Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 09:38 AM
RE: Marriage
I'm married and I didn't have a wedding. So there.

Also I don't think marriage is necessary for a happy and loving relationship. But I also don't think that getting married increases your chances for misery either. It's all subjective. If you aren't interested in commitment then you shouldn't get married. Getting married won't sure your wanderlust. It will only hamper your legal ability to do so.

I have no issue with the concept of marriage existing. My only issue with marriage is that it is associated with religion. Separate it from that and couldn't care less one way or the other. I agree with BnW in that people have become very self relevant. Commitment is not as popular as it once was, thanks partially to the media we are surrounded by and also partially thanks to evolution of the species. It's cool to get married and divorced these days, to not even attempt to work through any issues.
Also as a species we no longer need to be a family unit to survive. We can be huge slutty self absorbed vacuums and get through every day, sometime with more success than a couple would.

I don't see any need to eradicate marriage because it has become passe. It has value to anyone genuinely willing to commit to one another. If there are any of those types of people left. It should be left alone as an option, though let's get the church out of it. Bunch of money grubbing douchebags.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 09:40 AM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2012, 09:53 AM
(18-04-2012 09:40 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

ROFL!!!! I remember that scene!

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
18-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I am twice widowed. The first time I was very young and we were only together for 5 years when he passed. Then I went through a series of live-in situations, none of them worked out too well. I am kind of a control freak, all live in situations took place in my house and they were all short lived because people would get on my nerves.

Then I met my second husband - marriage was far from my mind. But - we were the perfect match, we lived together for about a year when I popped the question. I don't really know why I did, it just came out. He accepted.

We went on to have a great, long marriage, we had our issues from time to time in the first few years but once we were fine tuned it was great and lasted til death do us part.

Now, I would not get married again, nor would I have a live in situation. I actually like being alone, always have. So did my husband, and I think that is part of why things worked out so well between us. I miss him terribly, but I don't miss having people live with me, if that makes any sense.

I am older now, have no interest in building a family, have always stood on my own two legs and am self sufficient, and I want to do what I want to do and have no intention of adapting my life style to someone else.

I guess I am a poor example of the general perception of what a "woman" is - but a fulfilled and happy one.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
18-04-2012, 10:41 AM
It's okay Erx...I understand.

All this kind of crap that I have lived through further proves to me a couple of things:

If God exists and he loves me, he has a crappy way of showing it...from day one.

If God exists and he doesn't give you more than you can handle, he and I have a big difference in opinion as to what I can take. All this crap along the way has meant that I have spent my life surviving...not living.

Prayer...to anyone or anything doesn't help a fucking thing. Suck it up and move on.

No pity party here...it's just the way it's been for me. I keep plugging away, it's all I know to do.

As my sig says...See here they are the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
18-04-2012, 03:19 PM
(18-04-2012 09:20 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You married Buckminster?

Now THAT'S funny. Nope. Maybe in 15 years.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Am I the only atheist opposed to same-sex marriage? veitstoss 152 3,754 13-01-2014 07:26 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Gay marriage argument over xmas. Am I mad? PatThePoltergeist 24 782 01-01-2014 11:45 PM
Last Post: PatThePoltergeist
  STOP Government Marriage!!! T.H. 60 1,702 17-07-2013 11:29 AM
Last Post: Koolay
  The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage: Is there one? TwoCultSurvivor 49 2,166 02-07-2013 03:20 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  how to change 37 states to accept same sex marriage Bows and Arrows 11 588 27-06-2013 05:56 PM
Last Post: BryanS
  Gay Marriage versus Polygamy Averroes 15 968 02-06-2013 09:23 AM
Last Post: Averroes
Rainbow Court decision on gay marriage would be good or bad? Revenant77x 21 1,235 03-04-2013 08:53 AM
Last Post: Smileemore