Marijuana is good for you bro!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2011, 10:51 AM
RE: Marijuana is good for you bro!
Marijuana and addiction: Marijuana is addictive. That much is true. BUT, the addiction is only been proven as psycological. There is no proof that the cannabinoids that are credited with the psycoactive effects of MJ cause a "true" addiction. (that is, the body craves the substance, and has difficulty functioning at it's baseline in the absence of the drug)

Marijuana and stress, anxiety, depression, and schizoprenia: Lets hit on the schizophrenia first. This one is a tough one, since it's used by both sides to argue MJs benefits vs detriments. The correlation between MJ and schizophrenia is only that MJ can bring out an already existing condition. That said, those people that say, "see, it doesn't cause schizophrenia" are only half right. That's because many people who have the disease go their entire lives without ever having a symptom manifest. MJ could cause those symptoms to manifest, so in that way, MJ could be VERY bad for those individuals.

As for the other three, when managed properly, and when the correct strains are used, MJ can help with stress, anxiety, and depression. When an indica or indica heavy cross are used, often even people with severe social anxiety (including avoidant personality disorder) experience much relief from their symptoms. Of course this isn't for everyone (neither is asprin) but for many, MJ has given them their lives back. In fact, there are now some doctors in the Psychiatric field who have started prescribing MMJ for depression and anxiety.

Making things fun and thought provoking: Well of course it does! But that doesn't mean those thoughts are very intelligent. Hitting the bong before you do your homework is the worst thing you could do. And ths isn't Papa Stark talking, it's pure logic. MJ DOES affect short term memory. Whether that effect is permanent, or even long term, still remains to be seen, but when you are high, your short term memory does not function well. So you take a hoot, then do the homework, but you don't remember it, which defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place.

Just suck it up, do the shitty homework, then reward your hard work with a puff. Just leave the puff for recreation, not when you need to do something important.

The great ideas, on the other hand, is very valid. I'm not going to list them here, but a great many artists (writers, musicians, painters, et al) have credited MJ for their success. One "scientific" explination is that when certain receptors in the brain are either blocked or opend by cannabinoids, the creative process is made uninhibited, because the thought process becomes less complex and more focussed. So all those, "my uncle locked me in a closet when I was 6" thoughts that inhibit the creative process are brushed aside, and the brain is free to create.

Lastly, the brain cells thing: Pure, unadulterated bullshit. It's something that's passed around from time to time to counter the whole "smoking kills brain cells" rhetoric. They are both false.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
28-10-2011, 01:08 PM
(28-10-2011 10:51 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The great ideas, on the other hand, is very valid.

This article seems apropos here. Did Shakespeare Puff on "Noted Weed"?

(28-10-2011 10:51 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  One "scientific" explination is that when certain receptors in the brain are either blocked or opend by cannabinoids, the creative process is made uninhibited, because the thought process becomes less complex and more focussed.

The fact that we have cannabinoid receptors at all is in itself rather interesting. And they ain't limited to just us. We've found them throughout the animal kingdom.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Depends on the person. I tend to get stupid for days, and eat everything in sight - but that's Arizona and its Mexican dirtweed... Big Grin

Marijuana is just fucking good. How's that? Objective moral standard of good in the world; rather than some uptight old fuck standing on a puffy cloud sending you to hell every five minutes, you go to the puffy cloud. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-10-2011, 08:00 PM
(29-10-2011 07:57 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Depends on the person. I tend to get stupid for days, and eat everything in sight - but that's Arizona and its Mexican dirtweed... Big Grin

Marijuana is just fucking good. How's that? Objective moral standard of good in the world; rather than some uptight old fuck standing on a puffy cloud sending you to hell every five minutes, you go to the puffy cloud. Big Grin

Damn you all setting me off. I'm drunk as hell right now and you making me want pot which I have none of Sad.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
29-10-2011, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 08:11 PM by houseofcantor.)
(28-10-2011 10:51 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Marijuana and addiction: Marijuana is addictive. That much is true. BUT, the addiction is only been proven as psycological. There is no proof that the cannabinoids that are credited with the psycoactive effects of MJ cause a "true" addiction. (that is, the body craves the substance, and has difficulty functioning at it's baseline in the absence of the drug)

From my experience, will kills addiction. I'll even go as far to assume that if the physiological addiction is sufficiently advanced, will could kill the self in the process.

And don't be thinking I have no respect for science; I love that stuff. I just happened to stumble upon an ancient truth. As I follow my own philosophical law of the fractal, I fully expect science is gonna discover some really profound shit about the mind and the will in the near future. Wink
(29-10-2011 08:00 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(29-10-2011 07:57 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Depends on the person. I tend to get stupid for days, and eat everything in sight - but that's Arizona and its Mexican dirtweed... Big Grin

Damn you all setting me off. I'm drunk as hell right now and you making me want pot which I have none of Sad.
Alcohol... that's the whole problem. Big Grin

(I drink. Used to love it - now it is very rare for me to even do it. But yeah, alcohol being all fine and dandy where pot is not is clear evidence that the ethical standard in these areas is not moral. Wink)

29-10-2011, 08:23 PM
(29-10-2011 08:07 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Alcohol... that's the whole problem. Big Grin

Alcohol, it's the solution pussies. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2011, 08:25 PM
(29-10-2011 08:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Alcohol, it's the solution pussies. Wink

I have no idea what's going on but I can vouch for the fact that;

Alcohol is the solution to EVERYTHING!!!

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
29-10-2011, 08:34 PM
(29-10-2011 08:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(29-10-2011 08:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Alcohol, it's the solution pussies. Wink

I have no idea what's going on but I can vouch for the fact that;

Alcohol is the solution to EVERYTHING!!!

You ever have them DTs? Undecided

That shit ain't nothing nice - but it is kinda funny looking back on it. Big Grin

29-10-2011, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 08:53 PM by Hughsie.)
(29-10-2011 08:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You ever have them DTs? Undecided

That shit ain't nothing nice - but it is kinda funny looking back on it. Big Grin

Seriously, no point asking me anything. I'm way too drunk to understand Big Grin!
Since my last post I have been violently ill and decided that alcohol isn't the answer to everything!

Best
Worst
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
29-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Thank you stark for the actual science based comment. Everything before was opinion being passed as fact. Irritating. If you want to prove a point do it the right way or don't bother at all. It will make me think I'm on a Christian forum.
I used to sell the stuff kids and smoke more of it than most people will ever see. Anyone who says it doesn't hamper learning and memory retention ha never smoked actual weed. It sure does but I personally don't believe the damage is permanent. I hope not anyways. I can tell you from personal experience that while smoking excessively I couldn't read for shit. My focus would wander and my memory was non existent.
Moderation is key as it is with anything. Also knowing you priorities is extremely important. If you want Or need to learn it is important to be responsible enough to say no to drugs kids. You may regret not doing so later in life. A time you could use to safely consume substances with less repercussions.
Also on the subject of alcohol I detest it. I don't like the flavor of any alcohol and I dislike the effects. If anything should be made illegal that's the one forget about pot it considerably less harmful than alcohol. Though I believe people should be allowed to drown themselves in whatever they want so long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison