28-09-2015, 12:59 PM
RE: Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA
Hug Kingschosen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-09-2015, 01:00 PM
(28-09-2015 11:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  they said it was salty, brine water. I fell asleep thru the questions, did anyone ask if there is a place here on earth with similar conditions?

take 2

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-09-2015, 01:03 PM
(28-09-2015 01:00 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  they said it was salty, brine water. I fell asleep thru the questions, did anyone ask if there is a place here on earth with similar conditions?

take 2

Dead Sea?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
28-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Even if they don't find anything more significant re: some form of life in the water, the fact that the only planet we've had a chance to look for water on has it I'd say this at least increases the theoretical chances of finding something more significant somewhere else at a later point in time.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Not only could it still have life. Liquid water is a sign that it could be easier than we thought to colonize! So exciting!
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-09-2015, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't look at colonizing Mars anytime soon . With no magnetic field and little atmosphere the sun's radiation isn't much less than in space.....

It'd be a very tough environment to try to survive in.

We're not even close to ready to try.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-09-2015, 01:29 PM
(28-09-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know it's probably been expressed, but it's not just water.

It's not just liquid water.

It's liquid saline.

This is the same stuff that WE evolved in. And people don't really give a rip and are more concerned with fucking Caitlyn Jenner.

I doubt it is the same stuff we evolved in. A long time ago there probably existed the same stuff we evolved in but this stuff is perchlorate brine and not seawater.

But we should send a mission to mars to take a sample of this stuff and put it under a microscope for a looksee. I'd bet it is sterile but would not be shocked if it contained microbes. If it turned out those microbes had a different lineage than microbes from earth that would surprise me.
28-09-2015, 01:55 PM
(28-09-2015 01:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know it's probably been expressed, but it's not just water.

It's not just liquid water.

It's liquid saline.

This is the same stuff that WE evolved in. And people don't really give a rip and are more concerned with fucking Caitlyn Jenner.

I doubt it is the same stuff we evolved in. A long time ago there probably existed the same stuff we evolved in but this stuff is perchlorate brine and not seawater.

But we should send a mission to mars to take a sample of this stuff and put it under a microscope for a looksee. I'd bet it is sterile but would not be shocked if it contained microbes. If it turned out those microbes had a different lineage than microbes from earth that would surprise me.

Here's a piece on the pre-announcement speculation. It includes a map where the RSL have been spotted. It may be a pain in the ass to get there. When it was just speculation, it seemed that NASA had no intentions of going there. Of course, that may have changed.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-09-2015, 02:14 PM
(28-09-2015 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I wouldn't look at colonizing Mars anytime soon . With no magnetic field and little atmosphere the sun's radiation isn't much less than in space.....

It'd be a very tough environment to try to survive in.

We're not even close to ready to try.

But we are one huge step closer. Water is a huge limiter to colonization. You either have to bring/restock the water supply from Earth or extract it from somewhere on planet. Prior, we thought the only water was locked in the soil or the icecaps and would be a bitch and a half to extract or transport. This is showing that there is a large amount of water in the warmer places, where we'd colonize that could be much easier to get at.

Radiation is still an issue, but one that could be dealt with, partially with water shields.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-09-2015, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015 02:49 PM by Full Circle.)
Trying to edumucate myself here on what perchlorate is...

"Perchlorate in Drinking Water
Regulatory Update and Treatment Options
Perchlorate is a chemical primarily used in the manufacturing of explosives and rocket propellants for the defense and aerospace industries. Low levels of ammonium perchlorate have also been found to occur naturally in the environment. In 1997, perchlorate was found to be a contaminant in drinking water supplies for the Western United States. The issue was triggered when elevated levels of perchlorate were discovered in California drinking water supplies using a new, more sensitive analytical method. More recent occurrence studies have found perchlorate contamination in both groundwater and surface waters serving as drinking water sources for more than 16 million people in at least 26 states nationwide, though most often in the southwest.
Perchlorate is classified as a goitrogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), because at high levels it can interfere with the thyroid’s ability to uptake iodide and thus affect hormone production. Thyroid hormones play a vital role in the growth and development of the central nervous system of fetuses and infants. According to the National Research Council, pregnant women, infants, children, and people with iodine-deficient diets or preexisting thyroid deficiencies may be more sensitive to perchlorate than the general population.”

http://www.waterrf.org/resources/stateof...cience.pdf

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post