Marriage; atheists vs. theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Marriage; atheists vs. theists
Could someone here describe seriously the main difference(s) between a theist’s and atheist’s marriage?

Thank you.

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2016, 08:55 AM
RE: Marriage; atheists vs. theists
At work.

Consider

Um... to what level of difference are you reffering?

A couple who are co-habiting but have no 'Legal' or other wise 'Official' recognition?

Are you also seeking all the different permutations of such co-habitation?

Really, you've asked both a broad as well as ill defined queetion.

Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-12-2016, 09:31 AM
(28-12-2016 08:49 AM)KerimF Wrote:  Could someone here describe seriously the main difference(s) between a theist’s and atheist’s marriage?

Thank you.

Both types of weddings would follow the traditions of the couple's choosing, to whatever extent they decide.
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
28-12-2016, 09:57 AM
(28-12-2016 08:49 AM)KerimF Wrote:  Could someone here describe seriously the main difference(s) between a theist’s and atheist’s marriage?

Thank you.

Atheists don't scream/moan "Oh god" at certain times.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-12-2016, 10:03 AM
(28-12-2016 09:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Thank you.

Atheists don't scream/moan "Oh god" at certain times.

We scream Richard Dawkins! instead Wink
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
28-12-2016, 10:06 AM
I think it depends on the couple and not on the belief. Obviously, there is no god in an atheist marriage--so no praying at the dinner table, no praying at all for God(s) to fix things, no hang-ups with sex, we can freely divorce (without retribution from a pissed deity) if we feel we are incompatible, we live in reality.
28-12-2016, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2016 10:18 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(28-12-2016 09:31 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

Thank you.

Both types of weddings would follow the traditions of the couple's choosing, to whatever extent they decide.

Well said, Aliza!

It is worth noting that "weddings" are precisely what is different, not marriages. Marriage is a legal, civil, secular union that is a contract between/among the parties and the state. A wedding is a service one may choose to have, in addition, that honors the traditions and beliefs of that couple. Often, a wedding will include multiple traditions in its honoring, such as when a Jew and a Catholic (for instance) get married. Often, I have seen weddings where more than one type of clergy were involved. [Edit to Add: Such as the contentious, down in South Louisiana where the mostly-Catholic Cajuns are surrounded by the Southern Baptist rest-of-the-South, wedding that requires a priest and a preacher.]

For secular people marrying people with a religious tradition, it would be remiss of us to marry a person whom we claim to love and wish to be forever (hypothetically, and hopefully, at the time of the wedding) and then not give them a wedding which includes honors their beliefs and traditions. Whatever tradition that is, be it active atheism or Christianity or Judaism or Shintoism or Jainism... the wedding is there to honor the personal traditions of the participants. It is to honor those being wed and all that they love, including one another. It's why we see Star Trek-themed weddings, for some particular lovers of that fictional world: because it is important to them.

Atheists who marry other atheists may still have beliefs that they wish to see preserved in a ceremony that, when you ignore the magical parts about "before God", even in religious versions is really about two people standing up before their friends and family (and social community) and stating that they are now partners. There is no reason atheists would not wish to do this, unless that is the personal choice of the individuals.

None of it has anything to do with the legal marriage or marriage documents/licenses, which the priest in even the most "traditional" Christian church wedding still signs in a side-office, sometime other than when the wedding ceremony is going on.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Are you asking about the wedding or the marriage, cause those are two different things. My husband and I are agnostic and atheist. I'm the atheist in the marriage.

We've never been to church in our 20 odd years of marriage (except for a few weddings but I don't count that as going to church) and we spend our Sundays in wedded bliss NOT listening to some delusional preacher drone on about his invisible friend. It's great.

Speaking of atheists and marriages, somewhere I read that atheists have a lower divorce rate than most Christian denominations. I think the only one lower than atheist were the Mormons. This was a few years ago that I read this statistic so it might have changed since then.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-12-2016, 10:49 AM
(28-12-2016 10:45 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Are you asking about the wedding or the marriage, cause those are two different things. My husband and I are agnostic and atheist. I'm the atheist in the marriage.

We've never been to church in our 20 odd years of marriage (except for a few weddings but I don't count that as going to church) and we spend our Sundays in wedded bliss NOT listening to some delusional preacher drone on about his invisible friend. It's great.

Speaking of atheists and marriages, somewhere I read that atheists have a lower divorce rate than most Christian denominations. I think the only one lower than atheist were the Mormons. This was a few years ago that I read this statistic so it might have changed since then.

Wow, we really are alike Tongue I'm the atheist and my fiance' is agnostic.
28-12-2016, 10:52 AM
(28-12-2016 10:03 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 09:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atheists don't scream/moan "Oh god" at certain times.

We scream Richard Dawkins! instead Wink

Continuing the theme:

Christians eat body of the Christ atheist couples eat each other Wink*

*Or babies and little kittens.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 10 users Like Szuchow's post