Many worlds, parallel universes and pantheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Many worlds, parallel universes and pantheism
How do pantheists and pandeists feel about the all the multiverse hypotheses? What will happen if one of them is found to be fact (By say, contacting people in parallel universes) and it becomes a theory? Will pantheism evolve into moderate and fundamentalist factions, the moderates claiming that the existence of the multiverse is largely irrelevant, that they had it slightly wrong and that pantheism includes all universes in the multiverse, that the multiverse and god are synonymous? Will the fundamentalist pantheists be fighting to keep the parallel universe theory out of science classrooms? Will there be atheist and pantheist arguments? Will the pantheists vote to keep us from being allowed to visit these parallel universes, as is our right? Will a dangerous cult emerge, a cult that promotes Poly-panthesism, the idea that all the universes in the multiverse are individuals?

I for one think its best to start preparing now, we are winning the war against 'monotheism', but the sneaky pantheists, in cahoots with the pandeists, are no doubt biding their time and plotting a revolution! We mustn't let our guard down! We must start inventing snarky, witty slogans that mock the fundamentalist pantheists! This, ladies and gentlemen, is your challenge.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 01:40 PM

RE: Many worlds, parallel universes and pantheism
Uh, I don't know, but you just reminded me that I need to set my DVR to record The Fringe. Wink

I honestly don't see a parallel universe thing happening, as it seems to me more like an application of quantum physics to our world that abides by a different set of laws. Even so, I love these kinds of thought experiments and I love to see people who are not limited in their thinking.
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't think that the many worlds, panverse theory actually contradicts pantheism. As far as I can tell, a lot of deists and pantheists and scientific pantheists and even panentheists embrace the theory.

There's a YouTuber named 10thdim who makes videos explaining physics, and the 10 dimensional model, and he seems to actually be very "spiritual" and he sometimes even uses the G-word.

Now as for me, I consider this kind of thing to be wordplay that twists the meaning of God to where it isn't even first-mover. It's just the state of conditions that spawned existence. I don't see how that's god? It doesn't judge. It doesn't require worship. It isn't thinking or feeling. Shit, if that's what god is then put me in the believer column. Something exists - even if it's just a math equation - that is responsible for our perceived existence. I believe that. Hell, who doesn't?

Here's the thing though. People who call themselves pantheist, deist - whatever - because they "believe" in some unknown uncaused-cause don't really believe in anything specific. They recognize that there are competing theories, and they just pick a favorite knowing it's not necessarily more likely than any other. Well, I wouldn't call myself a Hindu just because I like curry. So why would I call myself a pantheist just because I know the universe exists somehow but I don't believe in a thinking, personal deity? I'm an atheist because I don't have any idea which of the competing theorems is correct; and whichever one it is, I doubt that it requires my worshipfulness.
28-01-2011, 02:23 PM
(28-01-2011 01:50 PM)gamutman Wrote:  I'm an atheist because I don't have any idea which of the competing theorems is correct; and whichever one it is, I doubt that it requires my worshipfulness.
Is that "being agnostic atheist"?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Actually, I should have said "which - if any - is correct." But no, I don't think there's anything agnostic in that. Whatever "caused" existence (for lack of a better word) I have no reason to think it has godlike qualities. But I also wouldn't say that I "believe" it's not godlike. Is that agnosticism?
28-01-2011, 02:53 PM
(28-01-2011 02:39 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Is that agnosticism?
I asked you first. Big Grin
In other words... I don't know...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-01-2011, 03:31 PM

I find agnostics and atheists usually follow the same train of thought. What do you want to call yourself? I don't think most atheists claim to know that there isn't a creator, or team of designers, or whatever, but we know the answer isn't found in those books written by man that people follow blindly. I think we're all just humble enough to say that we don't know for sure, but we're willing to look at all evidence objectively and equally and discount flawed logic.
28-01-2011, 04:03 PM
(28-01-2011 03:31 PM)Dbutz Wrote:  I find agnostics and atheists usually follow the same train of thought. What do you want to call yourself? I don't think most atheists claim to know that there isn't a creator, or team of designers, or whatever, but we know the answer isn't found in those books written by man that people follow blindly. I think we're all just humble enough to say that we don't know for sure, but we're willing to look at all evidence objectively and equally and discount flawed logic.

Personally, I think most agnostics are actually atheists. They don't know but they also don't believe, so that makes them atheists.
28-01-2011, 04:46 PM

(28-01-2011 04:03 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Personally, I think most agnostics are actually atheists. They don't know but they also don't believe, so that makes them atheists.

I agree. Of course, there are also some interesting combinations of people that call themselves agnostic. My mom for example is one of the most confused people I know about the subject. She's had some rough times in her life (I know, haven't we all) where she feels it was Jesus that got her through it. That simulation that she's created for herself has been a crutch and she holds on to it dearly. However, she doesn't go to church and has not done so for a very long time, and will often share my feelings towards "organized religion." She used to have a bumper sticker that read "If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to a garage make you a car?"

She says she's spiritual, that he has a personal relationship with Jesus, listens to Dali Lama CDs, fairly open minded about universal thought experiments, doesn't take most of the bible seriously, and responds often times with a certain free-loving hippy philosophical, almost Confucius like, tone. Sometimes she reminds me of Deepak Chopra. It's an interesting mix, but she calls herself an agnostic. It's a very unique philosophical opinion, but she is a very unique woman. To her, it's like all religions are interpretations of the same things, an energy and almost universal entity. She's like a Unitarian Universalist / Pantheist.
28-01-2011, 06:39 PM
So what if it goes the way, lets say, halflife. Interdimensional invaders come to enslave the human race for use as labourers. Would these factions of pantheists/deists fall to their knees in worship of these creatures(if thats the right term)? would they begin a crusade to exterminate all rebellions so that only those who blindly worship the invaders remain?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"