Mandatory voting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 08:37 AM
RE: Mandatory voting
(22-03-2015 08:35 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  It doesnt work in any country that has it.

In Brazil it results in a big number of joke candidates who use the platform to mock other candidates.
In Belgium it made governance even more tedious through the buerocratic nightmares coming eith the logistics and people ignore the law anyway to pay the fine.
In Austria the first thing a president does after the election is to pardon all non voters since it would be a logistical nightmare to prosecute all.

That is hilarious.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 09:11 AM
(22-03-2015 08:35 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  It doesnt work in any country that has it.

In Brazil it results in a big number of joke candidates who use the platform to mock other candidates.
In Belgium it made governance even more tedious through the buerocratic nightmares coming eith the logistics and people ignore the law anyway to pay the fine.
In Austria the first thing a president does after the election is to pardon all non voters since it would be a logistical nightmare to prosecute all.

Bullshit! Smile
It would require a process of cultural change in country like the US though. It would have to start out small and grow from there.

(22-03-2015 07:45 AM)brunogoncalves Wrote:  Mandatory voting is a very curious way of defending Liberty!
As is mandatory jury duty and military service.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-03-2015, 09:27 AM
(22-03-2015 09:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

Bullshit! Smile
It would require a process of cultural change in country like the US though. It would have to start out small and grow from there.

(22-03-2015 07:45 AM)brunogoncalves Wrote:  Mandatory voting is a very curious way of defending Liberty!
As is mandatory jury duty and military service.

Yeah right! Fuck actualy examples of things that happend in reality!

I will create my own reality!!!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
23-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Quote:In Brazil it results in a big number of joke candidates who use the platform to mock other candidates.

You say that like it's a bad thing, I don't understand.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-03-2015, 08:38 AM
(22-03-2015 09:27 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 09:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

Bullshit! Smile
Yeah right! Fuck actualy examples of things that happend in reality!
I will create my own reality!!!

Wow. Unsourced references to bad things™ happening somewhere once. That proves Australia where I live doesn't exist. Good one mate.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
24-03-2015, 01:50 PM
I'll be voting for guys like this.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
27-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Mandatory voting would mean that there is some sort of penalty for not voting. That means you have have to come up with fines, etc. and further clog the courts.

Some people would vote just to avoid legal problems and would not necessarily put any thought into their choices.

Seems like a stupid idea on several levels.

Just what we need, more laws that accomplish nothing helpful.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-03-2015, 06:22 AM
No mandatory voting means you send out a warning letter to those who are on the roll but fail to turn up. Only if they are chronic repeat offenders do they get a fine. Then normal fine mechanisms apply. No new legal mechanisms or processes are required.

Again, mandatory voting is a misnomer here. This is all about mandatory "turning up", or having a reasonable excuse.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
28-03-2015, 07:01 AM
I'd feel an alternative system of some minor not really legitimate like $5 but some type of beneficial reward to voting opposed to systems demanding non voters be eventually punished.

I'd also think voting days should be holidays for every nation when they have national elections of an annual rate. The US Tuesday vote is a horrid idea anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-03-2015, 11:05 AM
You can force people to vote. You cannot force them to educate themselves about the issues and candidates and give any actual thought to their votes. Forcing people to vote therefore just introduces an element of randomness (the people who will vote any which way, because they don't care).

The real problem is money and propaganda. The wealthy have always ruled. I like the utopian idea of a nation ruled by an educated populace, but the wealthy people and corporations who run things now are not likely to let that happen.

I'd be happy just to have "None of the above" choice. But they won't allow that, either, because it would show just how little support the big candidates have.

Some have asked above why someone would refuse to vote: One answer is because they despise both candidates in every race. I always vote, mainly because of the ballot measures, but I almost always end up voting for protest candidates.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines