Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 06:29 PM
RE: Mars - Big announcement on Monday from NASA
If any living thing that was purportedly viable in the rover when launched, it is long since dead, imo. Space is one nasty place. Vacuum, hard radiation, extreme cold. Looks like comedy gold, to me. We used to scrub space capsules after they de-orbited, in the most nutrient-rich environment- the ocean, in case they brought bugs back from space. I think we worry way to much. FWIW, if a microbe did manage to survive the trip, it is entirely possible for the Martian wind to blow it around, and eventually settle in the area with water. I'd like to see somebody assign a probability to that. It going to be like 10 ^^(-69).

Now, if the water did have life in it, NASA will be accused, anyway. Might as well get it over with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2015, 06:58 PM
We've had microscopic insect like organisms that survived on satellites and even laid eggs. I forgot what they're called and I'm too lazy to look it up from my phone Tongue. Granted, that's quite different than a vacation to Mars clinging to Curiosity, but interesting (to me anyway) nonetheless.

'Murican Canadian
30-09-2015, 07:01 PM
(30-09-2015 06:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We've had microscopic insect like organisms that survived on satellites and even laid eggs. I forgot what they're called and I'm too lazy to look it up from my phone Tongue. Granted, that's quite different than a vacation to Mars clinging to Curiosity, but interesting (to me anyway) nonetheless.

That's one tough bug, not being an air breather! Crazy stuff. I studied physics instead of going into medicine, because I would have had a tough time with a patient dying on me. So, I didn't study a lot of biology (nil at the university, actually).
30-09-2015, 07:17 PM
(30-09-2015 07:01 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 06:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We've had microscopic insect like organisms that survived on satellites and even laid eggs. I forgot what they're called and I'm too lazy to look it up from my phone Tongue. Granted, that's quite different than a vacation to Mars clinging to Curiosity, but interesting (to me anyway) nonetheless.

That's one tough bug, not being an air breather! Crazy stuff. I studied physics instead of going into medicine, because I would have had a tough time with a patient dying on me. So, I didn't study a lot of biology (nil at the university, actually).

Here we go...

They're called tardigrades, nicknamed water bears. Interesting stuff.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a1...-17069978/

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
30-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Just some continued thoughts on the tardigrades and Mars as I sit here on the toilet pooping, contemplating, and playing with my phone...

If 68% can survive 10 days in space, some having even laid eggs during the process, and then upon exposure to water reanimate as if nothing ever happened, I don't find it completely inconceivable that some could survive a trip to Mars, reanimate upon introduction to Mars water, and adapt to thrive in its environment.

Statistically unlikely, perhaps, but not out of the question. And we're not talking about microbes, we're talking about organisms that, despite their microscopic size, are comparatively complex in that they have legs, fuck, lay eggs, etc. I think life could potentially exist in much harsher environments than we might have thought possible a few decades or even a few days ago.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-09-2015, 08:42 PM
(30-09-2015 07:17 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 07:01 PM)Fireball Wrote:  That's one tough bug, not being an air breather! Crazy stuff. I studied physics instead of going into medicine, because I would have had a tough time with a patient dying on me. So, I didn't study a lot of biology (nil at the university, actually).

Here we go...

Well, shit. Tardigrades are probably our 10^^69 grandparents, then. I'm OK with that. It's better than being made by that xtian "god"- it just is what it is, in our family tree.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
30-09-2015, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 05:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-09-2015 08:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 07:17 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Here we go...

Well, shit. Tardigrades are probably our 10^^69 grandparents, then. I'm OK with that. It's better than being made by that xtian "god"- it just is what it is, in our family tree.

If they do find life on Mars, my money's on the tardigrade. I think they might be God. Big Grin

[Image: bear.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-10-2015, 12:05 AM
(30-09-2015 09:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 08:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Well, shit. Tardigrades are probably our 10^^69 grandparents, then. I'm OK with that. It's better than being made by that xtian "god"- it just is what it is, in our family tree.

If they do find life on Mars, my money's on tardigrade.

I didn't even know they existed until I watched the new Cosmos. Astounding creatures.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM
(30-09-2015 09:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 08:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Well, shit. Tardigrades are probably our 10^^69 grandparents, then. I'm OK with that. It's better than being made by that xtian "god"- it just is what it is, in our family tree.

If they do find life on Mars, my money's on the tardigrade. I think they might be God. Big Grin

Gasp Grandpa!