Mark's version of "Jesus"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2015, 03:30 AM
RE: Mark's version of "Jesus"
(04-08-2015 03:09 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 02:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Mark, I actually did read a little further into the chapter and didn't see any other logical fallacies that jumped out at me like that first one. Hopefully that makes you feel better. But seriously, I'm really not interested in the subject. Further, I don't like to read lengthy texts. However I do like to listen to audio books. Right now I'm listening to Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I think my next audio book will be David and Goliath by Malcom Gladwell. If you put your chapter into audio form, I'd listen too it.

You're a Christian, I assume. Is that right? If so, you probably believe this Jeebus character was someone special. Why would you not be interested in spending 10 minutes reading what someone who has spent years researching the topic has to say?

I don't get it. Don't you want to know about him? Isn't he your god? What could be more important to you?

Suppose it was revealed to me with certainty that Jesus Christ did not exist. My world view would remain for all intents and purposes....exactly the same as it was before the revelation. The thought of Jesus Christ not actually existing doesn't bother me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2015, 03:40 AM
(04-08-2015 03:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:09 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You're a Christian, I assume. Is that right? If so, you probably believe this Jeebus character was someone special. Why would you not be interested in spending 10 minutes reading what someone who has spent years researching the topic has to say?

I don't get it. Don't you want to know about him? Isn't he your god? What could be more important to you?

Suppose it was revealed to me with certainty that Jesus Christ did not exist. My world view would remain for all intents and purposes....exactly the same as it was before the revelation. The thought of Jesus Christ not actually existing doesn't bother me.

That is interesting. Yet what has it to do with my post?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2015, 03:53 AM
(04-08-2015 03:40 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose it was revealed to me with certainty that Jesus Christ did not exist. My world view would remain for all intents and purposes....exactly the same as it was before the revelation. The thought of Jesus Christ not actually existing doesn't bother me.

That is interesting. Yet what has it to do with my post?

Nothing. We got here because I started reading your post (because I thought it was about something else). A blatant fallacy immediately caught my eye. I figured I'd point it out to you so you could fix it and look for others. If you go back an re-read this thread I challenge you to find one instance where I claimed your conclusion was wrong. I really don't know if Jesus existed. However I am a betting man and I would bet that some works of Josephus have been lost for reasons other than Christians didn't like them. I think my bet would have positive expectation because the base rate of survival of text from that era is so low because of things like fires, shipwrecks, floods, sacking of cities, decomposition, washing off and then writing over old texts, etc.

And like I said, I did read a little further after you asked me and no other logical fallacies jumped out at me. Maybe that was an outlier.
04-08-2015, 04:07 AM
(04-08-2015 03:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:40 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  That is interesting. Yet what has it to do with my post?

Nothing. We got here because I started reading your post (because I thought it was about something else). A blatant fallacy immediately caught my eye. I figured I'd point it out to you so you could fix it and look for others. If you go back an re-read this thread I challenge you to find one instance where I claimed your conclusion was wrong. I really don't know if Jesus existed. However I am a betting man and I would bet that some works of Josephus have been lost for reasons other than Christians didn't like them. I think my bet would have positive expectation because the base rate of survival of text from that era is so low because of things like fires, shipwrecks, floods, sacking of cities, decomposition, washing off and then writing over old texts, etc.

And like I said, I did read a little further after you asked me and no other logical fallacies jumped out at me. Maybe that was an outlier.

OCD
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2015, 04:11 AM
(04-08-2015 04:07 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Nothing. We got here because I started reading your post (because I thought it was about something else). A blatant fallacy immediately caught my eye. I figured I'd point it out to you so you could fix it and look for others. If you go back an re-read this thread I challenge you to find one instance where I claimed your conclusion was wrong. I really don't know if Jesus existed. However I am a betting man and I would bet that some works of Josephus have been lost for reasons other than Christians didn't like them. I think my bet would have positive expectation because the base rate of survival of text from that era is so low because of things like fires, shipwrecks, floods, sacking of cities, decomposition, washing off and then writing over old texts, etc.

OCD

Maybe, but if you paid someone to proof read and edit your book you should break their balls for letting that fallacy slip in.
04-08-2015, 04:19 AM
(04-08-2015 12:40 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 10:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  We do appreciate your posts, Mark.

Besides, if baby Jesus is real, Heywood's username is going to make him cry Sad

If Jesus was a vegetarian what would he eat after his resurrection?

give up?

GRAAAAAAaaaaaains!

Jesus is a grain: "Jesus took bread and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples saying take and eat; this is my body." --Matt. 26:26. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-08-2015, 04:35 AM
(04-08-2015 04:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 04:07 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  OCD

Maybe, but if you paid someone to proof read and edit your book you should break their balls for letting that fallacy slip in.

Clearly, you should contact your editor right away, Mark lol. Big Grin
04-08-2015, 04:41 AM
(04-08-2015 03:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:09 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You're a Christian, I assume. Is that right? If so, you probably believe this Jeebus character was someone special. Why would you not be interested in spending 10 minutes reading what someone who has spent years researching the topic has to say?

This actually is interesting. And you consider yourself a Christian? If so, this point would be interesting to discuss in another thread. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-08-2015, 04:53 AM
(04-08-2015 04:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 04:11 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Maybe, but if you paid someone to proof read and edit your book you should break their balls for letting that fallacy slip in.

Clearly, you should contact your editor right away, Mark lol. Big Grin

Really he should cause an argumentative text should be free from logical fallacies if it is going to be convincing. Writers aren't perfect so they pay editors to spot this shit for them. The only way to make that one more blatant would be to highlight it in yellow...that is how obvious it was....to me anyways.
04-08-2015, 06:45 AM
(04-08-2015 04:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose it was revealed to me with certainty that Jesus Christ did not exist. My world view would remain for all intents and purposes....exactly the same as it was before the revelation. The thought of Jesus Christ not actually existing doesn't bother me.

This actually is interesting. And you consider yourself a Christian? If so, this point would be interesting to discuss in another thread. Thumbsup

Excellent idea, Jenny. If you have such a raging boner for an extremely minor "fallacy" that had no bearing on the arguement at hand, may I suggest you slither over to a few other authors and enlighten them with your incredible insight. I recommend the likes of William Lane Craig, Frank Turek, Norm Geisler, Ray Comfort, Deepak Chopra, and Ken Ham. If you had this much of a hard-on over what Mark wrote, these guys will make your head explode. Either way, you keep saying that you don't care so take your excrement elsewhere.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post