Manual for creating atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Manual for creating atheists
Anyone else HATE this title?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
21-11-2013, 08:01 AM
RE: Manual for creating atheists
Is it of a forthcoming book?
21-11-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 08:20 AM by Hafnof.)
I get the impression that the content is better than the title, but I haven't taken a look at it yet. I might wait for the audio book.

PJ:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...heist-book
http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Creating-At...1939578094

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I do not like the title. I don't think atheists are "created". That smacks of indoctrination and that is something most of us have issues with.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 6 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
21-11-2013, 09:48 AM
(21-11-2013 08:50 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I do not like the title. I don't think atheists are "created". That smacks of indoctrination and that is something most of us have issues with.

Yeah, it strikes me as unnecessarily sensational, likely for marketing purposes.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah. It kind of reinforces the idea we're always confronting that atheism is a belief. The goal isn't to convert people to atheism but rather to get them to critically evaluate existing beliefs that won't hold up to scrutiny.

"Faith is the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail."

-Sam Harris, The View from the End of the World SALT talk
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
21-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Wink
You're welcome
[Image: National-Atheist-Party.png]
[Image: hug_an_atheist.jpg]
[Image: 80e5fb7227f3b9cd0a9b5817213424a5.jpg]
21-11-2013, 03:05 PM
(21-11-2013 02:58 PM)Ronga23 Wrote:  [Image: hug_an_atheist.jpg]

Is God willing to prevent the usage of Comic Sans MS, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh Comic Sans MS?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

Drinking Beverage

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
21-11-2013, 03:10 PM
(21-11-2013 03:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 02:58 PM)Ronga23 Wrote:  [Image: hug_an_atheist.jpg]

Is God willing to prevent the usage of Comic Sans MS, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh Comic Sans MS?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

Drinking Beverage

A great philosopher said that once when he wanted to choose fonts. (I think Tongue)
PS: I like "Constantia Font" in subtitled movies, works great in virtualdub Smile
21-11-2013, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 03:34 PM by Reltzik.)
I like Comic Sans. If God is the font from which all flows, then why do we have fonts (like Gothic) which are not flowing? CHECKMATE, THEISTS!

More seriously, I'm reading through this book now. It's mostly about shifting people from an epistemology of "knowledge" through faith towards an epistemology of skepticism, questioning, and reason. The author asserts (and I find quite plausible) that this will turn many theists into atheists, but the focus on methodology can hardly be described as indoctrination. IIRC, the author gave an interview... I think it was on Dogma Debate... where he said he wanted to call the book "Street Epistemology" but the editor or publisher changed it.

(21-11-2013 11:56 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Yeah. It kind of reinforces the idea we're always confronting that atheism is a belief. The goal isn't to convert people to atheism but rather to get them to critically evaluate existing beliefs that won't hold up to scrutiny.

That's almost exactly what the book's about, except the focus is more on targeting the basis for the false belief rather than the belief itself. To paraphrase him, "I don't want to hit the target on the bullseye, I want to level the entire field on which the target is standing."

(... dammit, this forum needs a Comic Sans font.)