Mars mission selection 'to be reality TV show'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 07:12 PM
RE: Mars mission selection 'to be reality TV show'
(02-01-2014 07:09 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm thinking the only way to have a successful mission would be to pool our resources and make it a global mission, not a contest. The biggest mistake we could make is to think that something this important needs to be a battle of egos.

I agree that it should be a global mission but so many people on this earth don't think interplanetary travel is a priority (yes, the dumb-arses - meaning the religious Big Grin ), so I'm not sure if that would ever happen.

Sure, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a priority to hold attention. It's pretty fucking cool regardless.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Oh. I thought this was for the fly-by, in which case the craft is pretty much following a ballistic earth-return trajectory so doesn't need much in-vehicle control. Doing the actual one way trip this way is... interesting. There is no fundamental reason why the selection process couldn't be filmed in a documentary fashion while still maintaining high standards. The people who are doing the selection must be firmly in control of things, however.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-01-2014, 12:56 AM
(02-01-2014 07:04 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I have a better Idea! Let`s make a casting show to determin people who are sent to Mars...... on a one way trip!

It is a one way trip, ha ha. I don't think I can make that trip... but I know some people who should. Angel

~~~

Does a reality show have to be drama? Maybe it can be documentary style, and the cliff hangers can be stuff like "Did he pass his physical" or "Does he do well in the nasa pool" or something.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
03-01-2014, 02:34 AM
(03-01-2014 12:56 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  ....
Does a reality show have to be drama? Maybe it can be documentary style, and the cliff hangers can be stuff like "Did he pass his physical" or "Does he do well in the nasa pool" or something.

A more appropriate question would be "Does he/she do well in the gene pool", would it not?

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 02:44 AM
I kind of like the idea, the only thing is that it's going to be years before they even go into space. They are going to be highly trained and that takes time, they aren't just gonna rocket them up to Mars, that would be just insane. I also hear that it is a one way trip to set up a small base, make no mistake they are gonna weed out all the attention whores and eliminate any melodrama. If it actually does happen, and it works. You have any idea what this could mean? Foundation of a space colony on freaking MARS!

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
03-01-2014, 02:56 AM
(03-01-2014 02:44 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I kind of like the idea, the only thing is that it's going to be years before they even go into space. They are going to be highly trained and that takes time, they aren't just gonna rocket them up to Mars, that would be just insane. I also hear that it is a one way trip to set up a small base, make no mistake they are gonna weed out all the attention whores and eliminate any melodrama. If it actually does happen, and it works. You have any idea what this could mean? Foundation of a space colony on freaking MARS!

I believe it will be 2025. 10 years = 20 seasons. Survivor is at what, 25, 26? Maybe 30. Something like this. Big Grin
03-01-2014, 03:10 AM
(03-01-2014 02:56 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:44 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I kind of like the idea, the only thing is that it's going to be years before they even go into space. They are going to be highly trained and that takes time, they aren't just gonna rocket them up to Mars, that would be just insane. I also hear that it is a one way trip to set up a small base, make no mistake they are gonna weed out all the attention whores and eliminate any melodrama. If it actually does happen, and it works. You have any idea what this could mean? Foundation of a space colony on freaking MARS!

I believe it will be 2025. 10 years = 20 seasons. Survivor is at what, 25, 26? Maybe 30. Something like this. Big Grin

So they should be selecting teenagers.

I hope there is a hidden agenda... I hope they choose only religious whack-job extremists from the major monotheisms.

Then we could watch the carnage from the comfort of our own planet.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 03:12 AM
(03-01-2014 03:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:56 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I believe it will be 2025. 10 years = 20 seasons. Survivor is at what, 25, 26? Maybe 30. Something like this. Big Grin

So they should be selecting teenagers.

I hope there is a hidden agenda... I hope they choose only religious whack-job extremists from the major monotheisms.

Then we could watch the carnage from the comfort of our own planet.

Angel

Y'know, a bit like the Europeans did a couple of centuries ago.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 03:22 AM
4 people and their lives will be shown live on tv 24/7/365. I suppose if they actually land on mars.

Like the Truman Show.

They hope to send 2 people every two years after that. It's a one way ticket by the way.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-01-2014, 06:43 AM
There will certainly be a bunch of people amongst them who only want to be the first humans to have sex in space.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post