Man of Steel and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 07:55 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Man of Steel and evolution
(20-06-2013 04:11 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Here's a new video by DarkAntics discussing the blatant Christian allegory of Man Of Steel:

I noticed all of the Christian allegory in the film. However, I did not know that the film makers specifically targeted Christian groups for early screenings. That means the cracks about evolution from the bad guys was meant to cast it in a bad light, while casting the Christ-like Superman in a positive light.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 07:43 PM
(20-06-2013 07:31 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 04:11 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Here's a new video by DarkAntics discussing the blatant Christian allegory of Man Of Steel:

I noticed all of the Christian allegory in the film. However, I did not know that the film makers specifically targeted Christian groups for early screenings. That means the cracks about evolution from the bad guys was meant to cast it in a bad light, while casting the Christ-like Superman in positive light.

I haven't seen it yet, and now I probably won't just to avoid supporting their agenda. I did like DarkAntics' comments about how Superman saves the whole world regardless of belief or faith, ... unlike Jesus. Laughat

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 07:56 PM
(20-06-2013 07:43 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I haven't seen it yet, and now I probably won't just to avoid supporting their agenda. I did like DarkAntics' comments about how Superman saves the whole world regardless of belief or faith, ... unlike Jesus. Laughat

I liked his comment too. I actually liked the film, but I'm a tad bit pissed to learn about the film makers' motives.
20-06-2013, 09:00 PM
(20-06-2013 07:31 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

I noticed all of the Christian allegory in the film. However, I did not know that the film makers specifically targeted Christian groups for early screenings. That means the cracks about evolution from the bad guys was meant to cast it in a bad light, while casting the Christ-like Superman in a positive light.

I just came back from watching the movie. It was better than I had expected, tons of action, but the whole business of Clark entering a church reeked of superfluous glad handing and patronizing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Check this article out...

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment...story.html

...Warner Brothers actually hired a Christian PR firm to promote the film to mega-churches.
23-06-2013, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 09:35 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I imagine that people will start using Superman as an example in religious discussions now that the film has been marketed by a Christian PR firm and has been the focus of sermons. If anyone runs into such people, remind that that the golden age Superman is a ripoff of Hugo Danner from the 1930 novel Gladiator just like the Jesus presented in the bible is a ripoff of elements of universal folklore.
23-06-2013, 10:17 PM
In one of the comic lines the White Martians had experimented on the humans, so that we weren't as strong as Superman. Just a fun tid bit.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
23-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Also the thing about the religious light - if anyone does bring it up in a debate remind them that the Kryptionians had their own Religion and Gods. In the comics Clark usually has a mixed Methodist-Alien religion as he combines the two cultures to help with his identity. All the Christian light doesn't amount to much, even the jab at Evolution, if it wasn't for Clark the humans would have been killed, so Zod's female commander was right - the strong do win. It's how Krypton survived for as long as it did. Earth survived because the genetically altered baby with god like superpowers saved them.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
14-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Red Tornado- but she wasn't saying that they had an evolutionary advantage because they were stronger- but because they didn't have any morality. Which is total and utter bullshit.
Did she randomly attack Zod at any point? No. Why? Feelings of respect, fear of retribution, 'it's probably more beneficial for me not to.' What does that equal? Morality. The Kryptonians in the film have plenty of morality, they're just colder and don't show any towards humans. 'The fact that we do not feel any obligation to protect a weaker species who are hostile towards us at the expense of our own when it would give us no benefit whatsoever gives us an evolutionary advantage', maybe. But still not good.
Either the director thinks that human morality is absolute and the only 'proper' morality, or he doesn't understand or is misrepresenting morality and/or evolution.
Oh, also, physics. The films doesn't understand it. A better ending would have been 'Yay, we hit them with the alien ship! Now we'll cause a singularity!
...we've just caused a singularity. ON A FUCKING PLANET. What the hell were we thinking?'
*The entire earth is immediately destroyed*
[+] 1 user Likes RadtheCad's post
17-07-2013, 04:29 AM
(14-07-2013 04:02 AM)RadtheCad Wrote:  Red Tornado- but she wasn't saying that they had an evolutionary advantage because they were stronger- but because they didn't have any morality. Which is total and utter bullshit.
Did she randomly attack Zod at any point? No. Why? Feelings of respect, fear of retribution, 'it's probably more beneficial for me not to.' What does that equal? Morality. The Kryptonians in the film have plenty of morality, they're just colder and don't show any towards humans. 'The fact that we do not feel any obligation to protect a weaker species who are hostile towards us at the expense of our own when it would give us no benefit whatsoever gives us an evolutionary advantage', maybe. But still not good.
Either the director thinks that human morality is absolute and the only 'proper' morality, or he doesn't understand or is misrepresenting morality and/or evolution.
Oh, also, physics. The films doesn't understand it. A better ending would have been 'Yay, we hit them with the alien ship! Now we'll cause a singularity!
...we've just caused a singularity. ON A FUCKING PLANET. What the hell were we thinking?'
*The entire earth is immediately destroyed*

Well, maybe it wouldn't be destroyed immediately, but over some time. Yes, they should have moved the ship a bit away from the planet, before taking these strange singularity solutions. Making a singularity you can't control is the most dangerous thing you could do in the whole Universe. A bunch of aliens are way less dangerous. Reminds me of Star Trek from 2009...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson