Manafort To Be Arrested

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2017, 07:05 PM
RE: Manafort To Be Arrested
(30-10-2017 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why you pardoning him when you just tweeted it had nothing to do with the campaign? This puts doubts in Manafort's mind that a pardon is actually coming. And hell, they'll just threaten to charge him with State crimes even if Trump does pardon him. I don't see how they can't flip.

This...the indictment is meant to stand on its own so that it can be used as leverage. Manafort has to be convinced there is no pardon coming his way in order to feel inclined to cooperate. Of course, if Manafort does not have the goods to trade, it will really suck to be him. However if guilty, he committed crimes that will make his treatment well deserved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2017, 08:19 PM
(30-10-2017 06:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Another thing to note. Mueller might have actually been waiting, hell expecting, for Trump to distance himself from Manafort by noting the criminal actions were in the past prior to Manafort's involvement in the campaign (which turns out to be false), before Mueller dropped the PoopaDoop undercover operation. I would do exactly that if I wanted to provoke that response from Trump. Make sure the initial indictments have nothing to do with the campaign. It makes it that much more difficult for Trump to pardon him now without looking guilty as hell. Why you pardoning him when you just tweeted it had nothing to do with the campaign? This puts doubts in Manafort's mind that a pardon is actually coming. And hell, they'll just threaten to charge him with State crimes even if Trump does pardon him. I don't see how they can't flip.

"Sources in the White House" say that trump has been watching TV in his private quarters all day.

What a coinkidinky: I have been doing the same thing! Except I've mostly had the TV on in the background while I'm doing other stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
30-10-2017, 08:35 PM
(30-10-2017 11:43 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  Dirt-digging is not collusion. Facepalm

I didn't say it was, but since you mention dirt digging:
--Trump Jr meets with Russian on pretense that Russians have dirt on Hilalry Clinton=collusion
--Clinton campaign and DNC paying for Russians to gin up a bogus dossier that launches investigation into Trump=not collusion.

Evidence of a 'bogus dossier', please.

Quote:Got it.

Quote:There is zero evidence, or even indication, that the Democrats colluded with the Russians, while there is mounting evidence of the Trump campaign doing so.

I would say there is zero evidence of either the Dems or Repubs colluding with Russia. Just a lot of hot air so far.

A series of meetings and self-incriminating statements from some of the Trumpettes involved provide a basis for an investigation.

Quote:I'm not saying there is nothing suspicious, but there is no evidence of actual collusion as of yet. The indictments are for prior unrelated crimes which most likely the prosecutor hopes will be able to be used as leverage to obtain cooperation from Manafort. So things are just starting to play out. It will take time for Mueller to parse through any leads generated by his indictments.

I'm cautioning against being too optimistic. If Manafort and crew has no dirt on Trump or if he does not cooperate, then these might be the last indictments Mueller brings (well, maybe he'll go after Flynn next).

I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2017, 08:57 PM
(30-10-2017 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Evidence of a 'bogus dossier', please.

Washington post characterization of it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...2e7ef39eeb

"The 35-page dossier is composed of 17 memos containing raw intelligence, some of it highly salacious and not independently confirmed. It relies on Kremlin-linked sources and alleges that the Russian government had been trying to support Trump’s candidacy while gathering compromising information that could be used as blackmail. "

and here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact...6ee70234da

"The memos are written as raw intelligence, based on interviews Steele had with unidentified Russian sources (identified, for instance, as “Kremlin insider”), some of whom he paid for information. Raw intelligence is essentially high-grade gossip, without the expectation it would be made public unless it is further verified."

Quote:A series of meetings and self-incriminating statements from some of the Trumpettes involved provide a basis for an investigation.

Basis for investigation, but not proof of collusion. So far, there has been no contradictory information to the claims that nothing came of this meeting. So Trump Jr showed up, concluded that the meeting was bullshit, and walked away. How is that collusion? Unless that story is proven to be a lie, that isn't collusion. Worthy of investigation? Sure. But that is nothing approaching any standard of evidence of any wrong doing.
30-10-2017, 09:04 PM
(30-10-2017 08:57 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Evidence of a 'bogus dossier', please.

