Mars mission selection 'to be reality TV show'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Mars mission selection 'to be reality TV show'
Wow! I never would have thought of doing this. My first reaction was to roll my eyes, but actually this may spark some new interest in space exploration whether or not a mars trip happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
02-01-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: Mars mission selection 'to be reality TV show'
I really hate the idea of commercializing, or trivializing, or privatizing space and new territories/properties associated with it.

Yes, I'm sure "Keeping up with the Kardashians" IN SPACE will get everyone invested and interested in space, but is that really the right type of interest that we need?

Are we going to take our laziness, apathy, cheap commercializing and just expand it outside of earth?

I'm not saying things like "reality shows" are destroying society. I'm saying they're a canary in the a coal mine. Keep that the toxic gas on earth.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
02-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Is it any surprise? As big of a thing as colonizing mars is, you know somebody's gotta capitalize on that shit. I think it could be pretty cool, if done right. Plus it does give the world a little more interest in the whole thing by being able to get to know and create a little emotional investment with the folks who get picked.

But then again, every time I hear "reality show" I always throw up a little in my mouth..... Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Interesting. Well, that's one way to try and raise money/interest in space exploration. Once one private org. gets this project underway, it'll spark further interest and then it could be race to get there first (just like the moon - although way more expensive). It'll be exciting to see what happens.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
02-01-2014, 06:54 PM
The most effective team would get along so well that there wouldn't be a very interesting show. Picking anything less than the best team just to increase entertainment value would be immoral. I'd probably still watch it, even if it was a whole lot of procedures and same shit different day.
[+] 5 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
02-01-2014, 06:58 PM
(02-01-2014 06:47 PM)aurora Wrote:  Interesting. Well, that's one way to try and raise money/interest in space exploration. Once one private org. gets this project underway, it'll spark further interest and then it could be race to get there first (just like the moon - although way more expensive). It'll be exciting to see what happens.

I'm thinking the only way to have a successful mission would be to pool our resources and make it a global mission, not a contest. The biggest mistake we could make is to think that something this important needs to be a battle of egos.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
I have a better Idea! Let`s make a casting show to determin people who are sent to Mars...... on a one way trip!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
(02-01-2014 07:04 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I have a better Idea! Let`s make a casting show to determin people who are sent to Mars...... on a one way trip!

Hmmm... that would make it a lot cheaper....

~ Umberto Eco
02-01-2014, 07:09 PM
(02-01-2014 06:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:47 PM)aurora Wrote:  Interesting. Well, that's one way to try and raise money/interest in space exploration. Once one private org. gets this project underway, it'll spark further interest and then it could be race to get there first (just like the moon - although way more expensive). It'll be exciting to see what happens.

I'm thinking the only way to have a successful mission would be to pool our resources and make it a global mission, not a contest. The biggest mistake we could make is to think that something this important needs to be a battle of egos.

I agree that it should be a global mission but so many people on this earth don't think interplanetary travel is a priority (yes, the dumb-arses - meaning the religious Big Grin ), so I'm not sure if that would ever happen.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
02-01-2014, 07:11 PM
(02-01-2014 07:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hmmm... that would make it a lot cheaper....

And more worth watching! I cant stand these imbecils that turn up at casting shows.

Watching them being sent into certain death on a red wasteland sounds very satisfying.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]