Man prevails were the gods have failed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Man prevails were the gods have failed.
A popular question that goes around is "If you could live at any point in time when and where would you go." You'll get all sort of answers such as Ancient Rome, some future metropolis, or the day of the dinosaurs. But very rarely do you get a present time.

This however is normaly my answer. Yes, there are wars and attacks, but statisticly this is the most peaceful the earth has been since the dawn of man. Sickness is still there, but gone are the days when the common cold could whip out a small village.

But the main reason I am happy to be alive now. I because I am living during a time of change. Technology, Philosophical, and Environmentally. For better or worse I don't know for sure. But that's what makes it so existing. I've live from a time before computers where a house hold must. And hover boards and jet packs where just a long off dream.

Consumption (Tuberculosis) was number one killer for thousands of years. The time when prayer and Gods were predominant none were able to cure such a rampant and devastating disease. But with the introduction of modern medicine the cases are now rare, and treatable. Small Pox, The Black Plague, Measles, are just a few that have been pretty much eradicated from exsistance.

Threw Science we have achieved feats that were often only believed to be acomplished by the gods. However we know should any one of those gods existed, or had the capability to do so they failed tremendously.

We have given hearing to the deaf.

Sight to the Blind

And the limbless dance.

Not to mention flight, telecommunication, and space travel. What else will we achive in just the next 10 years? We have seen distance planets, and galaxies. What else will we acheive in the next 10, 20, 100 Years?

We did this. And we did it better then any god.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Commonsensei's post
11-08-2015, 06:19 PM
RE: Man prevails were the gods have failed.
Personally, I wonder if by the time of my death, medical science will have progressed enough thanks to gene therapy, cloning, stem cell research and the like that we will have to face the problem of «immortality». That his that science can allow a human being to live for centuries forcing us to question the kind of impact it could have on us and our society.
11-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Lots of good science fiction books/series deal with that problem, how human society will deal with medical science advancing enough to offer us effective immortality; the most famous is Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

The ones that are especially interesting to me are the ones where only the super-wealthy have access to such technology, and the ramifications thereof.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2015, 11:18 PM
(11-08-2015 03:56 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  A popular question that goes around is "If you could live at any point in time when and where would you go." You'll get all sort of answers such as Ancient Rome, some future metropolis, or the day of the dinosaurs. But very rarely do you get a present time.

This however is normaly my answer. Yes, there are wars and attacks, but statisticly this is the most peaceful the earth has been since the dawn of man. Sickness is still there, but gone are the days when the common cold could whip out a small village.

But the main reason I am happy to be alive now. I because I am living during a time of change. Technology, Philosophical, and Environmentally. For better or worse I don't know for sure. But that's what makes it so existing. I've live from a time before computers where a house hold must. And hover boards and jet packs where just a long off dream.

Consumption (Tuberculosis) was number one killer for thousands of years. The time when prayer and Gods were predominant none were able to cure such a rampant and devastating disease. But with the introduction of modern medicine the cases are now rare, and treatable. Small Pox, The Black Plague, Measles, are just a few that have been pretty much eradicated from exsistance.

Threw Science we have achieved feats that were often only believed to be acomplished by the gods. However we know should any one of those gods existed, or had the capability to do so they failed tremendously.

Sight to the Blind

And the limbless dance.

Not to mention flight, telecommunication, and space travel. What else will we achive in just the next 10 years? We have seen distance planets, and galaxies. What else will we acheive in the next 10, 20, 100 Years?

I'd be careful though. We just left the century where more people died in war than in the entire history of man before it.

Now we have a cultural war between religions. Where will that lead, how long will it last and how many will it eventually kill?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-08-2015, 01:18 AM
(11-08-2015 11:18 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I'd be careful though. We just left the century where more people died in war than in the entire history of man before it.

Steven Pinker wrote about this in his book The Better Angels of Our Nature. According to him violence is declining over centuries and one could say that WW II was singular event not part of the trend.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-08-2015, 05:52 AM
(11-08-2015 10:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Lots of good science fiction books/series deal with that problem, how human society will deal with medical science advancing enough to offer us effective immortality; the most famous is Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

The ones that are especially interesting to me are the ones where only the super-wealthy have access to such technology, and the ramifications thereof.

Holy Fire - Bruce Sterling

You might enjoy this book, if you haven't read it. It deals with exactly that issue.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
12-08-2015, 05:59 AM
(11-08-2015 06:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Personally, I wonder if by the time of my death, medical science will have progressed enough thanks to gene therapy, cloning, stem cell research and the like that we will have to face the problem of «immortality». That his that science can allow a human being to live for centuries forcing us to question the kind of impact it could have on us and our society.

A pretty scary thought - immortality.

Can you imagine what a fucked up world it'd be, if George W. Bush stuck around forever???

Also -- it'd only be the rich who live forever. I don't begrudge a rich person the ability to live better than a poor person. However - there's a whole lot of poor people (think Ferguson looters - who are just there to loot) -- who would....

They'd burn the world down.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-08-2015, 06:02 AM
(12-08-2015 05:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 06:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Personally, I wonder if by the time of my death, medical science will have progressed enough thanks to gene therapy, cloning, stem cell research and the like that we will have to face the problem of «immortality». That his that science can allow a human being to live for centuries forcing us to question the kind of impact it could have on us and our society.

A pretty scary thought - immortality.

Can you imagine what a fucked up world it'd be, if George W. Bush stuck around forever???

Eh, I image the world would be no more fucked up that before. After all, what's he doing to do?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-08-2015, 06:07 AM
(11-08-2015 03:56 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  A popular question that goes around is "If you could live at any point in time when and where would you go." You'll get all sort of answers such as Ancient Rome, some future metropolis, or the day of the dinosaurs. But very rarely do you get a present time.

Sight to the Blind

And the limbless dance.

Indeed. I've lost track of the times I've read a science article or seen something amazing like giving sight to the blind or hearing to the deaf and muttered "we live in the future".

I wouldn't mind being able to travel 100 years or so into the future to see how far we have advanced, but as for times to live in, this is an amazing one. phys.org is my favorite website to marvel at the human intellect. Every day, there is something that makes me stare in wonder.

Science! It works, bitches.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
12-08-2015, 06:10 AM
(12-08-2015 01:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 11:18 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I'd be careful though. We just left the century where more people died in war than in the entire history of man before it.

Steven Pinker wrote about this in his book The Better Angels of Our Nature. According to him violence is declining over centuries and one could say that WW II was singular event not part of the trend.

WWI and WWII are directly linked. Following WWII we had the Middle east crisis, Korea, Vietnam, and many more.

Pinker seems rather naive to me. But I hope he is right.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.