Mandatory Recycling Becomes A Reality In Delaware

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Universal Recycling Bill Signed

By SUSSEX COUNTY ONLINE

WILMINGTON, DE – Against the backdrop of the growing Cherry Island landfill, Governor Jack Markell signed legislation on June 8, 2010 that will make statewide universal recycling a reality.

"Making recycling convenient and available to every household in the state now has the ability to become reality," Markell said. "This plan, which had bipartisan support, is comprehensive, cost-effective and practical. It's designed to dramatically increase recycling while reducing burdens on businesses and restraining the cost of waste." (Full Article)

Related:

SB 234 (Signed 6/2010)a
Synopsis: This legislation establishes Universal Recycling in Delaware. It requires DSWA to cease collecting curbside recyclables by a date certain and requires the implementation of comprehensive residential and commercial recycling programs by municipalities and waste haulers. It establishes the Delaware Recycling Fund and the Recycling Grants and Low-Interest Program to defray the costs of implementation, and funds, with funding derived by the conversion of the current bottle deposit to a Recycling Fee on beverage containers. It also establishes reporting requirements, establishes the Recycling Public Advisory Council in law, and ensures that DSWA provides a location in each county to accept source separated recyclables.

LINK
Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2011, 03:32 PM
RE: Mandatory Recycling Becomes A Reality In Delaware
Too bad recycling consumes more energy than raw materials, therefor rendering it pointless.

If you haven't seen the Bullshit episode on recycling, you should.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2011, 03:40 PM
(29-03-2011 03:32 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  Too bad recycling consumes more energy than raw materials, therefor rendering it pointless.

What studies were done on this ?
I'm curios.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-03-2011, 03:41 PM

(29-03-2011 03:32 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  Too bad recycling consumes more energy than raw materials, therefor rendering it pointless.

The thing about this program is, Delaware residents are forced to participate in the program whether they recycle or not. The trash collection companies in the State must/will charge all residents they serve the additional recycling fee, whether that resident actually recycles or not.
It's a free flow recycling program so everything recyclable can be dumped into the bins, which are picked up every other week. Which means, anyone who recycles with a penchant will have to make the trip to the recycling igloos around the State, to make up for the week the service they're forced to pay for every month, isn't running.
And that's for as long as recycling centers are still open (and free).

Delaware claims to be broke, so in this economy the corrupt Government there decides to make up for their loss of revenue in the general fund, on the back of people already struggling to survive criminal enterprise in politics.

And the fee residents are forced to pay to the trash companies, is said to also help the trash haulers pay for the new fleet of trucks they're buying in order to accommodate this mandate.

I thought this article pertinent to the arrogance Delaware lawmakers exhibit, after reading the thread about the basketball hoops being forcibly removed by DelDot.

As for Penn & Teller Bullshit, I take them at their word they know what their product is worth.
31-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Wait... Americans have to pay trash pickup direct?

What the fuck are you paying national tax for? 0.o

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
31-03-2011, 11:55 AM
(31-03-2011 11:49 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Wait... Americans have to pay trash pickup direct?

Seems so.
In my city there's a private company that does the pickup but its hired by City Hall and our taxes pay for it. Usually around a few dollars/person.

31-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Here (Canada) we don't pay direct for trash pick-up either. I Guess I should qualify that with "in the part of the country I live in" since I'm not sure about elsewhere. Trash pick-up is covered by municipal taxes. (So is recycling pick-up) I live in the country, so must haul my own trash to the local dump, but I also don't pay the taxes for it.

I am actually of the opinion that people should all have to pay for trash put in landfills according to how much they produce. It would encourage people to think twice about what they waste. I have a family of four, and we allow ourselves ONE bag of garbage per MONTH to go to the landfill. Everything else must be recycled or composted. The amazing part is, it's not even that difficult! Deleware would save tons of cash on all counts if everyone was more aware of the trash they throw out, and were held responsible for it. Not to mention everyone else.

As for the efficiency of recycling. From what I've gathered it is not efficient at all. That being said, by continuing to do it, we will more quickly become more adept at it, and eventually develop efficient technology. Right now it's pretty close to a "break even" endeavor in an ecological sense.

Just visiting.

-SR
31-03-2011, 01:09 PM

(31-03-2011 11:49 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Wait... Americans have to pay trash pickup direct?

We're paying so as to be dry humped by corrupt rich politicians with the power to stick it in, break it off and send us the bill. For the right to remain free. Gain employment, so that we pay from gross receipts the government for our right to earn a living (As in Income Tax) and finally, so that those rich corrupt politicians can live high on the hog because we pay them to, because we're led to believe we voted for all that.

America is not a free country. Everything American's enjoy, we must pay the government to acquire. And if we don't the government takes it and put's us in prison.

Trash is just the tip of the iceberg. So is recycling. We should be getting paid for what we recycle, as it's all reprocessed into reusable recycled materials.

Hell, even phone companies fuck Delaware residents. Verizon charges it's customers in Delaware (and those State's wherein a "Corporate Tax" is applied), a Gross Receipts Tax. This is what Verizon is obligated to pay to the State(s) on the gross amount they receive from every customers phone bill. So that the customer ends up paying what Verizon owes that State for the service it, as a Corporation, makes on resident customers.

We're always getting charged in order to live free.
31-03-2011, 02:37 PM
@GassyKitten
I think your state and government have a very unhealthy relationship with corporations.
But at least you can vote people into the government (yes , most are corrupt - I know) but you can't vote them into a corporation. I'd choose the lesser of two evils and in my mind that seems to be the state.

02-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Not only do residenc have to recycle, I was just informed before Christmas my business was going to have to recycle too. So in a crapy business environment businesses will be forced to spend more money for both additional dumpsters and the time to sort the trash!! Do the recycleing centers not create revenue by sorting and recycling the trash? If that is the case we are being forced to pay more for some corp that most likly donated a bunch of money to the political pay off machine so that they can make more money?