Washington post characterization of it:

"The 35-page dossier is composed of 17 memos containing raw intelligence, some of it highly salacious and not independently confirmed. It relies on Kremlin-linked sources and alleges that the Russian government had been trying to support Trump’s candidacy while gathering compromising information that could be used as blackmail. "

and here:

"The memos are written as raw intelligence, based on interviews Steele had with unidentified Russian sources (identified, for instance, as “Kremlin insider”), some of whom he paid for information. Raw intelligence is essentially high-grade gossip, without the expectation it would be made public unless it is further verified."

Quote:A series of meetings and self-incriminating statements from some of the Trumpettes involved provide a basis for an investigation.

Basis for investigation, but not proof of collusion. So far, there has been no contradictory information to the claims that nothing came of this meeting. So Trump Jr showed up, concluded that the meeting was bullshit, and walked away. How is that collusion? Unless that story is proven to be a lie, that isn't collusion. Worthy of investigation? Sure. But that is nothing approaching any standard of evidence of any wrong doing.

I don't expect investigators to share hard evidence with the public. Do you?

The lack of evidence available to us is indicative of nothing whatsoever. The smoke is thick, the fire will be exposed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-10-2017, 09:11 PM
(30-10-2017 06:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 06:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Might be time for him to take up drinking.

He'll be tweeting when the nannies are asleep...

The nannies are in the closet, hiding the nuclear football.
Can you say "pardon me, please" ? Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
30-10-2017, 09:32 PM
(30-10-2017 09:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 08:57 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Washington post characterization of it:

and here:

I don't expect investigators to share hard evidence with the public. Do you?

The lack of evidence available to us is indicative of nothing whatsoever. The smoke is thick, the fire will be exposed.

Evidence may be there...I keep open in my mind that possibility. But you could not say you know there is evidence, only that you suspect there is.
31-10-2017, 05:21 AM
(30-10-2017 06:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Another thing to note. Mueller might have actually been waiting, hell expecting, for Trump to distance himself from Manafort by noting the criminal actions were in the past prior to Manafort's involvement in the campaign (which turns out to be false), before Mueller dropped the PoopaDoop undercover operation. I would do exactly that if I wanted to provoke that response from Trump. Make sure the initial indictments have nothing to do with the campaign. It makes it that much more difficult for Trump to pardon him now without looking guilty as hell. Why you pardoning him when you just tweeted it had nothing to do with the campaign? This puts doubts in Manafort's mind that a pardon is actually coming. And hell, they'll just threaten to charge him with State crimes even if Trump does pardon him. I don't see how they can't flip.

"Sources in the White House" say that trump has been watching TV in his private quarters all day.

Watching TV on the clock without working?

I've worked with a few guys like that. They never last long.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
01-11-2017, 06:22 AM
Manafort has 3 US Passports, traveled to China with phone registered to fake name.

Quote:Among the highlights:
* Manafort currently has three US passports, each under a different number. He has submitted 10 passport applications in roughly as many years, prosecutors said.

* This year, Manafort traveled to Mexico, China and Ecuador with a phone and email account registered under a fake name. (The name was not disclosed in the filings.)

* Over the past year, Manafort traveled to Dubai, Cancun, Panama City, Havana, Shanghai, Madrid, Tokyo and Grand Cayman Island.

* Both Manafort and Gates were frequent travelers to Cyprus. "Extensive travel of this nature further evidences a risk of flight," the prosecutor's filing said.

* Manafort wrote on loan applications and other financial documents that his assets were worth between $19 million in April 2012 and $136 million in May 2016.

* In some months, like while he served as Trump's national campaign chairman in August 2016, Manafort's assessment of his total worth fluctuated. In August 2016 he said his assets were worth $28 million, then wrote he had $63 million in assets on a different application.

* Gates "frequently changed banks and opened and closed bank accounts," prosecutors said. In all, Gates opened 55 accounts with 13 financial institutions, the prosecutors' court filing said. Some of his bank accounts were in England and Cyprus, where he held more than $10 million from 2010 to 2013.

Manafort's and Gates' attorneys have asked the judge to release them from house arrest.

Yeah, seems like a flight risk and some very dodgy things monetarily...

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
01-11-2017, 08:50 AM
These are just trumped up charges Tongue

As if the president would surround himself with crooks! You'll be telling me he's one next.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post