Martial arts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2016, 09:30 AM
RE: Martial arts.
(10-04-2016 08:45 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 07:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I agree with you tht point, but I think its hard to assess the establish martial genealogy, especially with the pseudo-historical nature of many. For Tai Chi, I had heard the the style was born in the 12th-13th century or so (I made a type in my previous post, I am sorry) amongst «sellswords» and performers. Later, their style was merged with some wrestling styles of the invading Mongols and was later codified and adopted by high ranking soldiers a few centuries later with strong influence from neo-confucianism philosophical school to create what we consider «modern» Tai Chi. Than again, I got that resume from a practionner a few years back during a seminar. My memory can be blurry so there might stem some confusion. Thanks for the link though and the book sugestion. I will definetly look it up.

My pleasure. Another good book is Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals (2005) by Brian Kennedy. It's more pseudo-scholarly (no citations), but it's still a good source of info.

I already have this one, but thanks.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2016, 12:23 AM
(06-04-2016 05:26 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 05:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I dunno -- kaboom beats karate in my book.

It depends. The great Hwang Jang Li killed a soldier who had a rifle in his back during the Vietnam war. Disarmed him and kicked him in the head.

Kaboom is the coward's way. At least in my book.

Nonsense. While I have practiced karate for a number of years, the truth is hand to hand combat is only used when you're out of ammunition, out of ideas, or just plan shit out of luck. That's just the reality of modern warfare.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
11-04-2016, 01:15 AM
(11-04-2016 12:23 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 05:26 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It depends. The great Hwang Jang Li killed a soldier who had a rifle in his back during the Vietnam war. Disarmed him and kicked him in the head.

Kaboom is the coward's way. At least in my book.

Nonsense. While I have practiced karate for a number of years, the truth is hand to hand combat is only used when you're out of ammunition, out of ideas, or just plan shit out of luck. That's just the reality of modern warfare.

Not every situation is warfare. What about just down the street?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-04-2016, 02:11 AM
(06-04-2016 03:12 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Plus it's a place to vent my frustration without hurting other threads. Wink

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir. Bowing
Cheers,
A=T

“Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.” --Douglas Adams
[+] 1 user Likes Atheism=truth's post
11-04-2016, 07:27 AM
(11-04-2016 01:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 12:23 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Nonsense. While I have practiced karate for a number of years, the truth is hand to hand combat is only used when you're out of ammunition, out of ideas, or just plan shit out of luck. That's just the reality of modern warfare.

Not every situation is warfare. What about just down the street?

Depends on what the threat is and how you are entitled by law to respond. When it comes to life and death, chivalry is bullshit. The bad guys know it as well as the good ones. There is no honorable or dishonorable combat; it's about surviving and defeating the other guy and you do whatever is neede to accomplish that. Chivalry is the molded around those results. The winners write the history books and determine who was the honorable and valorous party. The losers go into the ground and dead people don't argue with those results.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
14-04-2016, 06:27 PM
When I was in the Ranger School a couple centuries ago, we were taught martial arts by a couple of Israeli officers. I didn't know what it was at the time but later learned it was "Krav Maga." When I got out of the army, I did chi do kwan for a few years. For the last 25 years, I've carried either a .357 Mag or a .40 S & W for self defense. I'm old and crippled and I'm not going to try to take on some Ranger or Special Forces soldier from Ft. Carson with my aged martial art skills if one of them tries to kill me. We have a county jail full of those guys with PTSD awaiting trial on murder charges. I'm not going to be one of their victims.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
14-04-2016, 07:13 PM
(14-04-2016 06:27 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  When I was in the Ranger School a couple centuries ago, we were taught martial arts by a couple of Israeli officers. I didn't know what it was at the time but later learned it was "Krav Maga." When I got out of the army, I did chi do kwan for a few years. For the last 25 years, I've carried either a .357 Mag or a .40 S & W for self defense. I'm old and crippled and I'm not going to try to take on some Ranger or Special Forces soldier from Ft. Carson with my aged martial art skills if one of them tries to kill me. We have a county jail full of those guys with PTSD awaiting trial on murder charges. I'm not going to be one of their victims.

Army combatives now could best be described as having a little MMA style striking with a Brazilian Jiujitsu base but a focus on creating opportunities to go for your sidearm rather than going for a submission. And also on ending the fight or disengaging quickly based on the concept that regardless of your skill as a martial artist, victory is statistically likely to go to whoever's buddies show up first.

'Murican Canadian
15-04-2016, 01:06 AM
(11-04-2016 07:27 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 01:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Not every situation is warfare. What about just down the street?

Depends on what the threat is and how you are entitled by law to respond. When it comes to life and death, chivalry is bullshit. The bad guys know it as well as the good ones. There is no honorable or dishonorable combat; it's about surviving and defeating the other guy and you do whatever is neede to accomplish that. Chivalry is the molded around those results. The winners write the history books and determine who was the honorable and valorous party. The losers go into the ground and dead people don't argue with those results.

And...?

If I am in a tight spot at the local pub, it is better for everyone if I can either avoid the conflict altogether, or if pressed place the opponent in a submission hold. Pulling a gun and shooting the person is both over the top and involves a gaol term.

Not everything is extreme. Killing someone is extreme. A person trying to kill you is extreme. Warfare is extreme and calls for appropriate measures. As does a drunk making a pass at one's girl or something. Stopping this person does not have to involve killing said person.

Learning the difference is important.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-04-2016, 02:49 AM
The OP is just up my street...Have been toying with the idea to get back into "action" and join a local gym.
I used to do some goju kai - but the tedious kata's killed it for me. I then took up boxing which flowed into kick boxing. I'm no MMA/UFC fighter, but the skills, discipline and respect taught is indispensable Thumbsup
I'm thinking of focusing on BJJ and Muay Thai - let's see what happens Big Grin

Spoon feeding in the long run, teaches nothing but the shape of the spoon! E.M. Forster
25-04-2016, 08:53 AM
I want to take classes, but I am poor.

Capoeira is really what I think is cool, but like all smart people I will learn various martial arts. Mostly mauy thai(because it is something I also love), brazilian jiu jitsu, and krav maga.

And as for guns, why not both? I say learn how to use every weapon. Hell learn how to use tools as weapons.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube