Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 02:48 PM
RE: Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA
This from a 2010 paper

"Abstract

[1] The Phoenix Wet Chemistry Lab (WCL) discovered substantial amounts of magnesium, calcium, and sodium perchlorate in the soil of polar Mars. Magnesium perchlorate is likely the dominant salt in the polar region's soils. But it could be that the cations are contributed by a mixture of Mg, Ca, and Na. Mg, Ca, and Na perchlorate brines can stay liquid as low as ∼−69, −74, −32°C, respectively. WCL reports 0.7 % (wt) of the soil is pure perchlorate, and if 5% of the northern permanent ice cap is soil, then the perchlorate could make about 1/2800 of the ice cap. This suggests there could be enough perchlorate in the ice cap to generate about 1–3 m of brine at the bed. Large areas under the north polar cap have basal temperatures above −69°C so the Mg and Ca perchlorate brines would be liquid. Because of its high density, the perchlorate brine would pool over impervious layers and make the bed into a perchlorate sludge, which could be mobilized and deformed by the weight of the overburden of ice and soil. The sludge would be deformed and moved outward and stop where the basal temperature dropped below −69°C. During the warmest climates, any frozen cold dam at the edge could be breached and the brine reintroduced to the polar surface. Some of the brine could have penetrated downward under the ice cap. This mobile sludge-bed ice cap has been modeled with a 2-D time-varying model. Results of such model runs have similarities to measured layers found by shallow subsurface radar.”

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.10...5/abstract

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-09-2015, 03:33 PM
(28-09-2015 11:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  they said it was salty, brine water. I fell asleep thru the questions, did anyone ask if there is a place here on earth with similar conditions?

I think it's called brackish water where fresh water and sea water meet and mix. Delicious blue crabs love it.

#sigh
28-09-2015, 05:08 PM
(28-09-2015 12:31 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Because it's strong evidence of possible life, it's a great discovery and one that could in turn make for even more amazing discoveries. If you are having a bad day though I do hope it gets better Sad

Aye, this.

I'm guessing you're just having a bad day, EA. Stress will do that to you, and you've got shit to be stressed about. So, I forgive you for being under-enthusiastic about this. Tongue

But it REALLY REALLY is a huge discovery. Looking for signs of previous life is a bit more difficult than looking for living life. Think of it as the difference between going out to the desert to look for a rattlesnake vs digging in the desert to find a rattlesnake fossil. Living things leave active evidence and can be seen just by observing them moving around. Finding a fossil is a lot of fruitless searching, dead ends, false leads, and very delicate work.

Thanks Hug and yeah, I've been on an emotional roller-coaster lately. I was so worried I wouldn't get a place to live, and then I got one and I know my parents won't be thrilled about it so I'm worried about that, and I'm absolutely elated that this two-year wait to be with Revs is soon to be even more worth it than it already has been (because he is an amazing man), and we are super fucking busy at work (4th quarter is a bitch) so to say I've got a lot going on is an understatement. Hobo Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
28-09-2015, 05:25 PM
(28-09-2015 12:00 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Facepalm

This could indicate that there may be or have been some life on Mars.

Whatever. I don't get it, I guess. Why not just wait when/if they do find life and then announce that? Or just have made the "hey we found flowing water" thing a little less "OMG we have a huge announcement". I may have my head up my ass. I don't know. Or I may just be having a bad day.

I watched part of the live feed today and the scientists were saying that the water could be purified for astronauts and even turned into rocket fuel. Based on a prompt from a reporter's question, one rep even mentioned the possibility of using the water to help genetically modified crops grow on the planet. So the discovery of flowing water is a big deal even if life hasn't be concretely proven.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
28-09-2015, 05:41 PM
(28-09-2015 03:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  they said it was salty, brine water. I fell asleep thru the questions, did anyone ask if there is a place here on earth with similar conditions?

I think it's called brackish water where fresh water and sea water meet and mix. Delicious blue crabs love it.

As do bull sharks.

I think this is huge news.

As for colonizing, it likely won't happen in our lifetime, but it will happen. Provided the religious nutcases don't destroy the earth first!

If the human race can simply survive and keep trying, who knows what is possible?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-09-2015, 06:14 PM
(28-09-2015 12:00 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  ...
Whatever. I don't get it, I guess. Why not just wait when/if they do find life and then announce that? Or just have made the "hey we found flowing water" thing a little less "OMG we have a huge announcement". I may have my head up my ass. I don't know. Or I may just be having a bad day.

Funding.

It's all about funding.

It goes from, "Why are we spending so much tax-payer money on an unsupported speculation?" to, "Really? You mean that it is worth spending more money."

Even scientifically-semi-literate people are now going to start wondering "what if?"

(28-09-2015 01:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
But we should send a mission to mars to take a sample of this stuff and put it under a microscope for a looksee.

Told ya.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Flowing water on Mars!
Nasa has just recently confirmed there being strong evidence of flowing water on Mars. I don't know about you guys but this sort of discivery excites me Tongue

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-...day-s-mars

Btw, anyone else looking forward to seeing 'The Martian?' I love films that aim to be realistic scientifically (cept for the literally incomprehensible 'storm' that kicks off the story).

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
28-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Thread merged (again) its really exciting news!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-09-2015, 06:49 PM
(28-09-2015 06:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread merged (again) its really exciting news!

Sorry, didn't see this thread Tongue

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
28-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Dammit I'm gonna die just when things start to get interesting. Can't I just hit pause and resume my life once we find Klingons and stuff?

'Murican Canadian