Marilyn Monroe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Marilyn Monroe
Ok, just so you know, this is probably going to be a dumb thread.

I don't get Marilyn Monroe's appeal. I mean I understand her physical appeal and she was kinda pretty but I've never understood why she is still the topic of so many books and videos. There are hundreds of book about her and even more videos.

What I don't understand is why people seem to look to her as some sort of....I don't know.....a folk hero? It's as if people eternally feel sorry for her and can't get past it. The "poor Marilyn" thing has passed from one generation to the next. I think the French even love her. When will this end. The woman's been dead for almost 60 years. She's dead Jim, she's dead.

When I look to someone for inspiration I always look for people who have overcome their circumstances and found happiness and strength, not someone like Marilyn Monroe.

I mentioned this to someone who was a Monroe fan and they looked at me like I'd just shot their beloved dog.

What am I missing here?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: Marilyn Monroe
Don't honestly know much of anything about her, so I hit up Google and this came up in Yahoo answers lol. It's a starting point I guess.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...017AAsnN2e

Quote:1.She was only the third woman to start her own production company and the very first to start an independent film production company.. (Marilyn Monroe Productions, in 1956)
2. She led to the overhaul of the studio system- studios used to tell actors what movie they'd be in, they had no choice in the matter. She refused to do anymore 'dumb blonde' roles and walked out on her contract, which led to changes in the entire system
3. She was the first woman to get script and director approval in her films.
4. She was in the #1 rated comedy of all time, Some Like It Hot.
5. She was in the most iconic film scene of all time in The Seven Year Itch
6. She won France's Crystal Star (equivalent of the Oscar) and Italy's David di Donatello award for The Prince and the Showgirl. She also won Golden Globes, one for Best Actress in a Comedy at the 1960 ceremony and Female World Film Favorite at the 1962 ceremony.
7. She was well read and highly intelligent. Her favorite authors included Dostoevsky, Proust,Freud, and Whitman. She studied with two of the most acclaimed acting teachers of all time, Michael Chekhov and Lee Strasberg of the famed Actor's Studio.
8. She was an early advocate of civil rights. When a whites-only club refused to book African-American singer Ella Fitzgerald, one of MM's favorite singers, she personally called the club and told them if they booked Ella she would sit front row every night. She also headed the Committee For A Sane Nuclear Policy.
9. She readily gave her time and money to numerous charities including the USO, The Milk Fund, the Muscular Dystrophy Association, the Arthritis Foundation, The March of Dimes, and many anonymous donations to orphanages.
10. She is an unparalleled pop culture icon. Hardly anyone reaches her stratosphere of stardom, Elvis Presley being the only one that is on the same level of enduring stardom.
11. She revolutionized the way sex was viewed- in the uptight 1950's sex was viewed as something dirty and shameful, Marilyn made it fun and funny, she could be sexy while still being proper enough to bring home to mother and it altered society in such a way to make the sexual revolution of the 1960's possible.
12. She was the very first celebrity to ever talk about sexual abuse and bring it into the open.
13. Her combination of beauty, intelligence, sexiness, and vulnerability continues to inspire legions of fans to this day, nearly 50 years after she died.
14. No other actress has ever been able been able to be so incredibly sexy while also retaining an innocence and vulnerability. This is why she continues to appeal to men while not being threatening to women.In fact, men find her attractive and often feel protective of her, women have empathy for her, relate to her, and also feel protective of her. Girls identify so well with her because she was very open about her nervousness and insecurities, and they feel that if the most glamorous woman in the world can be self conscious then it's okay that they are too.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
29-11-2016, 06:00 PM
I think she was a beautiful, talented woman who got swallowed up by Hollywood. I'm more of a Bacall fan, but I like Marilyn too Wink

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-11-2016, 06:10 PM
It was timing. She was wrapped up in the JFK mystique on top of everything else. This made for endless speculation, dare I say, 'conspiracy theories' ? Tongue
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
29-11-2016, 06:20 PM
I think she was really gorgeous but she was also a talented actress and when she placed sixth in AFI's best actors/actresses list I was a little shocked, I mean number 6? Of all time? But even with that said she was good at her job.

I think also a beautiful woman is thought to be perfect and a dream girl but she was a mystery, even to people who knew here. She suffered from mental illness and drug dependencies and got married 3 times. She apparently wanted children but couldn't get pregnant so all in all she was a big train wreck but her glamour and her ability made her very likable and charming, she's a tragic icon now.

Now as far as tragic heroes are concerned I've always been fascinated by James Dean, he was true raw talent who was very passionate and destined for great things but his life was cut short, he's often seen in art pieces with Marilyn but I think he is more interesting than she is.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
29-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Tragedies and mystery are very appealing to the general public. Add to that beauty, brains and celebrity and you have someone people can't forget.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
29-11-2016, 06:41 PM
I think Hedy Lamarr was a pretty interesting woman.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
29-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I agree with you. I'm mostly mystified by her mystique. She was certainly talented and beautiful, but not more so than many other actresses of the time. When I watch her on screen, it feels to me like she's got two or three tricks that she works over and over again. However...

One thing I think people may relate to with Marilyn is her seriousness of intent. She did work hard at acting and was always trying to move beyond where her bosses wanted her to stay. She tried to grow in her craft, to find different roles than the cheesecake ones her studio system assigned, to become a serious person. I don't think she was particularly successful, but imagine Kim Kardashian joining the Actors Studio...Kim's just happy to show off her butt.

A close friend of mine in college was a beautiful woman with a high and husky voice (she had a very Marilyn vibe), and it was damaging for her. She was extremely smart, but people tended to focus on her externals and dismiss her ideas...she was also the first friend of mine to experience a rape. Men wanted to have her, not to hear her, and I always wonder if Marilyn was affected by that need to be compliant and pleasing to the male gaze--she tried to use that to her advantage, but eventually it backfired.
29-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I have several gay friends that worship her. They have Monroe wallpaper on their desktop and phones and can't get enough of her. I don't get it. She couldn't keep herself together, she was late for film work and had everyone waiting for hours on the set. People like that drive me nuts. I'm always early for appointments. Her acting was very affected and unappealing to me.

When I've criticized her work people pile on me like I've just told them Jesus fucked dogs or something. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-11-2016, 07:25 PM
(29-11-2016 06:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think she was a beautiful, talented woman who got swallowed up by Hollywood. I'm more of a Bacall fan, but I like Marilyn too Wink

Every man in that chorus is leering at her ass. Except for the two facing her who are checking out her boobs. So I'm going with her ass and boobs.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post