Marijuana is good for you bro!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2011, 03:04 AM
RE: Marijuana is good for you bro!
Great, I'm out for a week and this is the thread you start? Damn! Anybody want links?

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ible-plant

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...and-cancer

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-Drugs

These are some old threads, if you want to read more info, and there was also one I can't find with a lot of links to all sorts of scientific studies that confirm and explain how marijuana cures some illnesses and how it help our body, like the facts that it actually regenerates brain cells.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2011, 05:32 AM
IMO weed is definitely not for everybody. It has many excellent medicinal qualities including an awesome nausea remedy for chemo patients and it all but stops turrets syndrome but should not be used by people with mental health problems. There are a lot of people whom are so inflicted.
I don't know whether I would say it was GOOD for you (although it has been good for me personally in many ways). It may well help with anxiety therefore help you to feel better. It is better for you to 'vaporise' it rather than smoke it in a joint or a bong as it burns at a lower temperature and as such is less carcinogenic.
02-11-2011, 05:44 AM
Weed is not carcinogenic, it is in fact anti-cancerous. The only thing cancerous about it is the tobacco used to mix it up in a joint and that little bit of paper you smoke with it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
02-11-2011, 05:47 AM
So I am seeing a few claims here that MJ should not be used by people with mental illness such as depression. I'd very much like to see the facts you are basing these opinions on. The reason is that there are more and more psychiatrists who disagree with you, and have been prescribing MMJ. (Particularily for bi-polar and anxiety)

It's important to recognize that different marijuana has different effects. That's why people who use it as a medication seek out professional growers who can tailor a strain for their specific needs. I often hear of people claiming that MJ is bad for depression because they have depression and have had a negative impact on their illness directly related to pot. In every instance though, they have no idea what strain they smoked, let alone the source of the pot to begin with. I respect that if someone has firsthand experience that it will greatly influence their position, but with more knowledge, and some close monitoring and guidance, those positions may change.

Rule #1 in using medicinal marijuana is making sure it is obtained from a professional grower who is aware of your illness and knows the best strains to treat it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Harvard Medical school reference.

Quote:Marijuana use has also been linked to schizophrenia. In a study of 50,000 Swedish military draftees, the use of marijuana during adolescence was associated with a 30% increase in risk of developing schizophrenia. The study also showed a higher risk of schizophrenia with more frequent marijuana use. The researchers of this study found these results were independent of personality traits and the use of other drugs.

From these studies, it is clear that marijuana use is related to subsequent depression and schizophrenia. It is still not clear, however, whether marijuana triggers the onset of illness in individuals predisposed to such conditions or whether it actually causes the illnesses. Some researchers believe that psychosocial factors that result from marijuana use—such as educational failure and unemployment—may contribute to depression. Other researchers think that marijuana may have a lasting chemical effect on the central nervous system and its functions involving memory, emotion, cognition, and movement.

In addition to its widespread availability, marijuana’s recent popularity may be largely based on the perception that it is safer than cigarettes and alcohol, according to an editorial in the British Medical Journal. But these studies show marijuana is not the harmless drug many believe it is, but that it can have a negative impact on your mental health.

Sources: British Medical Journal, November 2002 and American Journal of Psychiatry December 2001

MedicalMarijuana pro's and con's topic - Depression/Bi polar

Quote:Karen Cameron, RNC, MSN, Correspondent for WebMD, stated in a June 14, 2004 WebMD article "Are Depression and Marijuana Linked?":

It is pretty well known that the psychoactive chemicals in marijuana interfere with the balancing process that antidepressants work toward.

As you may already know, depression is a biochemical illness -- an imbalance in chemicals in the brain. Those antidepressants help things become better balanced, but they can't do the job nearly as well if one is smoking marijuana.

Marijuana contributes to depression and destroys natural sleep. There really is no good reason to continue smoking it.

Could find that info off the first google page >.< Apart from what my psychiatrist has told me personally.
I consider Harvard medical school a valid source.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
So your sources from 2001/02 are more reliable than the more recent studies that have shown the link to schizophrenia to be wrong? Sorry, but I just can't go by ten year old research when more recent research is available.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...-1,00.html
This article (also found on the first google page, though I'm not sure how that's realevant) does a good job of illustrating the controversy surrounding cannabis and it's relationship to schizophrenia. It's not nearly so cut and dry when it's looked at without bias (I am somewhat biased so I felt citing this "quick search" would be useful)

I am always amused when "health professionals" talk as though they can "balance" the thousands of chemicals in the brain with a few medications. The "chemical imbalance" term is akin to blaming cholesterol for heart disease. When the government decides that it's true, there's no refuting it. We've been trained that we must cure these imbalances, while at the same time we are told that "treating the symptoms" is bad. I call bullshit, along side a growing number of doctors and scientisits who are realizing that filling up the brain with antidepression meds to "balance" chemicals is not only futile, but unnessecary. Finding a proper diet, and a healthy lifestyle is key. And yes, I am very familiar with non-lifestyle related depression (ie. genetic). But do you really think that those meds are going to fix something in your DNA? Nope, so your only two options are to live with the depression, or treat it symptomatically. Remember that research is not always easy to find, nor is it always fair. Research requires funding, and that funding comes from government grants (for the most part), and there are few governments (particularly the US) that are willing to fund research that doesn't seek to prove the evils of weed. It reeks of religion seeking evidence to prove creation instead of observing evidence to make a conclusion.

One thing must be made VERY clear here. I do NOT support the use on MJ for youth. The only convincing evidence (based on RECENT research) of a link to MJ and schizophrenea is that it may induce early onset for those who will already develop schizophrenia due to altering the undeveloped brain of young people.

It is also important to realize that googling such a topic will give results based on popularity of the site in descending order. So basically, if the research makes headlines (which we all know has to be dramatic, and usually negative for the media to grasp hold of it) it will be on the top of the list. Dig a little deeper and you may be suprised at what you find. I have.

At the end of the day, my advice is always to follow your doctors recommendation. Sometimes though, people are seeing doctors that either refuse to change their thinking as new research develops, or who got a "D" average in med school.

02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Just to add.....I think it bears repeating that using the RIGHT strain of MJ is imperative when treating it as a medicine.

The CBD content is the important factor when considering mental illness, and a professional grower is the person who is going to know what strains to use and how to maximize CBD content in the growing process. Also as an interesting side note, CBD doesn't appear to actually affect the brain. Instead it affects how THC is used in the brain (ie. how much THC is processed, which receptors in the brain take up the cannabinoids etc) therefore a higher RATIO of CBD is what is realevant, not the quantity.

It is precisely this type of thing that is over looked all too often in much of the available research, especially older research.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Hey Admin, you do know we have "Quick Edit" button here...

Smile

And can someone remember or put here a link to the topic where I have put at least 10-15 links to medicinal research with marijuana? I was searching and can not find it, but I know I have put it here couple of months ago.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
03-11-2011, 02:06 AM
You seemed to link a pile-up here:

The Most incredible Plant.

Now is some would pin it... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Thanx, but this is not the one I meant. Somebody has dared me to find some medical data about marijuana, they were lazy to use the Google themselves, so I spent some time gathering all sorts of links, there was tons of them... I will search it a bit more.

-Hunter S. Thompson