Manual for creating atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 03:29 PM by Cathym112.)
Manual for creating atheists
So I downloaded the audiobook (I listen to books while I run). I hated this book. The way Peter tries to rally Atheists against Theists with some kind of "its your duty" battle cry seems to only reinforce the stereotype that Atheists are Anti-Theists.

The way he talks about how theists that were originally angry at his "intervention", have later thanked him for showing them the way to doubt rings similar bells of those ministers, priests and preachers who has claimed that people have later thanked them for showing them the way to god.

I was hoping for a creative way to punch holes in the logic protection barriers but I found myself really resenting the way this book was written.

Have you read the book? What are your thoughts?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
15-01-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Manual for creating atheists
I hate this notion that atheism is a "movement".

What movement? I dont believe in god, which is just as relevant to my life like the fact that I like Korean food and BDSM.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
15-01-2014, 07:13 PM
(15-01-2014 04:22 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I hate this notion that atheism is a "movement".

What movement? I dont believe in god, which is just as relevant to my life like the fact that I like Korean food and BDSM.

If society was populated by people who liked to drink battery acid, and encouraged it, who am I to stop it? I'm a non battery acid drinker, and that's it.

But i'd like to adopt other labels and take action to stop this practice in society. I'd be a dick to not at least make some effort to curtail it. Minimal effort is better than no effort.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
15-01-2014, 07:37 PM
I read about half and couldn't finish for the same reasons Cathy. Not worth my time.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2014, 02:15 AM
I've not read the book but the title alone makes me kind of queasy. I don't mold my children with an agenda. I encourage them to think in a questioning, all encompassing, out-side of the box, expository kind of way (I hope).
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
16-01-2014, 04:38 AM
I'm with you LJ, in principle.

But then again... seeing what damage the mormon missionaries have done to people like Alla, I can't help but think we should go on the offensive.

But then again... time and science are on our side so evolution is better than revolution.

But then again... it upsets me to see fellow apes enslaved by the addiction-peddlars.

But then again... aarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Sad

[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
16-01-2014, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 08:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
Saw this credo from a "New Atheist" over at Salon, which apparently is a euphemism for anti-theist. Girly can't be bothered with anti-theism so I figured I'd respond here.

15 ways atheists can stand up for rationality.

Actually 16, 10 was repeated. Doesn't bode well for Salon's editors. Tongue

1. “Let’s say grace!”
I'll go along with that and bow my head and close my eyes. Naps are good no matter the duration.

2. “Religion is a personal matter. It’s not polite to bring it up.”
"Metaphysics is a personal matter. It's not polite to bring it up."
fixt

3. “You’re an atheist? I feel sorry for you.”
I feel sorry for me too, although for entirely different reasons.

4. “If you’re an atheist, life has no purpose.”
I got one job. Making purpose. Sure as shit ain't gonna cede it to nobody, especially no God. I got one job.

5. “If you abolish religion, nothing will stop people from killing, raping and looting.”
Ain't had religion going on 40 years now, ain't killed, raped or looted yet and I sure as shit ain't gonna start now.

6. “Nothing can equal the majesty of God and His creation.”
Euler's identity. [Image: euler2-2.jpg]

7. “It is irrational to believe that the world came about without a creator.”
It is irrational to believe in causation. It is just a convenient explanatory concept. cf. Hume

8. “I will pray for you to see the light.”
Pray away. Ah fuck it, move over, I'll pray with you.

9. “If you’re wrong about God, you go to hell. It’s safer to believe.”
Any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is not only utterly untenable bullshit with no conceivable, let alone plausible, mechanism of action, it seems nonsensical.

10. “Religion is of great comfort to me, especially in times of loss. Too bad it isn’t for you.”
Fair enough. Pharmaceuticals provide great comfort to me. ... Here, you wanna try some?

11. “As you age and face death, you will come to need religion.”
Watched my grandfather die over the course of a week after a heart attack. Watched my grandfather lose his lifelong religion over the course of a week.

12. “You have no right to criticize my religious beliefs.”
You are correct within my workplace. Proselytism and religious criticism is verboten at the risk of my job and livelihood. Outside of my workplace, I got no good reason or even inclination to even consider or give a shit about your religious beliefs, let alone criticize them.

13. “Jesus was merciful.”
"If he existed – and there is still, after centuries of searching, no proof that he did – he was at times a heartless prophet of doom for the sinners he supposedly loved, commanding those who failed to give comfort to the poor to 'depart . . . ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.' ”

My interpretation of The Word there is if you ain't got empathy you're fucked. Like right here, right now.

14. ”You can’t prove there’s no God.”
Proofs are overrated.

15. “My religion is true for me.”
False. Everything is false.

16. “Don’t take everything in the Bible literally."
This atheist still reads the Red Letter Version of the New Testament for inspiration. I am convinced The Christ was an atheist and The Word is save yourself, save the world. Tongue

This is not my signature.
[+] 9 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-01-2014, 08:06 PM
It reminded me of Crystal Healing books. "This was my experience. If you've tried it out and had another experience, don't worry - you're still doing a great job! Keep it up!" Hobo

I wouldn't consider it a manual.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-01-2014, 12:19 AM
I intend to buy it very soon.

Based on your verdict, I'd say it's just the book for my rallying, battle-cry-loving, anti-theist self. Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 12:36 AM
There is nothing wrong with being an anti-theist.

The Out Crowd.