Maryland act of toleration in 1649

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Maryland act of toleration in 1649
So was doing my required reading of propaganda for my history of Christianity course I am taking, and lo and behold I stumbled across this little beauty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Toleration_Act

The Maryland Toleration Act, also known as the Act Concerning Religion, was a law mandating religious tolerance for Trinitarian Christians. Passed on April 21, 1649 by the assembly of the Maryland colony, in St. Mary's City. It was the second law requiring religious tolerance in the British North American colonies and created the first legal limitations on religious hate speech in the world. (The colony which became Rhode Island passed a series of laws, the first in 1636, which prohibited religious persecution including against non-Trinitarians; Rhode Island was also the first government to separate church and state.) Historians argue that it helped inspire later legal protections for freedom of religion in the United States. The Calvert family, who founded Maryland partly as a refuge for English Catholics, sought enactment of the law to protect Catholic settlers and those of other religions that did not conform to the dominant Anglicanism of Britain and her colonies.

The Act allowed freedom of worship for all Trinitarian Christians in Maryland, but sentenced to death anyone who denied the divinity of Jesus.

Blink

wow, good ol USA

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
RE: Maryland act of toleration in 1649
Note the date, however: 1649. That was over a century before our nation was actually independent of Britain.

Doesn't take away that it was an atrocious law to pass.
06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
(06-10-2014 12:20 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The Maryland Toleration Act...sentenced to death anyone who denied the divinity of Jesus.

They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
06-10-2014, 01:20 PM
(06-10-2014 12:23 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Note the date, however: 1649. That was over a century before our nation was actually independent of Britain.

Yes it was overthrown 43 years later, but I had never heard that and I am fairly educated in history or so I thought. Weeping

love the capital punishment if you didn't believe in the divinity of Christ...in america. I posted it because i thought others may also may have never known of that particular dark part of our history. If you asked the majority of americans if it has ever been a capital crime to denounce the divinity of christ in america you would probably get a resounding no. but then again, a recent poll shows that 1 in 4 americans still believe the sun revolves around the earth. Shocking

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronom...140214.htm

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-10-2014, 01:23 PM
(06-10-2014 01:20 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 12:23 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Note the date, however: 1649. That was over a century before our nation was actually independent of Britain.

Yes it was overthrown 43 years later, but I had never heard that and I am fairly educated in history or so I thought. Weeping

love the capital punishment if you didn't believe in the divinity of Christ...in america. I posted it because i thought others may also may have never known of that particular dark part of our history. If you asked the majority of americans if it has ever been a capital crime to denounce the divinity of christ in america you would probably get a resounding no. but then again, a recent poll shows that 1 in 4 americans still believe the sun revolves around the earth. Shocking

Umm if you are including Colonial days most people would say yes. Have you ever read the crucible?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-10-2014, 01:31 PM
(06-10-2014 01:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:20 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Yes it was overthrown 43 years later, but I had never heard that and I am fairly educated in history or so I thought. Weeping

Umm if you are including Colonial days most people would say yes. Have you ever read the crucible?

I was referring to present day in regards to ignorance of our own history of which many american suffer from. I thought it was a neat little trivial from our past (US). No I havent read the crucible, I am already backed up on a huge stack of books I have yet to read Blink Do you recommend it?

I have a massive personal library, well maybe not massive, but I have over 4,000 books easily, mostly antique and philosophical....and yet I havent read the majority to be honest Weeping I do read very fast, currently I am getting through Dr Carrier's "On the Historicity of jesus".

06-10-2014, 02:09 PM
(06-10-2014 01:31 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Umm if you are including Colonial days most people would say yes. Have you ever read the crucible?

I was referring to present day in regards to ignorance of our own history of which many american suffer from. I thought it was a neat little trivial from our past (US). No I havent read the crucible, I am already backed up on a huge stack of books I have yet to read Blink Do you recommend it?

I have a massive personal library, well maybe not massive, but I have over 4,000 books easily, mostly antique and philosophical....and yet I havent read the majority to be honest Weeping I do read very fast, currently I am getting through Dr Carrier's "On the Historicity of jesus".

The Crucible is a slight dramatisation of the Salem Witch trials. Yes it is well worth reading.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-10-2014, 03:36 PM
(06-10-2014 02:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:31 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I was referring to present day in regards to ignorance of our own history of which many american suffer from. I thought it was a neat little trivial from our past (US). No I havent read the crucible, I am already backed up on a huge stack of books I have yet to read Blink Do you recommend it?

The Crucible is a slight dramatisation of the Salem Witch trials. Yes it is well worth reading.

cool I will order it and add it to the pile Yes