Martian Warts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Martian Warts
No, they're not really warts.

It's a new geological puzzle that NASA is facing, since the Rover Opportunity sent back this image:

[Image: mars_-_sept_14__2012_art-7-19377.png]

They're different than the Mars "blueberries" - iron-laden beads that Opportunity has discovered in numerous locations. These small spherical objects are about 3 mm in diameter, and are located in the "Kirkwood" region.

Any guess as to what it is? It will be awhile before things get figured out.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2012, 09:31 AM
RE: Martian Warts
Of course those are fuel spheres for martian spaceships! this NASA people don't know shit!

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
15-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Martian Warts
Martian nipples?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Gwynnie poop.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
15-09-2012, 10:58 AM
That's a cool photo! Smile

Looks like an interesting formation... sort of like boiling or maybe frothing. It reminds me of water splashing into a pile of clay. Droplets of water form little craters, like at the top of the photo. As the process continues, the sides of the craters build with more clay dust and sort of dust bubbles form. I've seen that happen while mixing clay. Add heat to that process and that could solidify.

I wish I had a more in depth geology education. I love picking up rocks and keep them around for their look and feel, but I never pursued knowledge beyond the required earth science levels. I slept with a geologist once. Sadly, my education remained... unimproved. TMI? Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
15-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Iron-laden beads would be my guess.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
15-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Martian Warts
(15-09-2012 10:58 AM)kim Wrote:  That's a cool photo! Smile

Looks like an interesting formation... sort of like boiling or maybe frothing. It reminds me of water splashing into a pile of clay. Droplets of water form little craters, like at the top of the photo. As the process continues, the sides of the craters build with more clay dust and sort of dust bubbles form. I've seen that happen while mixing clay. Add heat to that process and that could solidify.

I wish I had a more in depth geology education. I love picking up rocks and keep them around for their look and feel, but I never pursued knowledge beyond the required earth science levels. I slept with a geologist once. Sadly, my education remained... unimproved. TMI? Undecided

That must've been a rocky relationship. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Ant hills.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Looks to me like Mars forgot to use protection.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-09-2012, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 02:54 PM by Janus.)
Looks like syphillis...

No seriously, to me that looks like volcanism! That's the remains of a boiling hot percolating mud spring, frozen in time. Those are – or rather were – the bubbles popping up from deep down. And if there was volcanism there were tectonics! Question is: how long ago was that?