Marriage and the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Marriage and the Bible
Personally speaking, I think marriage is outdated. It is more religious tied, and the bible speaks of it as a way of a man owning a woman, because it is his property. That is not the case today. I think that as our society becomes more secular we need to realize that marriage could be something that is as outdated as the bible. We do not treat women the way the Bible does especially in the old testament, as they are not property, but human beings just like men. Do you all think marriage could be outdated?

So, if you agree feel free to express your opionion and expand if you would like. If you disagree I am open to what you have to say Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2010, 10:17 AM
RE: Marriage and the Bible
No, I don't think that marriage is outdated. If two people want to make a symbolic gesture of love for each other, so much the better for them. I don't think it needs so much religious connotation, but we don't need to get rid of it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
30-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't think we should get rid of it, but everyone should be allowed to get married by the state. If the church wants to turn away gays that's fine, but there is no reason the state should deny it.

30-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Coming from someone who has been happily married for 10 years, I can tell you I agree with Unbeliever in that there should be some type of ceremony to provide the symbolism. Should religion play into it? Heck, no.

Ironically, I had this discussion with my wife (as it stemmed from a conversation I was having with her about Atheism). She asked me "so, since you don't believe in god, does that mean that our marriage is null and void?"

My simple answer was 'no, that's not what it means'. I went on to tell her that, since we feel strongly about one another, and that the church was our joint choice to go with, then our marriage is legitimate. Plus, in Canada (I'm sure it's the same in other countries as well), you technically get 'married' first by the government, then by the church. The church was just the formality for the family's benefit.

My mother is against common law arrangements (the arrangement where a man and woman live together for a long duration, but never 'officialize' it with a formal marriage). Although, my argument is 'what's the difference'? Her take is 'just get married'. Well, what if they can't afford to get married? What is 'marriage'? If you remove the religious component, is it really relevant any more to have a formal ceremony?

Needless to say, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go a more secular route (justice of the peace, Las Vegas, etc...) Smile
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2010, 10:59 PM

I am not agree with you that marriage is out dated.because in a couple between them an understanding, trust, and love is always derived.if there will be a perfect understanding with each other than this think make a wrong that 'marriage is outdated'.
25-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't think marriage is outdated, I think it just need a "make over". After all, it is a beautiful ceremony which its goal is to bring together 2 people as one.
In Israel, for example, there are some famous people whose objection to religion and state has brought them to do a secular ceremonies, which emphasis the united and equality in the new family which was made. After that, they made the marriage legal by marrying in Cyprus or a common- law agreement.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2010, 10:50 AM
My wife and I viewed our marriage as a celebration, and a chance to share that celebration with the people we care about. The ceremony was performed in the "temple of mother nature", by an ex-communicated priest (Who is now a proud atheist, that is dedicated to teaching others about the difference between being humble in the face of nature and life, and being "spiritual"). We even gave the theists in attendance a short opportunity to say a silent prayer if they wanted. Basically our marriage was openly atheist, but also performed so that there was no disrespect shown to our religous family and friends.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Good question, and one I have a definite opion on. Marriage to me has always been a ceremony of commitment to each other. Some choose to do this before their God so that they have its blessing, but marriage in no way needs God. The comitiment must be to each other. So in that sense marriage as I have defined it is not in any way outdated. Now the tricky part does this commitment ceremony need to called marriage? There is clearly a legal side to marriage this unfortunately is the nature of our lawyer dependent society. So when it comes to divorce, healthcare, death, children, etc... their are legal definitions to marriage. So for legal purposes you have to call this comitment ceremony something and we have chosen to call it marriage. So a term is necesary for legal purposes. THE PROBLEM is that the religous have taken ownership of the term marriage! What do I mean? OK from a govermental standpoint should it matter one bit what two individuals commit to each other? No it shouldn't if you sign the papers to make the "marriage" official you are held to all legal definitions of married. However they do care. WHY? Because religions care! There is no politician that can give you a legal explanation as to why gay marriage can't happen. Marriage is two people commited by law, done, finito. However there is such a religous stigma attached to the word married that for many politicians its political suicide to back any non-traditional union.

MY PROPOSAL: Give the term marriage back to religions. Here you go take it. The goverments (State that is) will only issue some kind of binding document stating that you are a legal union. If you want to be "married" you'll need to get your church to fill out their own paperwork. So the only way you are "married" is through church afiliation. The State and Federal goverments should remove any language referencing marriage and replace it with official union (or whatever). So the legal status of "married" (official union) couples will not change, but your only Married through a church. It will never happen, but it should.

FINAL ANSWER: The basic concept of legal commitment ceremony "marriage" is not outdated. The term marriage is far to convoluted with religous affiliation to continue to be used by our government. So the term Marriage as pertains to the legal status is very outdated!
26-05-2010, 02:03 PM

I recall a TV series in the mid-90's called Earth 2...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_2_(TV_series)

In it, they addressed marriage in an episode. It was revealed that marriage between a couple was a contract that had to be renewed every two years. I guess it was the 'future Earth's' way of combatting divorce, since you weren't expected to be with the same person for more than the alotted contract time.

If the two individuals were truly in love with one another, there would be no issue to renew. Likewise, if the union wasn't an ideal one, the relationship would be null and void in two years. Interesting concept.
26-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I really do think marraige has become outdated and unnecessary now days and it makes me sad to think about all the girls in 15 or 18 years growning up wont be dreaming of gettin married like we did when we were small. Ithink its a shame really, a wedding day is supposed to be one of the happiest days in a girls life but without marraige, there is no security. Your boyfriend can walk out on you one day, leave you with 3 children and a mortgage and you have no comback if there was no marraige. Also i think it sets good examples to keep this tradition going and kids need some sort of stability especailly with all the teenage mums and everything out there now days. I for one have my heart set on getting married when im older and the time is right and will not be settling for less.