Manger Scenes at Restaurants/Buisinesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Manger Scenes at Restaurants/Buisinesses
(I have no idea where a topic like this would go but I'm curious and I wanted to make this thread so it's going HERE!)

Alrighty, here's a little back story. I work at a gas station and occasionally we'll get fund raisers but we didn't get one this month. I was talking with my co-worker about how even though it's weird that we're not trying to get people to donate a dollar in the time of year when it's a kind of popular thing to do, it's sort of whatever since hardly anyone donates when we have the fundraisers. Jokingly, I suggested that we put little manger scenes at each register so the the customers can look into the eyes of little baby Jebus and "have him work in their hearts" to donate a dollar (yeah, I know I'm awful).

My co-worker tells me that in a past job she worked at a privately owned fast food chain restaurant. Every year, the owner hung a sign that said, "Happy Birthday Jesus" over by the play area. They had a customer come in and demand they take down the sign because it offended her. The owner said no because he owned the restaurant so he had to right to hang it. The customer called corporate and they told her they couldn't do anything about it since it was privately owned. The customer called the restaurant back, demanding that she get a free meal because her family and her had to look at the sign as they ate there. The owner refused. I'm sure something like that happened more than once but that was the only occurrence she told me of.

It made me wonder how other non-believers feel about manger scenes and religious Christmas decorations at restaurants and businesses. Personally I don't care. Partly because I'm desensitized to it. Growing up in the Bible Belt, I'm used to seeing almost every other fast food place with their own manger scene. Partly because I can respect that people have rights. If they own the business or the company allows them to decorate their restaurant's lawn with plastic Biblical figures, they can do it whether I like it or not. Where it would draw the line for me is if the business was doing things to force their beliefs on their customers or employees. Like if they were forcing pamphlets about the birth of Jesus and his oh-so-glorious life into the hands of their customers or making their employees wish people a merry Christmas instead of happy holidays though the employee doesn't celebrate Christmas. That's the owner directly forcing their beliefs on their customer's/employee's rights, which I feel is different from the decorations since the decorations are an expression of their belief (if that makes sense).

But yeah, what do all y'alls think? Would seeing a "Happy Birthday Jesus" sign while you're chewing on your Krabby Patty bother you? Should privately owned chain restaurants/businesses be able to put cheesy little manger scenes and the like for all to see?Do you agree with anything I just spewed out? Do you even remember when fast food places had play areas? I do, I was always afraid I'd get lost when I played in them. I suppose I was a strange child.

Bonus, here's a "Weird Al" song I don't think many people know exists. Christmas at Ground Zero. It just popped into my head so I thought I'd share while I was at it. Enjoy! Yes

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
10-12-2013, 02:47 PM
RE: Manger Scenes at Restaurants/Buisinesses
It doesn't really bother me because I've always seen them, whether out on a lawn or at a local church or elsewhere.

I love the ones with the crosses on the manger. Baby Jesus must have been thinking, "Ah, shit".

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Meh. My local Thai place that I love so much had a mega shrine in the doorway, year round. A little baby born in a barn scene doesn't bug me. Smile
10-12-2013, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 08:29 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
(10-12-2013 08:10 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Meh. My local Thai place that I love so much had a mega shrine in the doorway, year round. A little baby born in a barn scene doesn't bug me. Smile

Shrines just don't give that creepy vibe from me. They're more personal, most of the ones I've seen a well kept, dusted properly, unlike the 20-year old mangers where the sun has bleached the paint and a disgruntled bird took a dump on baby Jesus's head. I mean, you ever walk into someone's house and see they have a collection of ceramic dolls? THAT is what I feel when I see the older mangers. Not the "out once a year" but "out all year round" ones. The local Sally Anne has one and when I pass by it it's sorta creepy. Not to mention it represents a character that is believed to be watching you every moment of your life - at least you dead relatives would give you space when you want to rub one out if ghosts actually existed.

LOL

Omg that was so fun to write. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
10-12-2013, 08:30 PM
There are no year-round displays here, they all get taken down by the time Ukrainian Christmas is over. I guess then you'd hate to visit THIS PLACE! HoboEvil_monster
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
10-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Seems to me like you can eat somewhere else if you are that fussed about it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-12-2013, 08:32 PM
(10-12-2013 08:30 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  There are no year-round displays here, they all get taken down by the time Ukrainian Christmas is over. I guess then you'd hate to visit THIS PLACE! HoboEvil_monster

Is it strange to say no? Maybe it's the owners and not the dolls themselves... Blink

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
10-12-2013, 08:46 PM
(10-12-2013 08:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Seems to me like you can eat somewhere else if you are that fussed about it.

Why not put a sing up that says "Christians only".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Would you be upset if they had Santa and his reindeer on display? I guess I just don't see the difference...

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
11-12-2013, 03:55 AM
Meh, It doesn't bother me.