Manliness & Womanliness

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
01-11-2017, 06:36 AM
RE: Manliness
(01-11-2017 06:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 05:48 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Oh yes, that's true! Sometimes manliness is adverse to the nature and ecology - manpower has laid waste to the natural world already.

All the other animals piss outside, so there's that. Consider

Yes, but I found out the hard way that not all bears shit in the woods.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2017, 06:37 AM
RE: Womanliness
Are you going to tell us what women want?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-11-2017, 07:22 AM
RE: Manliness & Womanliness
THREADS MERGED

No real need to have two threads.

Carry on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-11-2017, 07:32 AM
What the fuck do these terms even mean?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
01-11-2017, 07:36 AM
(01-11-2017 07:32 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What the fuck do these terms even mean?

I guess that's the question, but I don't think there's any one standard for either anymore.

Personally, I find people who dress themselves up to seem either ultra-masculine or ultra-feminine rather offputting.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-11-2017, 07:49 AM
It's culturally-based. I think all humans have a mix of both male and female characteristics--or what society would deem as male and female characteristics. And in each person the ratio of how much "womanliness" and how much "manliness" varies.

In terms of society's view, and being a woman myself, I would say I'm a feminine looking person (I like hair, nails, makeup, clothes, shoes). That said, I have a guy's sense of humor, I like to hike, camp, backpack, don't mind getting dirty, am not the neatest person, I like building things, being outdoors, climbing things, doing adventurous things that involve a bit of an adrenaline rush, I'm not domesticated in terms of homemaking in the least, I think I'm pretty brave and courageous, and I'm pretty strong for my size (qualities some may say fall under the "manliness" category). Basically my boyfriend refers to me as his "delicate flower" as a running joke Laugh out load On the flip side though, I'm sensitive and nurturing (qualities some may deem as "feminine").

This is just my own personal example, but I know many people that run the gamut between male and female characteristics within their own personalities. Personally, I think "manliness" and "womanliness" are just ways to put people into a box and label them, which is why I hate labels because there is so much gray in lfe.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
01-11-2017, 08:04 AM
I'm not really sure is being Manly or Womanly is even a thing any more, at least in my mind. Women can act more "manly" than some men, and vice versa, so yeah. If anything it just seems to be another stereotype that is/was enforced on us all socially, like "men have to be manly and drink beer, whilst changing a tire on a car, covered in oil and go shooting" or something lol.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
01-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Well, I don't think there is binary gender categories of being either male or female. I think it's a spectrum. I've known very masculine men and I've known effeminate men and both types were straight. I've also known masculine women and highly delicate women, also straight.

The world isn't just Marilyn Monroe on one side and John Wayne on the other. That's an American perception that many people in this country still reference. No, nature isn't a cookie cutter of genders. Nature throws out variety.

I also don't think gender was questioned much in past centuries. Life was all about just trying to survive and get through the winter or grow enough food to feed the family or survive the latest plague. People didn't have the time and luxury to think about their gender or sexuality, especially the vast, struggling-to-survive, population. But we do today, and what we see is a wide variety of masculine and feminine people around us.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-11-2017, 09:36 AM
(01-11-2017 08:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The world isn't just Marilyn Monroe on one side and John Wayne on the other.
I can't recall who said pretty much exactly that recently, something like "What happened to the time when all men wanted to be John Wayne" , but insinuating it was to do with how masculine or lack-there-of men are today.

Surely that's just a thing that relates to the times? Like I'm sure John Wayne was super cool back in the day, and being a "large" man who drank/swore or whatever was something people aspired to be, and hell I like John Wayne movies, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to be like him lol.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
01-11-2017, 10:15 AM
(01-11-2017 06:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 05:48 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Oh yes, that's true! Sometimes manliness is adverse to the nature and ecology - manpower has laid waste to the natural world already.

All the other animals piss outside, so there's that. Consider

My bunnies piss inside in their box. So there's that. Consider

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.