Married to God/Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Married to God/Jesus?
This is going to be a somewhat weird post, but might be interesting to some.

Christians (most) claim that God and/or Jesus lives inside them. They may not use the wording, but they imply that they are possessed by the Holy Spirit. One would think this would stifle any and all disagreements that they have with each other. But what this means, in a practical sense, if that an atheist is essentially married to God/Jesus and is bonking them on a regular basis.

Maybe some people are turned on and get off by thinking that they are making love to a deity, but this concept doesn't work for me. It's a huge turnoff. I want my wife and only my wife. But that's not what I get.

Does anyone else think of this stuff or is it just me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2018, 02:08 PM
RE: Married to God/Jesus?
It's just you.

But seriously, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post is the idea that nuns are traditionally known as "the bride of Christ", which always struck me as creepy, even when I was a gung-ho Catholic

(eeeewwww)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
16-01-2018, 03:09 PM
(16-01-2018 02:08 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  It's just you.

But seriously, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post is the idea that nuns are traditionally known as "the bride of Christ", which always struck me as creepy, even when I was a gung-ho Catholic

(eeeewwww)

Speaking as one who, as a child, was "taught" by nuns once a week for several years: nuns ARE creepy.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
16-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I also thought that this was going somewhere wildly different. Laugh out load

I thought you were going to say something along the lines of young girls who promise themselves to Jesus until they're married or something. That promise ring shit, or the chastity oaths/pledges or whatever.

Um yeah... I've never been married to a Christian, so I wouldn't know, but I don't think many atheists think this way. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
16-01-2018, 03:30 PM
(16-01-2018 02:03 PM)eclectic Wrote:  This is going to be a somewhat weird post, but might be interesting to some.

Christians (most) claim that God and/or Jesus lives inside them. They may not use the wording, but they imply that they are possessed by the Holy Spirit. One would think this would stifle any and all disagreements that they have with each other. But what this means, in a practical sense, if that an atheist is essentially married to God/Jesus and is bonking them on a regular basis.

Maybe some people are turned on and get off by thinking that they are making love to a deity, but this concept doesn't work for me. It's a huge turnoff. I want my wife and only my wife. But that's not what I get.

Well unlike apparently everyone else I'm not following you. If you are an atheist married to a Christian, you're not boinking god -- as you don't believe he exists. Your wife might think you're boinking god, but that would be her issue, not yours.

Now it might be that your wife thinks she's god, or at least She Who Must Be Obeyed, but that's not necessarily theological in origin.

You might cry "oh god" at the penultimate moment in sex, but that doesn't mean you're boinking god either.

I'm just straining to understand the problem here ... must be having a senior moment.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
16-01-2018, 04:08 PM
(16-01-2018 02:03 PM)eclectic Wrote:  This is going to be a somewhat weird post, but might be interesting to some.

.... no, but now that you mention it, it sounds like fun spouse-teasing material.

.... perhaps not WISE, but fun.

I am an antipistevist. That's like an antipastovist, only with epistemic responsibility instead of bruschetta.
16-01-2018, 04:10 PM
(16-01-2018 02:03 PM)eclectic Wrote:  Does anyone else think of this stuff or is it just me?

Yeah...it's just you. But nothing wrong with that!

16-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Christians (most) claim that God and/or Jesus lives inside them.

Do they?

Quote:They may not use the wording, but they imply that they are possessed by the Holy Spirit.

Citation needed.

Quote:One would think this would stifle any and all disagreements that they have with each other. But what this means, in a practical sense, if that an atheist is essentially married to God/Jesus and is bonking them on a regular basis.

No. If your assertion is true than it means that atheists are bonking people who believe in above mentioned.

Quote:Does anyone else think of this stuff or is it just me?

Just you, probably.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-01-2018, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2018 05:03 AM by eclectic.)
Well, *I* don't think I'm bonking God (because, as has been pointed out, God doesn't exist). But the theology of Christianity supports the notion. For instance, if I told my wife that the spirit of Elvis Presley was alive and living in me (as Christians believe about the spirit of Christ), then she would be, in a sense, making love to Elvis during sex.

It just another Christian claim that not only doesn't make sense, but makes things downright weird (unless you are the Virgin Mary).
16-01-2018, 08:36 PM
(16-01-2018 04:22 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
Quote:They may not use the wording, but they imply that they are possessed by the Holy Spirit.

Citation needed.

From a Billy Graham blog -- The moment that we receive Christ as Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to live in our hearts. Our body becomes the temple of the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit helps us live the Christian life.

Are you seriously unaware that this is a typical Christian belief?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user