Mass-Energy Equivalence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Mass-Energy Equivalence
Hi, so... I'm not the most physics-savvy person (and I'm hoping to change that).

One of the most prominent things I'm trying to understand currently is the mass-energy equivalence Equation (or E=MC2).
What the hell does it mean and why is it important?

Also, please forgive my ignorance. I'm seriously trying to learn. Smartass
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
03-05-2017, 06:53 PM
RE: Mass-Energy Equivalence
This video will help a little.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-05-2017, 07:56 PM
That's a pretty good explanation, that Rahn127 posted. We usually ignore the momentum part for ease of use for lay people. It gets complicated.

Larai19, is there a particular thing someone said or did that prompts this question?
03-05-2017, 08:01 PM
(03-05-2017 07:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  That's a pretty good explanation, that Rahn127 posted. We usually ignore the momentum part for ease of use for lay people. It gets complicated.

Larai19, is there a particular thing someone said or did that prompts this question?

Nope, I just thought it was time I learned some fundamental physics. Smile It's going to take me awhile to wrap my head around this it seems... XD
03-05-2017, 09:13 PM
(03-05-2017 08:01 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  That's a pretty good explanation, that Rahn127 posted. We usually ignore the momentum part for ease of use for lay people. It gets complicated.

Nope, I just thought it was time I learned some fundamental physics. Smile It's going to take me awhile to wrap my head around this it seems... XD

For sure, it's a tough subject, and I have a B Sc in it, with some graduate work. You can read some books that have an "intuitive" flavor, or you can dive into the "real" stuff, which requires a fair amount of mathematical expertise. Do you expect to do anything with it beyond some basic understanding? I'm not sure what to recommend for overview books. My textbooks have a metric shit ton of math in them. Basic stuff can be handled with trig and algebra, but that doesn't show how the formulas are derived. That takes a fair amount of calculus.
03-05-2017, 09:50 PM
(03-05-2017 09:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 08:01 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Nope, I just thought it was time I learned some fundamental physics. Smile It's going to take me awhile to wrap my head around this it seems... XD

For sure, it's a tough subject, and I have a B Sc in it, with some graduate work. You can read some books that have an "intuitive" flavor, or you can dive into the "real" stuff, which requires a fair amount of mathematical expertise. Do you expect to do anything with it beyond some basic understanding? I'm not sure what to recommend for overview books. My textbooks have a metric shit ton of math in them. Basic stuff can be handled with trig and algebra, but that doesn't show how the formulas are derived. That takes a fair amount of calculus.

I'm not really sure exactly how far I want my physics career to extend. :/
Oh dear, math. I think I might be able to put up with most of it. Smile
03-05-2017, 10:17 PM
(03-05-2017 09:50 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  For sure, it's a tough subject, and I have a B Sc in it, with some graduate work. You can read some books that have an "intuitive" flavor, or you can dive into the "real" stuff, which requires a fair amount of mathematical expertise. Do you expect to do anything with it beyond some basic understanding? I'm not sure what to recommend for overview books. My textbooks have a metric shit ton of math in them. Basic stuff can be handled with trig and algebra, but that doesn't show how the formulas are derived. That takes a fair amount of calculus.

I'm not really sure exactly how far I want my physics career to extend. :/
Oh dear, math. I think I might be able to put up with most of it. Smile

A picture is worth ...

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-05-2017, 03:07 AM
It shows that mass and energy are related (who would have thought of that 200y ago!? Mass can be seen and felt, and energy not at all). It shows that, by that relation, mass can be theoretically converted into energy and back. We actually do this in accelerators (see below).
It shows that a tiny amount of mass is equal to monstrous amounts of energy. this is because of the natural constant of "c" which is really, really, big...and then squared. Written in SI units (N,m,g,s, etc.) it is 300.000.000m/s, thats 3x10^8m/s!

Energy is measured in Joules. 1J = 1000 g x (m^2/s^2)

How many Joules are in 1g of mass?
E= 1g x (3x10^8m/s)^2 = 9x10^16(m^2/s^2) = 1000 x 9 x 10^13 (m^2/s^2)

Ergo: 1g can be converted into 9x 10^13 Joules! That is 90 Tera Joules or 90 million million Joules

One gram of mass is equivalent to Ninety million million Joules!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be 90 million watts for 90 million seconds, or 90 megawatts for almost 3 Years!
Your car has like 90 kilowatts. So we could drive 1000 cars full speed 24/7 for 3 years with this single gram of mass converted into energy!

After we understand this we can conclude:
Energy can create mass and vice versa
Huge amounts of energy are created by minimal amounts of mass
-> IF we could transform mass into energy, all our energy problems would be solved by
1) -> fission energy
2) -> fusion energy
-> If we want to create mass, all we need is to apply (a LOOOOOOOT) energy (to a tiny, tiny place in space). We arent able to do that yet.
L. Krauss Wrote:If you spank vacuum hard enough, you will create particles eventually
-> IF we take existing particles (who have mass), and if we add huge amounts of (kinetic) energy, we may can "modify" these particles in:
......-> accelerators in which we observe how new particles are created by smashing existing particles together going near the speed of light (= "loaded with" max kinetc energy possible).

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
04-05-2017, 04:43 AM
(04-05-2017 03:07 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
L. Krauss Wrote:If you spank vacuum hard enough, you will create particles eventually

Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Alternate facts, man. I've got all this mass and zero energy. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user