalist in the coming weeks.

(16-06-2013 02:12 PM)kim Wrote:  I can see a hardcore theist saying, "See? Evolution IS evil. It's used by only those who are evil, in order to spread evil."

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/06/in_...73281.html

It Has Begun

Here's a new video by DarkAntics discussing the blatant Christian allegory of Man Of Steel:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]