Mapping the brain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Mapping the brain
Opinions on this new project of mapping the brain. Do you all think this will eventually cure mental health or do you think it will lead to mind control or both? Though some already think some of today's drugs are mind controlling. Some of the drugs are good, some are bad.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-benefits-...ng-1.13386

I'm being optimistic and hoping this will cure many of the worst brain illnesses but it will be a long way off if it happens.

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
RE: Mapping the brain
Eventually we will be able to cure mental illness and that will do a lot of good.

But - then comes the time when people can get "brain lifts" like face lifts. That will ensure the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor, because the poor won't be able to afford it and the rich will out-think them by miles.

It can also threaten individuality - a lot of what makes us who we are is the way our individual brains work - we would be able to tone down anger, increase joy, and so on and so on.

Eventually we may be able to implant "knowledge banks".

I don't know, I am all for helping mental illness, that's a horrible affliction. But as for the rest of it - am curious to see how it all works, but I am not so sure I like the "big brother" dangers inherent in it all.

It does threaten individuality and autonomy... could turn us truly into sheeples.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply