Mass Hysteria and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Mass Hysteria and religion
It amazes me how much the human brain can convince itself that something is true when if fact it's completely false. I think mass hysteria is a prime example and explains much of religion. Some of you might remember a few years ago some girls in (I think) Upstate New York were having spasms and twitches which spread from girl to girl at a high school and everyone thought it was something in the water. Politicians were ready to blame each other for the dreadful water and Erin Brockovich was johnny on the spot, holding news conferences and spouting off all sorts of legal crap. Stuff like this happens throughout the world every year and there is a fine line between religious belief and mass hysteria. Oh, what am I saying! There is no line between the two, they are the same.

In the link below is one of my favorites, the Meowing Nuns.

http://listverse.com/2014/02/22/10-incre...-hysteria/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 11:53 AM
RE: Mass Hysteria and religion
I think "group think" in any form is likely the most damaging trait humans have.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-06-2014, 11:57 AM
(18-06-2014 11:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think "group think" in any form is likely the most damaging trait humans have.

It is very sad....what makes is worse is how natural that mindset is.
18-06-2014, 12:12 PM
It's what makes religion do dangerous.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
18-06-2014, 12:52 PM
(18-06-2014 12:12 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  It's what makes religion do dangerous.

I think it's what creates religion in the first place. Many atheists don't believe there is proof the Jesus actually was a living person. I think he was probably a real guy though nothing like what was written about in the bible. I think a type of mass hysteria took over, stories were told then re-told and finally written down and voila!....Christianity. I kinda think that's what religion is.....formalized mass hysteria.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-06-2014, 01:05 PM
(18-06-2014 11:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think "group think" in any form is likely the most damaging trait humans have.

Wouldn't you say that "group think" is just another way to say "imitate?"
Imitation is one of those things that set us aside from the rest I think. No other animal can do it like we can. It is, in my opinion responsible for all human culture. It's how we learn to speak and its what childern mostly do when they play.
We must take the bad with the good... For now anyway.
18-06-2014, 01:05 PM
That's probably true too.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
18-06-2014, 04:23 PM
(18-06-2014 01:05 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

Imitation is one of those things that set us aside from the rest I think. No other animal can do it like we can. It is, in my opinion responsible for all human culture. It's how we learn to speak and its what childern mostly do when they play.

Animals imitate members of their own species just as well. I don't think it sets us apart.

Group think is getting caught up in many things from moods at concerts to political rallies to church services where people faint to riots or what have you. You get a crowd together and they act like each other and get carried away and do stupid shit. It's the old herd mentality - like if one cow runs, they all run. Used to serve a purpose but now is a lot more harmful than beneficial.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-06-2014, 12:28 AM
(18-06-2014 12:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 12:12 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  It's what makes religion do dangerous.

I think it's what creates religion in the first place. Many atheists don't believe there is proof the Jesus actually was a living person. I think he was probably a real guy though nothing like what was written about in the bible. I think a type of mass hysteria took over, stories were told then re-told and finally written down and voila!....Christianity. I kinda think that's what religion is.....formalized mass hysteria.

There is a group/mob mentality.

Also remember that the early Christians weren't probably "believers". Clergy decided they would be monotheist, but allowed them to keep their pagan holidays -- just under a new brand.

It likely took a few generations for the "true" believer mindset to catch on.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-06-2014, 09:22 AM
(18-06-2014 01:05 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

Mass Hysteria is more than just imitation. Often the people in the midst of this phenomenon is so convinced it's real they can't be persuaded that it's not. The girls in upstate N Y in 2012 couldn't be convinced their shaking was psychological and their families demanded "answers" but when psychologists diagnosed it as mass psychogenic illness the families wanted the water tested because the symptoms were so "real". It proofs that the mind can make things real when they aren't and that's how religion has spread.