Mary's Virginity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2012, 12:24 PM
RE: Mary's Virginity
Virgins births just may be possible in nature as a random opportunity.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...males.html
Still does not prove or disprove anything regarding divine intervention.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
29-05-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.colombospace.com/Youtube/tCkcaItC3Hs

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
29-05-2012, 05:10 PM
The story was made up long after the alleged fact.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-05-2012, 09:11 PM
(29-05-2012 12:24 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Virgins births just may be possible in nature as a random opportunity.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...males.html
Still does not prove or disprove anything regarding divine intervention.
Fascinating article! Who knew?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
29-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Looking back on it, I don't think I was ever taught about a virgin birth. It was always an "Immaculate Conception". Even if Mary was a Virgin when she conceived, she sure as heck wasnt by the time she got married and rode that donkey all the way to Bethlehem

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
30-05-2012, 12:51 AM
(28-05-2012 03:33 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  [Image: 35i10x.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRg5W2VHi4gyQk5VLgPMi...5tdkwPxX7S]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV6oi_xaAQ6VKHiI050l0...611tNA9vtQ]
Lol, that first picture is from a billboard here in New Zealand, without the words of course. Guess who owns that billboard? a church.
They've put up other controversial (as you could imagine that picture would be) ones including God and Marry laying in bed together.

They always get vandalized but not before making the news which I suppose is the point.

As for the whole Marry virgin thing, I still think the whole Jesus thing never happened to begin with. OR if it did he came about later in his life, ie: the virgin Marry bit never actually took place. And even then if it did take place, that bitch totally lied.

The myth, that happens time and time again in many different religions always seems to say that the son of god came from a virgin. Part of the mystery and wonder I suppose, adds to the whole allure.
Though in todays society it is funny to think that you could very easily get an actual virgin mother giving birth. Unlikely but ya never know, the chance IS there with artificial insemination and all.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
30-05-2012, 01:08 AM
(28-05-2012 02:45 PM)Cherokee Descendant Wrote:  I just don't get it.

Supposedly, Mary was a virgin who suddenly found herself pregnant. I have a much easier time believing that she did sleep with someone before marriage (maybe Joseph? Were they engaged or anything before the pregnancy?) Or was raped and didn't tell anyone. Hell, aliens abducting and artificially inseminating Mary sounds more plausible.
Yeah getting drunk on the night before your wedding night will much likely lead to many a bachelor getting under your skirts, sounds like mary had herself a grand old time. Then woke up in the morning and found that she had become a bucket of cum. Well at least the Roman Auxiliary had a blast that night... literally. Hell I'd expect the entire town probably had a go around with her that night.

Don't get drunk kids.
[+] 2 users Like TheArcticSage's post
30-05-2012, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 01:43 AM by Mark Fulton.)
Fleshing out what Bucky said about the perpetual virginity of Mary...

The Catholic Church, ever since some decades Paul was gone, has always promoted the idea that Mary was a perpetual virgin, so not only did Mary allegedly not have sex before Jesus was born but abstained after he was born too! This idea was strongly articulated by Saint Jerome and Saint Augustine in the fourth century, when, at least in their circles, virginity was associated with purity. Saint Augustine wrote that Mary “remained a virgin in conceiving her Son, a virgin in giving birth to him, a virgin in carrying him, a virgin in nursing him at her breast, always a virgin” (St. Augustine, Serm. 186, 1: PL 38, 999). Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) claimed that Mary gave birth painlessly without opening her womb and without injury to her hymen (Summa Theologiae
III.28.2, view at
http://www.ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/TP.html). Aquinas couldn’t have been referring to an epidural and caesarian section (not possible in his time), so one wonders how he imagined Mary defied the laws of nature.

Yet what is very surprising is that neither of these shining catholic luminaries acknowledged that the Bible stated Joseph knew exactly what was required from a young Jewish wife, and soon exercised his conjugal rites after Jesus’ birth:

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not till
she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.”
(Matt. 1:24-25, KJV). [/font]

We should pay the newly married couple the respect of acknowledging their humanity. A young Jewish bride, who has just had a baby, telling her new husband sex was not allowed, because in the distant future a yet-to-be-invented religion will venerate her as a virgin, is totally implausible. A newly married, healthy, inquisitive fourteen-year-old girl wouldn’t have denied nature’s call. The local Jewish priest wouldn’t have allowed total abstinence either, because the first duty of any Jewish bride was to get pregnant so that the man’s genetic line was continued and the purity of Israel’s bloodline maintained.

[font=Times New Roman]In 1987, Pope John Paul II espoused, in an incredibly verbose document (Redemptoris Mater), that the Holy Spirit entered Mary’s virginal womb (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25031987_redemptoris-mater_en.html). In 1996 he reiterated, without a blink of his eye, that Mary remained a virgin throughout her whole life. (http://www.cin.org/jp960828.html). One wonders how carefully he had read his Bible and whether any of his alleged beliefs
about the holy family were grounded in reality. He was obviously just restating tradition.

In reality Mary’s womb was very fruitful. Mark, Matthew, Luke, John, Paul, and Acts each talk of Jesus’ numerous siblings. After
spending her best years producing seven children, her birth canal was well and truly performing the functions nature intended for it. There was no obstruction to traffic in either direction.

The Virgin Mary is a construct of the patriarchal mindset of the Catholic Church. If the Vatican hopes to be taken seriously in weightier matters, they need to get their heads out of the clouds.
30-05-2012, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 07:23 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-05-2012 01:38 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Fleshing out what Bucky said about the perpetual virginity of Mary...
In reality Mary’s womb was very fruitful. Mark, Matthew, Luke, John, Paul, and Acts each talk of Jesus’ numerous siblings. After
spending her best years producing seven children, her birth canal was well and truly performing the functions nature intended for it. There was no obstruction to traffic in either direction.

The Virgin Mary is a construct of the patriarchal mindset of the Catholic Church. If the Vatican hopes to be taken seriously in weightier matters, they need to get their heads out of the clouds. [/size]

Their heads are not "in the clouds" ... but obviously somewhere else. Tongue

LMAO. "Traffic". Hahahahaha. Have NEVER heard THAT one before. Bowing Traffic... OMG. "Lots of 'traffic' today, isn't there" !

1. The "Immacuatate Conception" was a furthur non-biblical expansion of the myth, and does NOT refer to the virgin birth. It refers to the exception to the "original sin" thingy, (for MARY). It is the doctrine that MARY was conceived without Original Sin, and that her perfection was maintained, (uncleanness was avoided), so she could become a suitable "recepticle" for the "divine" son, and thus remain "undefiled" by Original Sin. I didn't know JPII wrote "Redemptoris Mater". I guess when yer a celibate old guy, that's all ya got to do, is sit around and think about the "traffic". Laughat

2. Virgin birth was a common mythological theme. I'm too lazy to go find all the references, but just Google it. It will take you all day to read everything that comes up. I think one of the most bizarre, (DON'T tell Erxomai), was the Egyptian iteration. It was "different". http://gayegypt.com/aneggaygod.html , http://books.google.com/books?id=YxKlRxX...en&f=false .

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I always thought it interesting how Jesus is reported to have treated his mom like a second class citizen.
Come to think of it, she was a second class citizen. ALL women were.
The greatest moral leader in history had little to say about that, even in his direct dealings with his own mother.
Sign me up for that moral leadership. Thumbsup

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post