Mark Fulton vs Q..."Was Paul a Charlatan"
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: Mark Fulton vs Q..."Was Paul a Charlatan"
(23-11-2015 11:22 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  And this is why we can't find any common ground to agree upon as well as REAL issues worth debating over. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 13: the most famous writing in human history on love, humility and self-sacrifice, and you are calling him a narcissist, hypocrite, bitter... what is your refutation of this:

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

A few nice phrases from Paul can't make up for his nastiness, narcissism and the fact he needed to control everyone. You need to read more of him.

PS well done bringing up a point that actually has something to do with Paul and whatever we were talking about. If you could do this more often we may be able to have a real discussion.

Do you see any perceptible difference between calling 1 Corinthians 13, known universally as "the love chapter" of the Bible, "a few nice phrases" when as I've mentioned, it has been regarding for millennia as the supreme example of love, charity and humility ever penned?

You will continue calling Paul a charlatan since he claims a relationship with Jesus Christ after Jesus's crucifixion and death--and that's your right to free speech, but calling him vicious and vile is a fairly vicious and vile thing to do.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2015, 11:20 AM
(24-11-2015 01:29 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 10:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Your short term memory is lacking. Instead of goal post shifting with yet another anti-divine bias, recall that I said Jesus wrote and you said Jesus didn't write and I said you clearly don't know Thing 1 about evangelical beliefs!

There's nothing wrong with my memory. I understand your evangelical beliefs, and I refute them as nonsense. You seem to think that that just by stating them you make them true. Sorry, but in the real world that doesn't happen.

No, your memory is poor. I was citing you originally not for an anti-divine bias but for accusing me of making a debate mistake/fact mistake in saying Jesus wrote scripture when here, as you do above, you claim to already know that such is my belief. Be consistent.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
24-11-2015, 11:21 AM
(23-11-2015 11:33 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  My language in a debate in an academic setting would not include belittling my opponent and cursing him. I guess that's why you hadn't followed up on my request to debate in person--because your manners date to the 1550's. Drinking Beverage

"I guess that's why you hadn't followed up on my request to debate in person--because your manners date to the 1550's."

We could debate on skype, record it, and post it on the forum. How do you feel about that?

No, don't waste my time. I want to debate you in an academic setting at a secular university, where both faculty can challenge your ill-conceived understandings of classic scholarship and Bible history and where students will note by boos and hisses when you lose control and make ad homs and vicious denunciations of my intellect.

24-11-2015, 02:29 PM
(24-11-2015 11:18 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:22 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  A few nice phrases from Paul can't make up for his nastiness, narcissism and the fact he needed to control everyone. You need to read more of him.

PS well done bringing up a point that actually has something to do with Paul and whatever we were talking about. If you could do this more often we may be able to have a real discussion.

Do you see any perceptible difference between calling 1 Corinthians 13, known universally as "the love chapter" of the Bible, "a few nice phrases" when as I've mentioned, it has been regarding for millennia as the supreme example of love, charity and humility ever penned?

You will continue calling Paul a charlatan since he claims a relationship with Jesus Christ after Jesus's crucifixion and death--and that's your right to free speech, but calling him vicious and vile is a fairly vicious and vile thing to do.

Do you think it impossible for a charlatan to write a few nice paragraphs?
24-11-2015, 02:31 PM
(23-11-2015 11:22 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  A few nice phrases from Paul can't make up for his nastiness, narcissism and the fact he needed to control everyone. You need to read more of him.

I never called Paul vile or vicious.
24-11-2015, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2015 01:59 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(24-11-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:33 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:   "I guess that's why you hadn't followed up on my request to debate in person--because your manners date to the 1550's."

We could debate on skype, record it, and post it on the forum. How do you feel about that?

No, don't waste my time. I want to debate you in an academic setting at a secular university, where both faculty can challenge your ill-conceived understandings of classic scholarship and Bible history and where students will note by boos and hisses when you lose control and make ad homs and vicious denunciations of my intellect.

"...where both faculty can challenge your ill-conceived understandings of classic scholarship and Bible history..."

I have been waiting for you to do this, but you don't seem up to the task

"where students will note by boos and hisses when you lose control and make ad homs and vicious denunciations of my intellect."

You are dreaming. These "vicious denunciations of my intellect" you imagine I make are nothing more than me asking you to present some facts. I haven't "lost control" of anything...I just ask you to try to make things a little more interesting for the readers by sticking to the topic.
24-11-2015, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2015 02:06 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(24-11-2015 11:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 01:29 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with my memory. I understand your evangelical beliefs, and I refute them as nonsense. You seem to think that that just by stating them you make them true. Sorry, but in the real world that doesn't happen.

No, your memory is poor. I was citing you originally not for an anti-divine bias but for accusing me of making a debate mistake/fact mistake in saying Jesus wrote scripture when here, as you do above, you claim to already know that such is my belief. Be consistent.

Q, you wrote

"Yes, I'm an expert on the writings of Paul and Jesus."

and

"Jesus is the Word of God -- He inspired/wrote the entire Bible, both testaments."

Please explain which parts of the bible you think Jesus wrote. Also, please explain, preferably in coherent English, what you mean by

"you claim to already know that such is my belief."
24-11-2015, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 03:16 PM by Mark Fulton.)
It appears as though you haven't read the link I gave you. I'll try again.

Here is an academic dissertation on Paul's character.

http://false-apostle-paul-archive.blogsp...fa_08.html

You claim to be an expert and an academic, and you are here to debate Paul, so I invite you to read it and pass comment. It really is very interesting.
24-11-2015, 03:06 PM

No.
24-11-2015, 09:27 PM
(24-11-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:33 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:   "I guess that's why you hadn't followed up on my request to debate in person--because your manners date to the 1550's."

That's a rather pathetic fantasy.

People respect anyone who can present a logical, coherent argument. You can't. I can.

You don't even bother to answer my questions. I answer yours.

Audiences notice things like that.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
Thread Closed