Mandatory voting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Mandatory voting
So Obama has floated the idea of mandatory voting in the US in order to offset the influence of big money. At first glance I think it sounds like a good idea, but would require changes at the polls on the state level in order to accommodate the additional voters. I don’t think people should be required to vote for a candidate though so a none option on the ballots would be necessary.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
19-03-2015, 09:49 AM
RE: Mandatory voting
(19-03-2015 09:45 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  So Obama has floated the idea of mandatory voting in the US in order to offset the influence of big money. At first glance I think it sounds like a good idea, but would require changes at the polls on the state level in order to accommodate the additional voters. I don’t think people should be required to vote for a candidate though so a none option on the ballots would be necessary.

Yeah, nothing says "freedom" like mandatory voting. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
19-03-2015, 09:54 AM
My take on that is a requirement to participate in the system in order to reap the benefits of said system isn't an unreasonable burden.

19-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Our choices suck now.
19-03-2015, 09:58 AM
And they are going to continue to suck as long as special interests are legally allowed to purchase the votes of our representatives. Probably after that too.

19-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Instead of imposing mandatory voting, the campaign rules could be fixed. And corporations are not people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
19-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I don't know that mandatory voting will help or make it worse.
19-03-2015, 10:36 AM
And they could simplify it for us dummies by making it a "Yes or No" vote, just like the Soviets used to in the "good old days"..

And - gulag for anyone who votes "No"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-03-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't understand how or why people don't vote. I've voted in every election since I was 18. I know people my age (late 30's) who have very strong opinions on who should be elected but they have never voted in their life. They'd rather play video games or go to the bar. When I lived in Seattle, the entire state was vote by mail. They couldn't even fill out the mail ballot, seal the envelope and drop it in a mail box.

Obama is right though, if everyone voted, democrats would probably win every election. But I find people that support democrats don't actually vote for democrats because they are some of the laziest people I have ever met and never make it to the voting booth. I'd say half of my democrat friends get off their butts to vote but all of my republican friends vote every time, and they pay attention to politics with more enthusiasm as well. During Obama's first presidential election, both of my roommates were diehard Obama supporters. I wasn't diehard but I donated to his campaign and did at least send in my mail ballot with a vote for him. These two guys never left the house that day, instead opting to watch the Chapelle Show marathon on TV. I even offered to drop off their ballots at the drop box if they filled them out but they never got around to it.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
19-03-2015, 10:42 AM
(19-03-2015 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Instead of imposing mandatory voting, the campaign rules could be fixed. And corporations are not people.

I agree that campaign finance rules need to be fixed. In fact I'm all for publicly funded elections and penalties for politicians that accept outside funds that include hanging from a gallows in the mall in front of the capital building. I see little chance of that happening though until the greedy fucks currently running this country are replaced by people that represent the people as opposed to special interests. Mandatory voting could (not would, pablo) help with the latter.

And no, corporations are not people. They shouldn't be granted the same rights as people. The only way to fix the current trend of our governments treating them like people are laws that don't allow that kind of treatment, and the likelihood of seeing that is low as long as the corporations are allowed to buy the politicians.

[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post