Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA
(28-09-2015 11:46 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:37 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  To a normal person it's not much but to a scientist it is like a holy grail.

I'm just saying, to me they built it up way too much. Sad

It's a matter of perspective. This IS as huge as they built it up to be. And then some.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I was hoping for microbial life, so anything less than that was going to be a disappointment for me, honestly. I may get it.... eventually. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
28-09-2015, 11:58 AM
(28-09-2015 11:56 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I was hoping for microbial life, so anything less than that was going to be a disappointment for me, honestly. I may get it.... eventually. Undecided

Facepalm

This could indicate that there may be or have been some life on Mars.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
28-09-2015, 12:00 PM
(28-09-2015 11:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:56 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I was hoping for microbial life, so anything less than that was going to be a disappointment for me, honestly. I may get it.... eventually. Undecided

Facepalm

Whatever. I don't get it, I guess. Why not just wait when/if they do find life and then announce that? Or just have made the "hey we found flowing water" thing a little less "OMG we have a huge announcement". I may have my head up my ass. I don't know. Or I may just be having a bad day.

28-09-2015, 12:02 PM
(28-09-2015 12:00 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Facepalm

Whatever. I don't get it, I guess. Why not just wait when/if they do find life and then announce that? Or just have made the "hey we found flowing water" thing a little less "OMG we have a huge announcement". I may have my head up my ass. I don't know. Or I may just be having a bad day.

Because it's strong evidence of possible life, it's a great discovery and one that could in turn make for even more amazing discoveries. If you are having a bad day though I do hope it gets better Sad

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
28-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Article at NASA.

Quote:"When most people talk about water on Mars, they're usually talking about ancient water or frozen water," he said. "Now we know there’s more to the story. This is the first spectral detection that unambiguously supports our liquid water-formation hypotheses for RSL."

The discovery is the latest of many breakthroughs by NASA’s Mars missions.

“It took multiple spacecraft over several years to solve this mystery, and now we know there is liquid water on the surface of this cold, desert planet,” said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA’s Mars Exploration Program at the agency’s headquarters in Washington. “It seems that the more we study Mars, the more we learn how life could be supported and where there are resources to support life in the future.”

Quote:These downhill flows, known as recurring slope lineae (RSL), often have been described as possibly related to liquid water.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-09-2015, 12:24 PM
It's rather interesting the manners of finding water is growing the better we get at searching and studying out there with better instruments.

Excitingly delicious salty gross water Drooling

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
28-09-2015, 12:31 PM
(28-09-2015 12:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:00 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Whatever. I don't get it, I guess. Why not just wait when/if they do find life and then announce that? Or just have made the "hey we found flowing water" thing a little less "OMG we have a huge announcement". I may have my head up my ass. I don't know. Or I may just be having a bad day.

Because it's strong evidence of possible life, it's a great discovery and one that could in turn make for even more amazing discoveries. If you are having a bad day though I do hope it gets better Sad

Aye, this.

I'm guessing you're just having a bad day, EA. Stress will do that to you, and you've got shit to be stressed about. So, I forgive you for being under-enthusiastic about this. Tongue

But it REALLY REALLY is a huge discovery. Looking for signs of previous life is a bit more difficult than looking for living life. Think of it as the difference between going out to the desert to look for a rattlesnake vs digging in the desert to find a rattlesnake fossil. Living things leave active evidence and can be seen just by observing them moving around. Finding a fossil is a lot of fruitless searching, dead ends, false leads, and very delicate work.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I know it's probably been expressed, but it's not just water.

It's not just liquid water.

It's liquid saline.

This is the same stuff that WE evolved in. And people don't really give a rip and are more concerned with fucking Caitlyn Jenner.

We now have substantial evidence that we could sustain life on our closest celestial neighbor besides the moon.

A flight to Mars is getting shorter and shorter and cheaper and cheaper... and less deadly.

Humans could colonize Mars and the majority of people don't care.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 6 users Like kingschosen's post
28-09-2015, 12:55 PM
(28-09-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know it's probably been expressed, but it's not just water.

It's not just liquid water.

It's liquid saline.

This is the same stuff that WE evolved in. And people don't really give a rip and are more concerned with fucking Caitlyn Jenner.

We now have substantial evidence that we could sustain life on our closest celestial neighbor besides the moon.

A flight to Mars is getting shorter and shorter and cheaper and cheaper... and less deadly.

Humans could colonize Mars and the majority of people don't care.

Good, they can all stay on this planet. Mars will be a world of intelligence and science nerdery.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post