Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 02:39 PM
RE: Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics
My all time favorite is the picking and choosing of the OT laws that suit them.

They hang their hat on ignoring the dietary restrictions of Leviticus on a single verse from the NT that basically says you should not reject any of god's creations (I an not going to bother looking it up). A verse that is so broad as to be possibly interpreted to mean I should go out and eat some poison oak (ivy east of the Mississippi). Fornication remains, however, a sin because it is there and christians want it to be.

Not sure how they get around the sacrifice of goats and such but I am sure that there is a way out of that one also.

The basic point is most practicing christains pick and choose out of the OT with no apparent concern about how they do it, and no concern about what that means about the whole of their bullshit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 03:28 PM by Phil Hill.)
Re: RE: Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics
(31-01-2014 02:39 PM)JAH Wrote:  My all time favorite is the picking and choosing of the OT laws that suit them.

They hang their hat on ignoring the dietary restrictions of Leviticus on a single verse from the NT that basically says you should not reject any of god's creations (I an not going to bother looking it up). A verse that is so broad as to be possibly interpreted to mean I should go out and eat some poison oak (ivy east of the Mississippi). Fornication remains, however, a sin because it is there and christians want it to be.

Not sure how they get around the sacrifice of goats and such but I am sure that there is a way out of that one also.

The basic point is most practicing christains pick and choose out of the OT with no apparent concern about how they do it, and no concern about what that means about the whole of their bullshit.

That dietary verse is an incorrect interpretation of Peter's dream. In it he sees a sheet full of unclean animals and is told to eat. Christians mostly stop there conveniently so they can eat whatever they want. About two chapters later Peter explains the dream meant eating with unclean gentiles was ok to do but Christians ignore that last part. Think it's in Acts somewhere. As far as what Jesus supposedly said was only that it isn't what goes in that makes a man unclean but a scribal comment in parentheses no less says he declared all foods clean when he never mentioned food. Guess even back then bacon held firmly to men's bellies.

EDIT: Acts 10

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 07:39 PM
(31-01-2014 02:55 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  That dietary verse is an incorrect interpretation of Peter's dream. In it he sees a sheet full of unclean animals and is told to eat. Christians mostly stop there conveniently so they can eat whatever they want. About two chapters later Peter explains the dream meant eating with unclean gentiles was ok to do but Christians ignore that last part. Think it's in Acts somewhere. As far as what Jesus supposedly said was only that it isn't what goes in that makes a man unclean but a scribal comment in parentheses no less says he declared all foods clean when he never mentioned food. Guess even back then bacon held firmly to men's bellies.

EDIT: Acts 10

I always heard the justification for it is Jesus saying that a person isn't made unclean by what goes in their mouth, but by what comes out of it.

That being said, it's not like they don't cherry pick elsewhere. In another recent thread, someone quoted the verse about how Jesus didn't come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it; however, if you read the next verse, he says not a single pen stroke of the law will be changed until the heavens and earth have passed.

Oops. And they accuse us of taking stuff out of context.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
31-01-2014, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 08:26 PM by Elfsiren.)
Re: Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics
Is it really necessary for a Christian to be defined by belief in the Bible? If they don't believe the things in the Bible, are they a pretend Christian?

Edit: I just found this forum in Tapatalk. I think the question is a good one. I'm a (pretend?) Christian and thought I'd put in my two cents. I know you guys might be unwilling to speak to me or let me speak, but I promise I'll behave! Big Grin

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2014, 09:16 PM
(31-01-2014 08:23 PM)Elfsiren Wrote:  Is it really necessary for a Christian to be defined by belief in the Bible? If they don't believe the things in the Bible, are they a pretend Christian?

Edit: I just found this forum in Tapatalk. I think the question is a good one. I'm a (pretend?) Christian and thought I'd put in my two cents. I know you guys might be unwilling to speak to me or let me speak, but I promise I'll behave! Big Grin

Welcome aboard! Snacks are in the pantry, seating is first come, first served, and you are expected to empty your own ashtray. Oh, and you can send your dues to me.

Soooooo... Are you saying you don't believe in the Bible at all, or just not in selected pieces and parts?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
31-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Re: Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics
Thanks for the welcome!

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I'd have to say parts of it. I don't pick and choose for the occasion of argument though, I guess I can describe it as I believe in the core and the message, but not so much the content.

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 09:26 PM
(30-01-2014 07:42 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  No according to what Christians claim to believe their actions must agree with their beliefs.

No that is plainly untrue and it has nothing specifically to do with Christians and Christianity. It is a banality that humans don't behave in a manner that is entirely consistent with their sincerely held beliefs. Compliance with a dietary and exercise regime that has the goal of losing excess weight is a well-studied example. Deviation from such a regime doesn't entail that the person doesn't actually want to lose weight or that they don't believe that a proportion of surplus calories are stored as fat.
31-01-2014, 09:27 PM
(30-01-2014 08:08 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Then how the fuck can you say I'm arrogant when you refuse to answer a simple fucking question you idiot?

Because you are in effect claiming a kind of omniscience and you are pushing a double-standard.
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
31-01-2014, 09:32 PM
(30-01-2014 09:05 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  No, if isn't an answer. So in the house that they own which according to their beliefs they should sell, they have no furniture. Sorry but your example is not believable nor is it verifiable.

Sorry but you made a statement that is in principle unverifiable and you are now pretending to occupy some epistemic high-ground?
31-01-2014, 09:35 PM
(30-01-2014 09:20 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  their actions must follow their beliefs.

Where does this must come from? Actions are not always consistent with belief, that is commonplace amongst all humans.