Mass Killings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2016, 01:50 AM
RE: Mass Killings
(18-07-2016 05:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I expect it'll happen in the USA -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at a protest march.

The truck driver might get shot by someone with a conceal-carry permit before he could do that much carnage.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2016, 01:54 AM
(19-07-2016 01:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(18-07-2016 05:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I expect it'll happen in the USA -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at a protest march.

The truck driver might get shot by someone with a conceal-carry permit before he could do that much carnage.

How?
19-07-2016, 02:03 AM
(18-07-2016 08:29 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The first city we ever took by force overseas was in response to conflict with a Muslim empire. Whether or not we call it terrorism is a matter of semantics.

In any case, I don't look at countries as metaphorical people. Regardless of how old a country is on paper, we all essentially originated from the same place. Culture since then as been a continually adapting phenomenon based on the context of any given society. In that regards, our histories all go back just as far. It's our situations and how we've adapted because of them that differs.

That's right. Countries don't necessarily learn things as they age. If anything the moderation of their behavior comes as their power wanes. As powerful as a country is, that is how ugly that country's behavior is. The Brits were twats at the apex of their power, we Americans were (and still are, though the power-balance is changing), the Germans were, the Spaniards were, and the Chinese damned sure will be.

Statecraft consists of adapting goals to means. As such, it is not susceptible to notions of personal qualities like "maturity" or "compassion". A state acts in accordance with its own interests, given the means at hand to realize them.
19-07-2016, 03:55 AM
(19-07-2016 01:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 01:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The truck driver might get shot by someone with a conceal-carry permit before he could do that much carnage.

How?
It's "good guy with a gun" meme. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
19-07-2016, 04:47 AM
They are getting quite inventive lately. Last night, in Germany, a guy walked through a train with a knife and an axe, hitting people that way. Things other than guns are just easier to access and will give them more publicity and cause more panic in public because you can never know what the next one does and also where it will happen.
Alone this year we had so much terrorist stuff happening in places where it was least expected and less and less of it was shooting.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
19-07-2016, 05:38 AM
(19-07-2016 04:47 AM)Leela Wrote:  They are getting quite inventive lately. Last night, in Germany, a guy walked through a train with a knife and an axe, hitting people that way. Things other than guns are just easier to access and will give them more publicity and cause more panic in public because you can never know what the next one does and also where it will happen.
Alone this year we had so much terrorist stuff happening in places where it was least expected and less and less of it was shooting.

The 24/7 news cycle gives these events more importance than they deserve. Walter Cronkite once said "This is the national news. Local events are covered locally."
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
19-07-2016, 06:47 AM
My point wasn't that it was a small event. My point was that it happens more and more, but it happens less in "traditional" ways and less in place where you'd expect it.
Also just something small happening, doesn't mean it shall not be reported nationally or even internationally. Things that are in some way special are always reported big. And just like the guy driving a truck into a crowd was special, a guy walking through a train axing people was special too.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
19-07-2016, 07:18 AM
(19-07-2016 06:47 AM)Leela Wrote:  My point wasn't that it was a small event. My point was that it happens more and more, but it happens less in "traditional" ways and less in place where you'd expect it.
Also just something small happening, doesn't mean it shall not be reported nationally or even internationally. Things that are in some way special are always reported big. And just like the guy driving a truck into a crowd was special, a guy walking through a train axing people was special too.

Reporting such events, no problem. Reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them ... I think that's a problem.
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
19-07-2016, 07:25 AM
(19-07-2016 07:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 06:47 AM)Leela Wrote:  My point wasn't that it was a small event. My point was that it happens more and more, but it happens less in "traditional" ways and less in place where you'd expect it.

Reporting such events, no problem. Reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them ... I think that's a problem.

When there is a dangerous situation going on I think the media should report it. As in...hey, there's trouble in XYZ area, don't go there. We will give you more information as we get it.

But they fill in the gaps between initial report and what really happened with suppositions further fueling fear and adding a great deal of incorrect and/or incomplete information that is forever seen as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

The news outlets work to keep their faces on as many screens as possible when they have the chance. Stay tuned and we will report any and everything even remotely related to the incident.

They remind me of commentators at a sporting event who have time to fill so they just babble away while keeping their logo in sight and their advertisers happy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
19-07-2016, 07:35 AM
(19-07-2016 07:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 07:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Reporting such events, no problem. Reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them and reporting them ... I think that's a problem.

When there is a dangerous situation going on I think the media should report it. As in...hey, there's trouble in XYZ area, don't go there. We will give you more information as we get it.

But they fill in the gaps between initial report and what really happened with suppositions further fueling fear and adding a great deal of incorrect and/or incomplete information that is forever seen as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

The news outlets work to keep their faces on as many screens as possible when they have the chance. Stay tuned and we will report any and everything even remotely related to the incident.

They remind me of commentators at a sporting event who have time to fill so they just babble away while keeping their logo in sight and their advertisers happy.
People are vampires, sucking up that blood. They love the gore on the boob tube.
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post