Mandela effect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Mandela effect
So yesterday a friend of mine came on my teamspeak server and had these cool things to tell me.

He started with "do you know the mandela effect"?
He then proceeded to demonstrate it to me.
"So what were those famous words that Darth Vader said to Luke?"
"What are the last words in the song 'We are the champions'?"
"Does Micky Mouse wear suspenders?"
and so on. He had a few of these examples where people usually all remember it the same way but wrong.
So for example with Darth Vader, most people will say "Luke, I am your father." but the actual line was "No, I am your father"

Now I knew about this before and just found it funny but for each one of these I usually come up with simple explanations on why everybody remembers it wrong.

But guess what his explanation was? Time travellers came back and changed things after we already remembered them that way.

He kept bringing up examples and I kept explaining them rationally. In the end he sounded a little bit disappointed, because apparently I had successfully popped that bubble.

But yea, I wanted to share that because as far as I can tell, it's one of those batshit crazy conspiracy theories.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
23-04-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: Mandela effect
Most famous case of this is Berenstain Bears. Most remember it spelled Berenstein. It's just a case of false memories.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
24-04-2017, 06:18 AM
Well a lot of the things are so easily explained that I am puzzled how people actually fall for the whole time traveler or alternate universe thing.

So Berenstein vs Berentain > That name has the root in german language. In German you pronounce both "ai" and "ei" as "aye" So it is absolutely possible that this is the reason for the confusion and also the reason why even on toy boxes it is sometimes written this or the other way.

Same goes for all the spelling things. For example Tiny Tunes vs Tiny Toons. This is because we have the Loony Tunes and the Tiny Toons. And because they would run on TV at the same time or would follow each other, our brains mixed them up because the names are so close.
Same btw for this Meyer vs Mayer thing. Again roots in German. "ey" and "ay" is pronounced "aye" and here we go again. And there are even more spellings in German for that name. I have yet to hear a German starting a concipiracy theory based on the spelling of their last name lol

Here is the Micky Mouse one: He has the buttons that you would need for suspenders and tons of suspenders for children are made by Disney and have Micky Mouse on them. Our brain connects the both and gives Micky Mouse suspender.

Sex and the City vs Sex in the City. Sounds super close especially when saying it fast. We just started saying it fast and it morphed into "in" (a bit like the brainspasm called 'could of')

There is a guy who uses the fucking Simpsons as a source of how things were different and boom they changed. No you cannot use the Simpsons as a source of evidence. The Simpsons are and always have been pop culture, of course they say things that everybody already says.

Luke I am your father vs No I am your father. Easy. Luke is in the scene, they are talking and yelling. We think about Luke. Someone misquoted it at some point. It sounded correct. People started and then kept repeating because it sounds better than No I am your father. So the wrong memory has been reinforced.

The brain is funny thing. It is so moldable and so trickable.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
24-04-2017, 06:38 AM
My ex-wife tells people I said "No, don't leave."

In fact I said "No, don't. Leave!"

Punctuation matters.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-04-2017, 07:34 AM
(24-04-2017 06:18 AM)Leerob Wrote:  Here is the Micky Mouse one: He has the buttons that you would need for suspenders and tons of suspenders for children are made by Disney and have Micky Mouse on them. Our brain connects the both and gives Micky Mouse suspender.

I never have thought that Mickey Mouse wore suspenders...I just figured the buttons were a take a on the weird Navy button fly. Since he began as a steamboat character....

Hmmmm

I never added the "Luke" to the Vader thing either...but I would leave the "No" off..

But it's true everyone does say it that way. The only one that truly flummoxed me was The Berenstain Bears...I had a couple of the books that I would read to the kids when they were little -- but I never really paid attention if it was a "stain" or "stein". When looking back I had no clue which was right.

The alternate universe thing...I mean do people actually believe it, or are they playing a Poe role in all that? I often wonder if many people (like the flat earth types) secretly chuckle at how malleable some people are.

Then I wonder if a few decades from now there will be people who really will believe that FSM boiled for our sins...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-04-2017, 07:59 AM
I'm guessing that suspenders means something different in Amerispeak, in Britain suspenders are what holds up a woman's stockings. I don't think Mickey wears those unless Disney's got him cross-dressing now.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
24-04-2017, 08:02 AM
(24-04-2017 07:59 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm guessing that suspenders means something different in Amerispeak, in Britain suspenders are what holds up a woman's stockings. I don't think Mickey wears those unless Disney's got him cross-dressing now.

These are suspenders here. Called Braces I think in UK.
[Image: suspenders-guide-feat.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
24-04-2017, 08:03 AM
(24-04-2017 08:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 07:59 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm guessing that suspenders means something different in Amerispeak, in Britain suspenders are what holds up a woman's stockings. I don't think Mickey wears those unless Disney's got him cross-dressing now.

These are suspenders here

In Britain we call those braces yes.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
24-04-2017, 08:04 AM
(24-04-2017 08:03 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 08:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  These are suspenders here

In Britain we call those braces

Yeah I looked it up and edited my post. What you guys call suspenders we call garter belts.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
24-04-2017, 08:26 AM
"'Play it again, Sam" spoken by Humphrey Bogart?

Nope. "Play it, Sam" spoken by Ingrid Bergman.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post