Manitoba to be renamed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2018, 06:44 PM
RE: Manitoba to be renamed...
(08-02-2018 06:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Somewhere I have a column by a local journalist proposing a hardcore effort to degenderfy the language. He took particular umbrage at replacing "man" or "woman" with "person", pointing out the male bias of the second syllable.

He suggested that at a very minimum we needed to start using the companion term "perdaughter". But at the end, in the interests of efficiency, suggested moving from "person" to the single blanket term "persibling".

Shouldn't that be perchild? I'd suggest peroffspring but that would alienate the other seasons, especially if they were on.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2018, 07:39 PM
I've lost count of the knuckle-draggers who are taking this very seriously. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2018, 08:00 PM
(08-02-2018 06:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Big Grin

Somewhere I have a column by a local journalist proposing a hardcore effort to degenderfy the language. He took particular umbrage at replacing "man" or "woman" with "person", pointing out the male bias of the second syllable.

He suggested that at a very minimum we needed to start using the companion term "perdaughter". But at the end, in the interests of efficiency, suggested moving from "person" to the single blanket term "persibling".

This, mind you, was written nearly 30 years ago.

Seeing as the son in person has nothing to do with son as male offspring, not to mention that in a quite a few language where words have genders, the word person is actually feminine...

I can only assume he was trying to be funny. Because I need to hold on to the rest my faith in humanity. Sleepy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
09-02-2018, 08:52 PM
I'm a little personally offended of all of this. It's my belief that we are all called species-kind. It's a little more inclusive and fair.
09-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Creationists would be glad to hear us talking about "kinds". Tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Created_kind

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-02-2018, 02:32 PM
The Christian Satire Site the Babylon Bee is coming into the fun with "Justin Trudeau Deploys Squads of Royal Mounties Across Canada to Arrest Anyone Saying 'Mankind'."

Quote:OTTAWA, ON—In order to ensure the politically correct use of the English language across the nation, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau deployed a special squad of Royal Canadian Mounted Police to patrol cities, towns, and neighborhoods making sure no one uses outdated terms like “mankind.”

According to Trudeau, anyone caught saying “mankind” instead of the more inclusive “peoplekind” will be apprehended and taken away to an undisclosed location.

“This is 2018,” Trudeau said in a speech, which was politely applauded by hundreds of Canadian citizens. “Any word containing the syllable—trigger warning—’man’ is now illegal under Canadian federal law.”

Other words banned under the new regulations include mandatory, mandate, and manatee, which will be replaced by the more inclusive terms peopledatory, peopledate, and peopleatee respectively, according to a statement published by the Canadian government.

Immediately after the announcement was issued, one man in Hamilton was ordering coffee at Tim Horton’s, and said, “Can I speak to the manager, eh?” to the cashier. An on-duty Mountie quickly tackled him to the ground, took him outside, and threw him across the saddle of his horse for relocation to the local re-education facility, claiming the man should have used the gender-neutral term “PEOPLEager.” The arrest was later described by passersby as “very polite.”

Need to think of a witty signature.
10-02-2018, 04:24 PM
(10-02-2018 02:32 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The Christian Satire Site the Babylon Bee is coming into the fun with "Justin Trudeau Deploys Squads of Royal Mounties Across Canada to Arrest Anyone Saying 'Mankind'."

Quote:OTTAWA, ON—In order to ensure the politically correct use of the English language across the nation, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau deployed a special squad of Royal Canadian Mounted Police to patrol cities, towns, and neighborhoods making sure no one uses outdated terms like “mankind.”

According to Trudeau, anyone caught saying “mankind” instead of the more inclusive “peoplekind” will be apprehended and taken away to an undisclosed location.

“This is 2018,” Trudeau said in a speech, which was politely applauded by hundreds of Canadian citizens. “Any word containing the syllable—trigger warning—’man’ is now illegal under Canadian federal law.”

Other words banned under the new regulations include mandatory, mandate, and manatee, which will be replaced by the more inclusive terms peopledatory, peopledate, and peopleatee respectively, according to a statement published by the Canadian government.

Immediately after the announcement was issued, one man in Hamilton was ordering coffee at Tim Horton’s, and said, “Can I speak to the manager, eh?” to the cashier. An on-duty Mountie quickly tackled him to the ground, took him outside, and threw him across the saddle of his horse for relocation to the local re-education facility, claiming the man should have used the gender-neutral term “PEOPLEager.” The arrest was later described by passersby as “very polite.”

I like the "related articles" on the bottom of that page.
http://babylonbee.com/news/southern-pove...te-groups/
Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Some Star Trek fans came unglued when "The Next Generation" came out - and the captain' s talk over at the beginning of the show was changed from " to boldly go where no man has gone before" (Kirk) to " to boldly go where no one has gone before." (Piccard).

Then again, these are people who believe Klingon is a real language - so their opinions are suspect..

Moral of story - anything you say is going to piss somebody off....

Tongue

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
10-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Manitoba to be remanned?
10-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Unmanned, rather Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."