Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Marriage
Here's one for you, my boyfriend and I have decided to take things to the next level and get married - so today we have been looking through wedding vows and this has come up...

In a christian/religious ceremony the phrase 'to death do us part' (or thereabouts) comes up often - however, why would a couple who presumably believe in heaven only profess their marriage relevant to their life on earth, why would they think they wouldn't still be married in heaven? Are people still 'allowed' to be married in heaven or does the marriage cease to exist once one or both parties are dead?

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nieko Sx's post
09-08-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 02:40 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
RE: Marriage
Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. To your point on the verbiage of vows, most ceremonies that utilize a standard set of vows include participants who either don't take the words literally, or lack an understanding of what's being said.

In some instances a substitution is made, for phrases like 'for time and all eternity' or custom vows all together. In the end, it's really just words spoken near a microphone, which is why they should be from the heart and not scripted from religious conventions, but to each their own.

Excerpts from poems and song lyrics are a great substitution, as are the services offered by humanist celebrants around the world.

Edit*: To answer your marriage after death question, some religious organizations believe that death of either spouse is also the moment of marriage dissolution (widowed individuals), while in other faiths marriage can be forever (LDS).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 03:25 PM
(09-08-2015 02:32 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. To your point on the verbiage of vows, most ceremonies that utilize a standard set of vows include participants who either don't take the words literally, or lack an understanding of what's being said.

In some instances a substitution is made, for phrases like 'for time and all eternity' or custom vows all together. In the end, it's really just words spoken near a microphone, which is why they should be from the heart and not scripted from religious conventions, but to each their own.

Excerpts from poems and song lyrics are a great substitution, as are the services offered by humanist celebrants around the world.

Edit*: To answer your marriage after death question, some religious organizations believe that death of either spouse is also the moment of marriage dissolution (widowed individuals), while in other faiths marriage can be forever (LDS).

Hi Cosmic,

Thanks loads for your reply - the idea of people paying no attention to their wedding vows is pretty sad. You've convinced me that writing our own vows is the right way to go - thanks for your input and for your congratulations Big Grin

Definitely no 'death do us part' in there - maybe something about being returned and recycles into the earth and water cycles...

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
[+] 1 user Likes Nieko Sx's post
09-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Do a "modern" wedding... And think how much fun you could have with it....

"Do you take this woman as your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold till the beer runs out??" "Whatever"....

"Whatever" would be just the best, instead of "I do"....

Leave 'em laughing....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-08-2015, 03:33 PM
I actually like the idea of Promessa, an alternative to burial or cremation, in which the body is superchilled, then shaken to dust and freeze-dried. The remains are given in a biodegradable sack which can be buried and, because it's not burned to ash, the nutrients within can be buried beneath a seedling to help fertilize the new growth. I'd like to be buried under a sapling tree with a small stone memorial, so my children/grandchildren can come see my tree and remember me, and I'll know that I contributed to the ecosystem rather than hampering it with my ashes or corpse.

Don't know if I'll include that in my wedding vows, but I love the idea of it. Smile

Edit to Add: It's so far only legal in Sweden, though it appears the UK is considering it. I hope the USA joins the 21st century by the time I'm a corpse.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
09-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Personalizing ones oath to another I think makes it mean more than a script practiced and rehearsed by billions over time, based on religious beliefs.

In regards to your question about Xtian doctrine:

In Romans 7:2 Paul says,

"For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband."

So the statement of “until death do us part” or “as long as we both shall live” is in accordance with the Bible and xtian doctrine.

As far as being "married after death in heaven", that is usually for practitioners of the Mormon faith who purport that if they are married in the official temple of LDS, they can have an "Eternal Marriage". This concept is mostly due to misinterpretation of biblical scripture.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 03:39 PM
(09-08-2015 03:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I actually like the idea of Promessa, an alternative to burial or cremation, in which the body is superchilled, then shaken to dust and freeze-dried. The remains are given in a biodegradable sack which can be buried and, because it's not burned to ash, the nutrients within can be buried beneath a seedling to help fertilize the new growth. I'd like to be buried under a sapling tree with a small stone memorial, so my children/grandchildren can come see my tree and remember me, and I'll know that I contributed to the ecosystem rather than hampering it with my ashes or corpse.

Don't know if I'll include that in my wedding vows, but I love the idea of it. Smile

Edit to Add: It's so far only legal in Sweden, though it appears the UK is considering it. I hope the USA joins the 21st century by the time I'm a corpse.

Interesting, I hadnt thought of that. I always thought it would be amusing to be turned into bullets and shot...

http://www.myholysmoke.com/Our_Services.html

"The process of having cremated ash placed in live ammunition begins when you contact us. You tell us what type of hunting or shooting that the decedent practiced and we can help you decide what will best suit your needs. Feel free to email us, call us at (251) 213-1211 or (251) 232-4414 or complete the proposal form on our Buy Holy Smoke page, and we will gladly discuss the options (caliber, gauge, etc.) available to you. We are here to serve you and want to simplify the ordering process as much as possible.

Once the caliber, gauge and other ammunition parameters have been selected, we will ask you (by way of your funeral service provider) to send approximately one pound of the decedents ash to us. Upon receiving the ashes our professional and reverent staff will place a measured portion of ash into each shotshell or cartridge. (Please note that our process uses only a portion of the ash from a typical cremation.)

Example: 1 Pound of ash is enough to produce 250 shotshells (one case)."

Blink

But seriously, I had my girls and my wife cremated, always thought burying a body was a waste of precious earth space. To each their own..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Oooooooooooh! You could do both. Maybe cut off the head and have it cremated (assuming that's enough for a pound of ashes), and then freezedry the rest for nutrient-burial.

Southerners would go crazy for the "make dad into ammo" concept. Ha!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
09-08-2015, 04:27 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Favorite thing I saw during the recent Supreme Court decision coverage:

[Image: 8cbada631d159a245297af9be2c066ae.jpg]