Masochism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Masochism
I met a 35 year old women who suffers mental illness and is planning to kill herself.
I asked what she believes and she says she is a christian who thinks that there is no hell and if she commits suicide she will just die and if she dies natural death she will live forever in paradise.
I asked her why does she plan to kill herself then if she can just wait and die natural death and go to paradise. She says because mental illness is too hard to live with.
Then I ask her why her loving god would give her mental illness(which is inherited from birth). She says for original sin.
She also says god wants us to be christian cause we love him not cause we fear hell(which she says does not exist). I asked her if she loves god she said yes.

So basically she loves a deity who gave her inherited mental illness which will cause her suicide all because adam eat something god told him not to eat. It's also pretty funny that she loves somebody who if she does kill herself she will never meet. Nice masochism we got going there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
07-02-2014, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 06:10 AM by IndianAtheist.)
RE: Masochism
(07-02-2014 05:19 AM)donotwant Wrote:  So basically she loves a deity who gave her inherited mental illness which will cause her suicide all because adam eat something god told him not to eat. It's also pretty funny that she loves somebody who if she does kill herself she will never meet. Nice masochism we got going there.
Its not masochism as much as it is cognitive dissonance...

She doesn't to want accept the fact that the same God who supposedly has all the power in the universe made a world full of suffering and misery so she'll confabulate some explanation to rationalize the situation and thanks to her religion it provides her with ready made excuses for God's impotence.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
07-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Actually it's worse then that she thinks we deserve it.
07-02-2014, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 07:12 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(07-02-2014 06:15 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Actually it's worse then that she thinks we deserve it.
that's what happens when you subscribe to objective moral ideologies.

Religion is something that can make good people do bad things..

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
07-02-2014, 08:19 AM
These kinds of examples are why I cringe when somebody touts lines like "why do you feel the need to be vocal, what harm does it do if somebody believes". This is an example of the harm it can do. The obvious answers to the damage religion causes, the ones most often cited, are war, terrorism, genocide, things of that nature. People don't deal with these things in their day to day life here in the West, so they see religion as harmless, at least in their world. That is not the case either.
07-02-2014, 08:23 AM
(07-02-2014 08:19 AM)mrlmichael Wrote:  These kinds of examples are why I cringe when somebody touts lines like "why do you feel the need to be vocal, what harm does it do if somebody believes". This is an example of the harm it can do. The obvious answers to the damage religion causes, the ones most often cited, are war, terrorism, genocide, things of that nature. People don't deal with these things in their day to day life here in the West, so they see religion as harmless, at least in their world. That is not the case either.

But if she was an atheist how would it be better? She would be just 35 year old atheist who could kill herself because of inherited mental illness.
She thinks that it's either dying and not existing or dying and going to paradise and suicide will just kill her.
An atheist think that he will die if he kills himself and die if he dies natural death. So in fact she could have an advantage in thinking she will go to paradise cause it will give her reason to carry on while knowing she can kill herself to and not go to hell(since she does not believe in it).
07-02-2014, 08:35 AM
(07-02-2014 08:23 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 08:19 AM)mrlmichael Wrote:  These kinds of examples are why I cringe when somebody touts lines like "why do you feel the need to be vocal, what harm does it do if somebody believes". This is an example of the harm it can do. The obvious answers to the damage religion causes, the ones most often cited, are war, terrorism, genocide, things of that nature. People don't deal with these things in their day to day life here in the West, so they see religion as harmless, at least in their world. That is not the case either.

But if she was an atheist how would it be better? She would be just 35 year old atheist who could kill herself because of inherited mental illness.
She thinks that it's either dying and not existing or dying and going to paradise and suicide will just kill her.
An atheist think that he will die if he kills himself and die if he dies natural death. So in fact she could have an advantage in thinking she will go to paradise cause it will give her reason to carry on while knowing she can kill herself to and not go to hell(since she does not believe in it).

Because she is putting faith in an afterlife, and not valuing time in the only life. It might be hard to value this life when you have a condition that causes suffering, but operating under the assumption that you are going to paradise doesn't much help you appreciate anything you have in the one life you live. You are more likely to do something like commit suicide. To me, it sounds like she holds a religious belief that she has rationalized to fit her current situation. She wants to believe in god and the afterlife, because she wants to live without suffering in heaven, but she also realizes that committing suicide is a sin, so she has to believe there is no such thing as hell in order to rationalize her future possible means of ending her life.

Edit: I may have been reading the story wrong now that I look back through. Give me a break, I just got up Wink
07-02-2014, 08:39 AM
As a proof for hell not existing she gives me quote from iezekiel which says that sinners soul will die but the saved ones will go to paradise but she apparently ignores other verses which address eternal hellfire and eternal suffering.

What I mean is that she has a reward for not comitting suicide which is paradise. And no reward for suicide but no punishment either.
Atheist has no punishment or reward for both natural death and suicide so if things get tough she could kill herself as an atheist since she thinks natural death gives no reward but hold on as a believer since she can hold on a little bit more and go to paradise.
07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I got that the second time I read it, sorry, early morning reading comprehension failure on my part.
08-02-2014, 10:46 AM

Whats the name of your religion?