Mandatory voting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 10:01 PM
RE: Mandatory voting
They've proposed it in Wales due to the very low turnouts here... Sometimes below 30%!

Anyway, while its a free choice, I'm happy to go to the polls and vote for a party I agree with (assuming there is one). However, if its becomes mandatory, I'll simply refuse to vote. And if they force me, I'll just draw a massive cock and bollocks on my ballot paper, and write "CUNT" next to every candidate's name.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
20-03-2015, 05:18 AM
(19-03-2015 02:09 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  The two party system is a false dichotomy. Most people clearly do not like either party. The funny thing is, if all the non-voters voted for any third party candidate, the outcome wouldn't change, but, the vast majority of voters would have voted against the winner. It would totally discredit the Democrats and Republicans in a way even their insane fringe couldn't deny. It's too bad there's so much apathy.

It's not a two party system. It's just dumb voters afraid of the wrong lizard getting into office.....

(if this makes no sense Google "Douglas Adams/the wrong lizard" ------- all will be made clear).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
20-03-2015, 06:48 AM
To me mandatory voting is all about giving voice to the centre of politics. American politics is all about speaking to your party's own base and motivating them to vote. This leads to aggressively partisan politics with no hope of reasonable compromise. Its easy for centrist voters to look at both major parties and decide neither is worth their vote. Moreover, "first past the post" voting wastes their vote if they choose a minor party candidate. Mandatory voting lets parties spend less money just getting people out to vote and forces them to focus their efforts on convincing the political centre. Mandatory voting forces the centre to decide which parent it likes most in any given electoral cycle.

The system we have in Australia (Queensland) is as follows:
- Polls are on a Saturday and are open from 6am to 6pm if I recall, allowing most people to access the polls easily.
- You must turn up to vote or before the election you must submit a postal vote.
- You can do whatever you want to the ballot paper. If you have made the effort to turn up and still don't like either party you can spoil your ballot. Conscientious objectors have to turn up by they do not have to cast a valid ballot.
- Boxes next to candidate names are numbered in preference order. You can fill out as many squares or as few as you like.
- Your vote goes to your first preference. If no candidate has the required amount the ballots of the candidate with the least primary votes are distributed to their second preference, and so on and so forth until there is a result. This preferential voting system means it is always safe to vote for a minor party you like more than the major parties - your vote will not be lost when your first preference loses.
- If you do not turn up to vote you will get a warning letter from the electoral department but receive no punishment. If you persistently fail to show up you can be fined.

Mandatory voting combined with a preferential voting system is to me so fundamental to a functioning democracy that I find it strange that anyone is OK with a system that does not include these two safeguards.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
20-03-2015, 09:20 PM
I hope it happens in American so I can watch you guys have a fucking cry about a non-issue.
You guys do love to have a good cry about rights and shit all the while denying them to millions of your own citizens.
'Murica! The most retarded Western nation in the world.

That should be your slogan actually.

America: We're retarded and we're proud!
20-03-2015, 10:17 PM
(20-03-2015 09:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hope it happens in American so I can watch you guys have a fucking cry about a non-issue.
You guys do love to have a good cry about rights and shit all the while denying them to millions of your own citizens.

The anti-intellectual movement here is worse than you could possibly imagine.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
20-03-2015, 10:32 PM
(20-03-2015 10:17 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 09:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hope it happens in American so I can watch you guys have a fucking cry about a non-issue.

The anti-intellectual movement here is worse than you could possibly imagine.

Religion does that to a country.
22-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Mandatory voting
Mandatory voting is a very curious way of defending Liberty!
22-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Punishing people for exercising their right to not take part in the democratic process makes as much sense and a mandatory death penalty for attempted suicide. This is just the democrats trying desperately to get some more votes. I do think big money messing with elections should be stopped, but mandatory voting is not a good idea.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
22-03-2015, 08:11 AM
My vote doesn't mean anything, because I live in the Bible Belt. Still, it's good to vote, because people use poll results as a way to gauge changes in public opinion over time.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
22-03-2015, 08:35 AM
It doesnt work in any country that has it.

In Brazil it results in a big number of joke candidates who use the platform to mock other candidates.
In Belgium it made governance even more tedious through the buerocratic nightmares coming eith the logistics and people ignore the law anyway to pay the fine.
In Austria the first thing a president does after the election is to pardon all non voters since it would be a logistical nightmare to prosecute all.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post