Manchurian candidate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Manchurian candidate
Ever notice when talking to religious people, they say phrases in response to questions. Like: "god loved us soooo much that he gave his only begotten son for our sins."

Who say "begotten" any other time in their life? I'd wager only when repeating this.

When I ask them to define "begotten", they can't!! So I ask them, how do you even know what you are saying if you don't what it means!

I notice more and more than the phrases are just programmed in like Manchurian candidates!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
13-04-2014, 10:54 AM
RE: Manchurian candidate
It means "only legitimate child". Jesus wasn't a bastard, apparently. It does raise the question of just how many bastards his prick of a father littered the world with - or is continuing to litter the world with. If the headlines each day are any guide, probably millions. Probabilistically, therefore, some of those "Manchurian candidates" have to be among them - unwitting zombies, like Bruce Willis in 6th Sense.
13-04-2014, 11:08 AM
begotten |biˈgätn|
past participle of beget.
beget |biˈget|
verb ( begets, begetting ; past begot |-ˈgat|; past participle begotten ) [ with obj. ] literary
1 (typically of a man, sometimes of a man and a woman) bring (a child) into existence by the process of reproduction: they hoped that the King might beget an heir by his new queen.
2 give rise to; bring about: success begets further success.

New Flash!

God, cleverly disguised as the holy spirit, fucked Mary. She got pregnant.

Film at 11.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
13-04-2014, 12:16 PM
(13-04-2014 08:16 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I notice more and more than the phrases are just programmed in like Manchurian candidates!

Pretty much all the most common things theists say are shibboleths. Boring as shit rote mutual affirmation of meaningless phrases.

"God is good"
"What do you mean?"
"lol I dunno"

"God is infinite"
"What do you mean?"
"lol I dunno"

"God is a trinity"
"What do you mean?"
"lol I dunno"

And so on.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
13-04-2014, 05:12 PM
(13-04-2014 11:08 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  begotten |biˈgätn|
past participle of beget.
beget |biˈget|
verb ( begets, begetting ; past begot |-ˈgat|; past participle begotten ) [ with obj. ] literary
1 (typically of a man, sometimes of a man and a woman) bring (a child) into existence by the process of reproduction: they hoped that the King might beget an heir by his new queen.
2 give rise to; bring about: success begets further success.

New Flash!

God, cleverly disguised as the holy spirit, fucked Mary. She got pregnant.

Film at 11.

I know what begotten means. THEY Don't.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
13-04-2014, 05:35 PM
I love fusion foods...

Mmmm, Manchurian chicken.
13-04-2014, 05:56 PM
I've noticed that too, and I usually rephrase that statement for them rather than asking them to define it.

"So...what you're saying is that God loved the world so much he knocked up a teenage girl so he could be born as a human and eventually sacrifice himself to himself to give us a loophole to rules he created but can't circumvent..." Consider

I was guilty of doing the same thing when I was a Christian, and I think that's one reason I still spend so much time reading about it even though I don't believe it anymore. Those automatic phrases were programmed into me since birth, and it still takes more work than it should to see the obvious problems with them.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post