Masks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Masks
I was inspired to post this poem after Adrianime's wonderful post and the poem he shared called "Around the Corner", it was beautiful and reminded me of one of my favorite poems I've read over and over by Shel Silverstein. I owned a few of his books growing up and his work is normally simple and fun but also moving. I found it on Pinterest a couple of years ago and even though it's probably meant for kids it really touched me and made me realize how important it is to be yourself, that way other's will recognize themselves in you and that familiarity can be the start of a friendship.

I've read it so many times I have it memorized and I'll repeat it in my head sometimes when I want to remind myself how important it is to be genuine. Shy

[Image: 50beab19c49e421cb8f585f3711f09d4.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like SitaSky's post
20-05-2016, 07:52 PM
RE: Masks
I like Shel Silverstein and when my son was little we read Silverstein all the time. When my grandson was little, my son read it to him.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
20-05-2016, 08:05 PM
I will not play at Tug o war,
I'd rather play at Hug o war.
Where everyone hugs instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rugs
Everyone kisses and everyone grins
Where nobody loses cause everyone wins.
Shelby Silverstein
My first introduction to Shel was an article in Playboy magazine when it was still the one on the far out position. It was called Uncle Shelby's ABZ's A is for this and B is for that. I only remember J is for junky. If you don't know what a junky is run down the street hollering "My daddy is a junky," you'll learn what a junky is! At the time I didn't know what a junky was, but I didn't use Shel's method to solve that deficiency. Spell check doesn't know what a junky is either! Doesn't like junky nor junkey!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
20-05-2016, 08:06 PM
(20-05-2016 08:05 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I will not play at Tug o war,
I'd rather play at Hug o war.
Where everyone hugs instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rugs
Everyone kisses and everyone grins
Where nobody loses cause everyone wins.
Shelby Silverstein
My first introduction to Shel was an article in Playboy magazine when it was still the one on the far out position. It was called Uncle Shelby's ABZ's A is for this and B is for that. I only remember J is for junky. If you don't know what a junky is run down the street hollering "My daddy is a junky," you'll learn what a junky is! At the time I didn't know what a junky was, but I didn't use Shel's method to solve that deficiency. Spell check doesn't know what a junky is either! Doesn't like junky nor junkey!
I still have the book Where the Sidewalk Ends!
20-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I bought The Giving Tree for my oldest boy, who of course insisted that I read it to him.

I actually cried.

I only read it that one time.

Funny huh?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post