• 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Manga
Are there any readers?
If so which series do you read on?
Are there any you would recommend?
I am presently reading Hellsing!
Then hoping to work on The Betrayal.
Otherwise have had some interest in Angel Sanctuary. Has anyone read it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like AnotherSinner's post
31-03-2012, 04:41 PM
RE: Manga
I used to like manga and anime and well... Anything Japanese.
It just sort of went away though.
He last thing I read that had any oriental background was an interesting book that just got made into a passable movie.
Battle royale.
It's huge and is a pretty big time investment if you're not a fast reader.
But it's much better than the movie as most books usually are.

The last manga I was into was lone wolf and cub. Not sure if it was actually Japanese though but it fits the format. It was excellent. Reminded me of the stupendous films sanjuro and yojimbo.
I heart Akira Kurosawa and toshiro mifune.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I just got done reading some Berserk as recommended by Filox. It's pretty good, although I don't have a lot of other manga experience to judge it by.

Filox is going to be your new best friend if you will say you like Berserk. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
31-03-2012, 06:56 PM
(31-03-2012 05:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just got done reading some Berserk as recommended by Filox. It's pretty good, although I don't have a lot of other manga experience to judge it by.

Filox is going to be your new best friend if you will say you like Berserk. Big Grin
Watched some of that series and fell in love with it! If the manga is half as good as the anime then yes I am game!
[+] 1 user Likes AnotherSinner's post
31-03-2012, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 12:51 PM by Lilith Pride.)
The Battle Royale movie was made quite a while ago (2000), unless you mean Battle Royale with Cheese (aka Hunger Games). It was released in the US recently because no one wanted to bring it ver before now due to the graphic content.
I primarily watch anime due to my interest in the Japanese language. It helps me keep my ear trained a bit since I'm not very active in japanese speech. I read manga as well sometimes, in both I'm for all genres though I really like gender stories. My favorite is a silly one called Kashimashi girl meets girl about a boy who is hit by a spaceship and has a new female body made afterwards. There's also stuff like IS (not I's) which is a collection of intersexed stories to help spread awareness. I enjoy that the media has a lot of very entertaining stories to teach important and difficult lssons with. I also catch almost everything that comes out =p I'm pretty up to date on the most recent anime aiing in japan. Sadly the last gender anime being aired in Japan failed to end ue to the tsunami et all that happened not too long ago. It was wierd that the anime only missed 1 week of being aired.
That's enough rambling for now =p If you want some suggestions I can offer a wide variety.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
01-04-2012, 05:01 AM
I've been reading for a few years already, there are quite a few interesting titles (at least for me).
Nozoki Ana - Ecchi, but you stop paying attention to erotic parts quite fast because of the plot and character development.
Doubt, or Judge, quite similar to each other.
Holyland - if you're into fighting, which is very detailed in here.
After School Nightmare - tells story of someone, who's not either fully male or female.
Onani Master Kurosawa - 'onani' means masturbation, but it's not as childish as it may seem.
And a bit of drama with ALIVE! and Blue Heaven. Have fun! ; )
01-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Didn't know it was made in 2000. It's on new release shelves here.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
(01-04-2012 07:00 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Didn't know it was made in 2000. It's on new release shelves here.
Third World countries usually get our movies long after they've been released.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
02-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I will admit, I do love me some manga. So far, I have read:

Hellsing - Simply Amazing! If you haven't, check out the two anime series. There are the originals from 2003-04 and they're currently working on a 10 part OVA series. The first four have been dubbed into english, the next five can only be found subbed, and the tenth episode has yet to be released.
Hellsing: The Dawn - A prequel series that's still in the making. I believe there have been six chapters released.
Highschool of the Dead - Highschoolers trying to survive the zombie apocalypse with your typical Japanese humor and oversized tits.
Battle Royal - Lucradis hit the nail on the head with this one. Good manga, passable movie.
Naruto - In one word, ninjas. I recommend NOT watching the associated anime for this. There are literally seasons of fillers that have nothing to do with the manga.
Bleach - This one is a bit harder to explain. "Soul Reapers" fight spirit monsters to help save the living. Same advice as the Naruto anime.
Fullmetal Alchemist - The story of two brothers who live in a world where alchemy prevailed over mechanical science. As with Hellsing, there are two different anime series, and a movie!

While I haven't read the manga, series I would suggest based off of the anime:
Cowboy Bebop - If for nothing but amazing blues music, find the OST from the anime
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Outlaw Star
Scrapped Princess
Wolf's Rain

Also, while not technically considered manga, check out these graphic novels:
Scott Pilgrim
The Walking Dead

Every series I've mentioned above has an accompanying anime series and or moive that's as good if not better than the manga, with the notable exceptions of Battle Royal, Naruto, and Bleach.

That list should keep you busy for a while Big Grin

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
[+] 1 user Likes Zephony's post
02-04-2012, 03:16 AM
(31-03-2012 06:56 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 05:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just got done reading some Berserk as recommended by Filox. It's pretty good, although I don't have a lot of other manga experience to judge it by.

Watched some of that series and fell in love with it! If the manga is half as good as the anime then yes I am game!

Wait what?!? Half as good? It's 10 time more brutal, bloody and dark than that children's cartoon. Hell yeah it's better!

Smile

I always find it interesting how no one ever heard of Berserk, yet it is the most popular manga in Japan for the last 20 years... Anyway, not to repeat myself, here is the link, we have discussed it here... So, you have all the data there, on the link, for any other questions, please do contact me, I will be glad to help.

[Image: sv.php?w=konachan_com__28444_berserk_gut...amp;v=view]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson