Mark Fulton vs Q..."Was Paul a Charlatan"
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
RE: Mark Fulton vs Q..."Was Paul a Charlatan"
Quote:We all know Paul claimed he was beaten...but not by Romans.

[Image: roman-public-health-3-728.jpg?cb=1241515391]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
03-02-2016, 09:40 AM
(02-02-2016 02:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 11:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hi Mark,

I posted details on Paul's sufferings because you claimed they were alleged when I wrote--paraphrasing--"Why would Paul be a charlatan/Roman conspirator and then be beaten and suffer so much at the hands of the Romans?"

That is, I'm attacking your central thesis.

Q, please go back and read posts 261, 251, 235 and 243. (They are the numbers at the top right hand corner of each post.)

I suspect you may be severely embarrassed about what you just wrote, because, once again, for the umpteenth time in this "debate," you have failed to follow the trail of the conversation and just repeated yourself.

We all know Paul claimed he was beaten...but not by Romans. I have asked you multiple times to back up your claim Paul was beaten by Romans and you can't, because you haven't. Hence my "central thesis" has not been "attacked," but has, in fact, been made more plausible.

If you do have a genuine problem with your memory, you should be getting someone to help you before you post.

Dr. Fulton,

I do have a limited memory store for foolishness.

However, although we can inductively show Paul was beaten by Romans, I don't wish to get into a further whizzing contest with you, so I'll ask you "How come Paul who was a Roman conspirator spent so much time in Roman prisons?!"

These Roman prisons, as you know, Dr. Fulton, weren't charity wards or white collar "prisons" with daily tennis lessons but dank caves and hollows where men were chained to the wall and sat in their own feces. We could go on and show how Paul was poor, worked like a dog, suffered and etc. but it seems highly implausible that as a Roman conspirator he would constantly be in Roman prisons and then to trial in Rome itself!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2016, 03:59 PM
(03-02-2016 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 02:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Q, please go back and read posts 261, 251, 235 and 243. (They are the numbers at the top right hand corner of each post.)

I suspect you may be severely embarrassed about what you just wrote, because, once again, for the umpteenth time in this "debate," you have failed to follow the trail of the conversation and just repeated yourself.

We all know Paul claimed he was beaten...but not by Romans. I have asked you multiple times to back up your claim Paul was beaten by Romans and you can't, because you haven't. Hence my "central thesis" has not been "attacked," but has, in fact, been made more plausible.

If you do have a genuine problem with your memory, you should be getting someone to help you before you post.

Dr. Fulton,

However, although we can inductively show Paul was beaten by Romans, I don't wish to get into a further whizzing contest with you, so I'll ask you "How come Paul who was a Roman conspirator spent so much time in Roman prisons?!"

These Roman prisons, as you know, Dr. Fulton, weren't charity wards or white collar "prisons" with daily tennis lessons but dank caves and hollows where men were chained to the wall and sat in their own feces. We could go on and show how Paul was poor, worked like a dog, suffered and etc. but it seems highly implausible that as a Roman conspirator he would constantly be in Roman prisons and then to trial in Rome itself!

You remind me of a demented patient in a nursing home who keeps asking

"when am I going home?"

No matter how often the staff answer him, he keeps asking it.

I know what your next post will say...

"Why was Paul beaten by the Romans?"
04-02-2016, 01:10 PM
(03-02-2016 03:59 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Dr. Fulton,

"when am I going home?"

I suppose I'd be like that if I bothered to repeat myself:

"How come Paul who was a Roman conspirator spent so much time in Roman prisons?!"

...Which you've never addressed on this debate.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-02-2016, 03:19 PM
(03-02-2016 03:59 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Dr. Fulton,

"when am I going home?"

And if you're referring to my consistent calling you to the mat for failing to answer basic questions regarding your debate resolution, you remind me of Hilary Clinton getting trounced by Bernie Sanders in a town hall, and I remind me of a persistent, patient person. Yes

04-02-2016, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 02:46 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(04-02-2016 01:10 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 03:59 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You remind me of a demented patient in a nursing home who keeps asking

"when am I going home?"

I suppose I'd be like that if I bothered to repeat myself:

"How come Paul who was a Roman conspirator spent so much time in Roman prisons?!"

What, then, is this, which I wrote in post 123...

"The whole prison thing has been exaggerated. He had pen and paper wherever he was. He was a Roman citizen. He did nothing that the Roman government could have considered unlawful, other than disturbing the peace. They kept him for two years in a palace at Caesaria... not a prison... for his own protection. He wrote letters from Rome sending greetings from the Imperial Palace... you don't do that if you're a prisoner."

Since then you have asked the same question about 6 times, despite me telling you I had already replied.

About now you will be pondering over your next master stroke...probably hitting me with a question why Paul was repeatedly beaten by Romans.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
04-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Just in case there are any readers here questioning why Paul may have been kept for short periods of time imprisoned if he was, in fact, working for that Roman government, consider the following....

Paul regularly managed to disturb the peace wherever he went. It was the job of Roman officials and soldiers to keep peace. Paul needed protection from angry Jews. I think he was only one of many Government employees spreading propaganda. Obviously not every Roman official or soldier throughout the Empire would've known about Paul's role. The channels of communication in those days were not instantaneous. If you were in Jerusalem or Caesaria, for example, you couldn't just ring up Rome to find out about Paul's credentials. All they would've known was that this Paul character was disturbing the peace, and that he was a Roman citizen whose life was in danger. He may have been put in a prison... short term... while it was worked out who he was and what he was about.... and for his own protection.

Here endeth the lesson.
04-02-2016, 09:55 PM
(04-02-2016 03:19 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 03:59 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You remind me of a demented patient in a nursing home who keeps asking

"when am I going home?"

And if you're referring to my consistent calling you to the mat for failing to answer basic questions regarding your debate resolution, you remind me of Hilary Clinton getting trounced by Bernie Sanders in a town hall, and I remind me of a persistent, patient person. Yes

You live in your own fantasy world in more ways than one.
05-02-2016, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 03:51 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(03-02-2016 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 02:58 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Q, please go back and read posts 261, 251, 235 and 243. (They are the numbers at the top right hand corner of each post.)

Dr. Fulton,

"These Roman prisons, as you know, Dr. Fulton, weren't charity wards or white collar "prisons" with daily tennis lessons..."

Mmmmmm.

I'm not so sure. I have it on good authority that Saint Paul tried to lecture his coach about Christ...Roger wasn't impressed...

[attachment=3205]
05-02-2016, 02:23 PM
(04-02-2016 09:33 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 01:10 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I suppose I'd be like that if I bothered to repeat myself:

What, then, is this, which I wrote in post 123...

"The whole prison thing has been exaggerated. He had pen and paper wherever he was. He was a Roman citizen. He did nothing that the Roman government could have considered unlawful, other than disturbing the peace. They kept him for two years in a palace at Caesaria... not a prison... for his own protection. He wrote letters from Rome sending greetings from the Imperial Palace... you don't do that if you're a prisoner."

Since then you have asked the same question about 6 times, despite me telling you I had already replied.

About now you will be pondering over your next master stroke...probably hitting me with a question why Paul was repeatedly beaten by Romans.

I cannot debate someone with such a base misunderstanding of scriptures. He didn't write, he had scribes visiting him in prison. Are you that unaware that the epistles say things like, "From Paul and Silas..." or "I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord..."?

But you may have solved the issue by telling us "Roman prisons weren't really all that bad," and "Paul wasn't really in prison often," after all, only 4 of 13 epistles were penned from prison, that's only like a third of Paul's ministry, right? And you know better than secular historians on these matters because of, um, time travel? Or just that magical atheist power of make believe?

By the way, since you are a materialist who believes only what he can sense, how can you comment with such perspicuity and insight as to how and where Paul was imprisoned two millennia ago?

Or are you simply using logic, ascendant, triumphant, immutable logic, believing, sir, that logical values are ABSOLUTES?

So it is high time for a fresh question:

Since you seem to know better than religious AND secular historians as to the length of Paul's imprisonments (and can read Paul's mind to tell us exactly where he writes truth and where he writes lies) what is your source(s) for your "proofs" in this debate?

Thread Closed