Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 05:22 PM
RE: Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics
(30-01-2014 02:32 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 02:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ambrose Bierce

His character in From Dusk To Dawn 3 was hilarious.

Wait.....what?

We aren't talking about the same guy, the Bierce I quote lived 1842-1914
http://www.online-literature.com/bierce/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Sometimes they ask for prayers like asking for strength, or as in wish me luck, God is as relevant as "oh my God orgasms".

I have no issue with the theist who subconsciously knows God will not, cannot help and is just asking for emotional had holding.
But the ones who subconciously think god will intervene based on prayer I will keep my children away from.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
30-01-2014, 06:23 PM
(30-01-2014 05:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 02:32 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  His character in From Dusk To Dawn 3 was hilarious.

Wait.....what?

You are both right. Actual guy and character in the movie.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
30-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Re: RE: Many Christians don't believe their own apologetics
(30-01-2014 05:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 02:32 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  His character in From Dusk To Dawn 3 was hilarious.

Wait.....what?

You didn't read what I wrote.

Using Tapatalk
30-01-2014, 06:56 PM
(30-01-2014 02:03 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  There are no Christians that actually believe what they claim to believe. They believe they believe but that is self-deception.
How do you know that? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-01-2014, 07:02 PM
(30-01-2014 06:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 02:03 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  There are no Christians that actually believe what they claim to believe. They believe they believe but that is self-deception.
How do you know that? Consider

I'll ask you to do the same thing I asked Raptor Jesus. Point out one Christian who's action ALL agree with the bible. And to make it easy you can just consider the new testament and the parts of the old testament that it references. Remember though that Jesus said do the commandments and be also said sell all you have and give to the poor. I'll be waiting for your response...

Using Tapatalk
30-01-2014, 07:18 PM
(30-01-2014 07:02 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  I'll ask you to do the same thing I asked Raptor Jesus. Point out one Christian who's action ALL agree with the bible. And to make it easy you can just consider the new testament and the parts of the old testament that it references. Remember though that Jesus said do the commandments and be also said sell all you have and give to the poor. I'll be waiting for your response...
Yeah, well, about that... that's not an answer to my question since a Christian's beliefs don't have to reflect his actions. At best, you can argue that many Christians don't behave in a Christ-like manner, but the assertion that they don't actually believe what they say they believe does not only reek of arrogance, it's completely unsupportable.

30-01-2014, 07:19 PM
(30-01-2014 05:12 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Free will doesn't need to be 100% for purposes of a PoE defense.

Free will is necessary for pretty much the evil portion of the PoE. If you expand the PoE to include suffering, so as to include natural disasters and disease, then free will doesn't cover that. For that, people tend to branch out toward the "best of all possible worlds" and "you have to know dark to know light".

That being said, this doesn't change the fact that most people believe that God's Will will be done, and yet, they pray anyway. This means, either they think they can change God's mind (lol) or that what they asked for was God's will anyway, making the request redundant.

The only remaining option was that it was God's will that they ask, and he wasn't going to fix it unless they did... which is just weird as hell, frankly, and reeks of self esteem issues. I actually knew a guy like that in college. He was super creepy. He'd hide things so that people couldn't leave, and then he'd find them to be the hero for a brief moment.
30-01-2014, 07:24 PM
(30-01-2014 07:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:02 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  I'll ask you to do the same thing I asked Raptor Jesus. Point out one Christian who's action ALL agree with the bible. And to make it easy you can just consider the new testament and the parts of the old testament that it references. Remember though that Jesus said do the commandments and be also said sell all you have and give to the poor. I'll be waiting for your response...
Yeah, well, about that... that's not an answer to my question since a Christian's beliefs don't have to reflect his actions. At best, you can argue that many Christians don't behave in a Christ-like manner, but the assertion that they don't actually believe what they say they believe does not only reek of arrogance, it's completely unsupportable.

According to what they claim to believe their actions most certainly must match their beliefs now I'm still waiting for you to name one Christian.

Using Tapatalk
30-01-2014, 07:36 PM
(30-01-2014 07:24 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  According to what they claim to believe their actions most certainly must match their beliefs now I'm still waiting for you to name one Christian.
No, you don't understand what I'm saying. If someone's behavior doesn't reflect his beliefs, that doesn't make him a liar, it makes him a hypocrite.