Mandatory voting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: Mandatory voting
I say do away with voting altogether - and simply choose leaders by lot.

As it is - you KNOW you're getting a crooked politician.

Chosen by lot - we might actually get a person of integrity every once in a while...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-03-2015, 10:45 AM
I would refuse to vote if it's mandatory.

I consider my vote a gift to the populace. That said, I live in a state where my vote is meaningless. In my area, too many fucktards who vote stupid and over-all the state is liberal. I imagine swing states that can go either way, the vote becomes more important.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-03-2015, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2015 11:25 AM by yakherder.)
The right to vote serves as leverage against those in office. Just one of many checks and balances that serves a purpose whether we choose to actively use it or not. And if you truly don't like the options you shouldn't be forced to make a choice

Should we all be required to bear arms, or should violent government overthrow be mandatory every four years, or is the right to bear arms, just in case, sufficient?

Should I be required to have a religion, or is the right to have one, if I make that choice, sufficient?

Mandatory voting isn't even arguably rational. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's also not doable, as the cost of making sure every single person who can vote does so, not to mention implementing punishment for those who don't (that's what's involved when something gets made into a legal requirement) would be astronomical. Are we going to impose a fine on those who don't vote? And when it turns out those who aren't able to vote are people who are homeless, working several jobs, staying at home with the kids and unable to find temporary child care, unable to afford transportation, etc. are predominantly the lower earning class of society, how is that going to go over from a sociological perspective? I don't think it's anything Obama thought through or will even consider. He just opened his mouth and spewed some off the cuff nonsense without thinking about it all the way through.

And, for Christ's sake, you can't fix every problem with a new unenforceable law. We need to be moving away from that irrational tendency, not more towards it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
19-03-2015, 11:51 AM
(19-03-2015 11:21 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The right to vote serves as leverage against those in office. Just one of many checks and balances that serves a purpose whether we choose to actively use it or not. And if you truly don't like the options you shouldn't be forced to make a choice

Should we all be required to bear arms, or should violent government overthrow be mandatory every four years, or is the right to bear arms, just in case, sufficient?

Should I be required to have a religion, or is the right to have one, if I make that choice, sufficient?

Mandatory voting isn't even arguably rational. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's also not doable, as the cost of making sure every single person who can vote does so, not to mention implementing punishment for those who don't (that's what's involved when something gets made into a legal requirement) would be astronomical. Are we going to impose a fine on those who don't vote? And when it turns out those who aren't able to vote are people who are homeless, working several jobs, staying at home with the kids and unable to find temporary child care, unable to afford transportation, etc. are predominantly the lower earning class of society, how is that going to go over from a sociological perspective? I don't think it's anything Obama thought through or will even consider. He just opened his mouth and spewed some off the cuff nonsense without thinking about it all the way through.

And, for Christ's sake, you can't fix every problem with a new unenforceable law. We need to be moving away from that irrational tendency, not more towards it.

I agree. Just a small side note, my state is vote by mail only. We don't have any polling places. I'm mixed about that.

19-03-2015, 11:53 AM
(19-03-2015 09:45 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  So Obama has floated the idea of mandatory voting in the US in order to offset the influence of big money. At first glance I think it sounds like a good idea, but would require changes at the polls on the state level in order to accommodate the additional voters. I don’t think people should be required to vote for a candidate though so a none option on the ballots would be necessary.

The voting process is SO 19th Century. They need to figure out a way to securely allow on-line voting, or "absentee" voting for everyone, or somehow make it convenient.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2015, 11:58 AM
(19-03-2015 11:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-03-2015 09:45 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  So Obama has floated the idea of mandatory voting in the US in order to offset the influence of big money. At first glance I think it sounds like a good idea, but would require changes at the polls on the state level in order to accommodate the additional voters. I don’t think people should be required to vote for a candidate though so a none option on the ballots would be necessary.

The voting process is SO 19th Century. They need to figure out a way to securely allow on-line voting, or "absentee" voting for everyone, or somehow make it convenient.

We only vote by mail in our state. Personally I think there's a more likely chance of undue influence with a small amount of people than actualy going to a polling place in complete privacy.

19-03-2015, 12:24 PM
They should address why people have stopped voting, probably because people dont have faith in the system, dont trust politicians because they never give straight answers or lie by ommission.

Its a problem here in the UK as well, they have made attempts to encourage under 25s to vote, as that percentage could swing it either way they think.

Obama couldnt slip his mexican voters in so I suppose trying mandatory voting is his second idea.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
19-03-2015, 02:09 PM
The two party system is a false dichotomy. Most people clearly do not like either party. The funny thing is, if all the non-voters voted for any third party candidate, the outcome wouldn't change, but, the vast majority of voters would have voted against the winner. It would totally discredit the Democrats and Republicans in a way even their insane fringe couldn't deny. It's too bad there's so much apathy.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
19-03-2015, 02:11 PM

From a country with mandatory voting, I don't see any real problems with it.

Sure there's the 'but mah freedoms' argument, which I suppose is valid and I relied on it myself early on when I felt annoyed with being forced to vote, but now I'm not sure that it's all that useful a position, especially since you do have the option to not vote... At least down here you do; just turn up and submit an empty ballot or rename preferences to Oscar the Grouch and Harvey the Wonder Hamster and whatever else you can think of, nobody names their ballot sheet, in fact those that are named are not counted, so it seems pointless to say that it's a breach of ones rights to not vote when you can, if anything it's a breach of one's convenience.

That said, I don't see many benefits to the system to make up for any perceived breach of dem freedomz, so there's that. Arguably it may allow for more representative government since more people will vote, but it may end up being skewed by unmotivated political ignorance...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-03-2015, 04:22 PM
(19-03-2015 02:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Arguably it may allow for more representative government since more people will vote, but it may end up being skewed by unmotivated political ignorance...

That's what I see as the problem; forcing people who are too apathetic to learn anything about the candidates or the issues to cast a vote just for the sake of voting means millions more uninformed voters picking the person with the best soundbite or the best hairstyle. We need more people engaged in the issues, not simply more people voting.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post