Married to a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 05:17 PM
RE: Married to a believer
In my marriage, we are both atheists but the good thing is that we met each other during the phase of losing our faith but not being quite there yet.

My husband lost it all completely but sometimes I still have those moments where my brain wants to go back.
So here is how he deals with it when I have that, the good thing being that logically I know the flaws in my... let's call it emotional logic.
I usually tell him that I need him to talk some sense into me and then he does.

Now I am not sure how you and your partner are doing when it comes to this topic. Are you both open for honest discussions? Did you ever have big talks? Or does it usually end up in just not talking or a fight or something like that?
Because what I think is, that probably there needs to be a lot of talking to be done. Just to know deeply where each of you stands, maybe to talk through some things that bother your partner about atheism (maybe some misconspetions etc) and what bothers you about religion (maybe clarifications are needed etc)
I mean 4 years mean a lot, don't they. You two are pretty committed or not. So if this topic is such a big issue, you should just talk it out I think.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2016, 06:03 PM
RE: Married to a believer
(18-07-2016 03:52 PM)Typhon Wrote:  Well the first session went ok, just intake. We went over ground rules of discussions when religion pops up. Also no more forced church.

That's a good first step. Hopefully it will all work out.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post