Manchester England

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2017, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2017 03:06 AM by adey67.)
RE: Manchester England
(26-05-2017 09:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:53 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Subtle as usual SYZ, Dodgy

LOL... I guess I'm one of those people that tells it like it is, without fear or favour. Can anybody here give me one single reason why the monarch of another country should demand so much respect from the Australian people? And also one single benefit the royal family's existence provides for the average UK man in the street?

—I'm guessing not. They're a 19th century anachronism that's long ago ceased to have any relevancy, apart from the pomp and ceremony that the Brits so (apparently) love.

Most of us (not all obviously, as DLJ is a republican) in Britain do love her, she is the head of state just like the POTUS but without the political baggage attached. I personally don't agree with the commonwealth its a throw back to the old empire. Australia New Zealand Canada etc should get to change flags etc if they want to and I'm sure in time they will do, once the older generation dies off I feel sure you will have a referendum on it. Yes she lives in luxury but so do most heads of state its necessary to have certain trappings when dealing with other heads of state and international affairs, and unless you are Ghandi having a monarch who looks like they live in penury is rather weak. Don't forget she cannot go out alone, or be really free, its a caged existence so its not all roses and chocolates for her.
We get a stable monarch who helps curb and moderate overzealous prime ministers she brings tourism and money to the country, she supports charitable causes which many people benefit from both here and abroad, royal patronage helps businesses' that offer excellence to do even better etc etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2017, 09:39 AM
(26-05-2017 09:00 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Why should any single member of the British royal family enjoy massive wealth simply because of an accident of birth, or a night of passion between first cousins?

Because the British people volunteer to give their money to them. I think it's crazy.

They don't get a lot from us, and we tend to make it back from them anyway (the institution is something of a money spinner, such as through tourism). Most of their income comes from their own private investments, or their careers, on which they pay tax. They typically volunteer more in tax payments than is legally required of them.

If there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

| (• ◡•)|  (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
[+] 2 users Like Callinectes's post
28-05-2017, 10:16 AM
(27-05-2017 02:55 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 09:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  LOL... I guess I'm one of those people that tells it like it is, without fear or favour. Can anybody here give me one single reason why the monarch of another country should demand so much respect from the Australian people? And also one single benefit the royal family's existence provides for the average UK man in the street?

—I'm guessing not. They're a 19th century anachronism that's long ago ceased to have any relevancy, apart from the pomp and ceremony that the Brits so (apparently) love.

Most of us (not all obviously, as DLJ is a republican) in Britain do love her, she is the head of state just like the POTUS but without the political baggage attached. I personally don't agree with the commonwealth its a throw back to the old empire. Australia New Zealand Canada etc should get to change flags etc if they want to and I'm sure in time they will do, once the older generation dies off I feel sure you will have a referendum on it. Yes she lives in luxury but so do most heads of state its necessary to have certain trappings when dealing with other heads of state and international affairs, and unless you are Ghandi having a monarch who looks like they live in penury is rather weak. Don't forget she cannot go out alone, or be really free, its a caged existence so its not all roses and chocolates for her.
We get a stable monarch who helps curb and moderate overzealous prime ministers she brings tourism and money to the country, she supports charitable causes which many people benefit from both here and abroad, royal patronage helps businesses' that offer excellence to do even better etc etc.
Being an Irish republican I wouldn't have much time for the British royal family, but when the Queen paid a visit to the Republic of Ireland in 2011 (massive security operation) I and many others, were very impressed when she laid a wreath in honour of the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising at Dublin’s Garden of Remembrance. That was a hugely significant gesture.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
28-05-2017, 12:01 PM
I see the Royal Family as the pet of a nation.

They provide a sense of loyalty and entertainment. People live a fairy tale life vicariously through the Royals.

Nothing wrong with that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Of course, Barack Obama had to step up and say something more heartfelt for the Manchester bombing victims instead of trumps brief "very angry" comment. Gawd, I miss that man.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-05-2017, 02:44 PM
We're in France and plan to go to two concerts with kids this summer. This is horrific, my teen daughter is deeply affected by it.