Mass shooting in Orlando

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2016, 05:52 PM
RE: Mass shooting in Orlando
(12-06-2016 05:44 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am fucking sick of media always harping on "motive". The singer murdered yesterday was not murdered by a Muslim. The Texas Bar shooting that left 9 dead were not Muslims. The Va Tech shooter was mentally ill, and the abortion clinic shooter was a Christian. The two tea party nuts in Vegas murdered two cops and a civilian. And even if you take away all mass shootings, it still remains that most gun deaths happen in the home through domestic murder, accident, suicide or someone in the neighborhood the victim knew.

This isn't about gun rights, this is about the gun makers using the blood lobby NRA to protect the profits of the makers. My Jr year High School yearbook had a two page spread of national news that happened that year. One of the stories was about a McDonald's massacre in San Ysidro Ca just south of San Diego. That wasn't last year, or 3 years ago, or even 10 years ago. That was fucking 1984!

The only time the GOP attempted anything sane was when Reagan and Brady got shot, but after they left office the GOP gutted everything they did. The GOP AND makers and blood lobby NRA don't give one flying fuck about reducing gun deaths. They are about one thing and one thing only, protecting the profits of another big business.

I don't think this is the thread for this discussion. We've come close a few times, but not like this.

If you want to you can rehash any number of gun control threads this forum has seen.

If this continues I'll split the thread.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Thread split

If you want to discuss gun control go here....

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2016, 06:11 PM
(12-06-2016 06:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread split

Thank you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
(12-06-2016 05:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 04:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm becoming increasingly fearful of places I should "feel" relatively safe.

I am seldom in a crowd, by choice...this kind of thing makes 'never' in a crowd look like a better choice. Undecided

I’m with you two. Crowds nowdays unnerve me. I seldom go to sporting events, clubs, shopping malls etc. anymore.

When I was in my mid 20’s I loved to dance. The best music was played at the gay clubs so that’s where I would go. It scares me to think...shudder.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
12-06-2016, 06:36 PM
(12-06-2016 06:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 05:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am seldom in a crowd, by choice...this kind of thing makes 'never' in a crowd look like a better choice. Undecided

I’m with you two. Crowds nowdays unnerve me. I seldom go to sporting events, clubs, shopping malls etc. anymore.

When I was in my mid 20’s I loved to dance. The best music was played at the gay clubs so that’s where I would go. It scares me to think...shudder.

They also have the best drinks.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2016, 06:52 PM
(12-06-2016 06:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 06:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m with you two. Crowds nowdays unnerve me. I seldom go to sporting events, clubs, shopping malls etc. anymore.

They also have the best drinks.

And ... most of the guys there, actually like to dance. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-06-2016, 07:20 PM
(12-06-2016 04:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 04:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Good Lord, someone on CNN made a horrifying and excellent point. When rescuers went in after the SWAT folks, all the bodies were still there, and they were having to ignore the constant ringing of phones from people's loved ones trying to reach the deceased and wounded.

Also news out of California. An Indiana man was arrested with ammo, some weapons, and explosives' ingredients in his car en route to a gay pride parade.

I read about the first responders hearing cell phones. That's why I had to turn off the tv. I don't have to think hard to imagine that.

My heart just breaks for the victims in their last moments and their families, friends and associates who are forced to carry on without them.

I'm becoming increasingly fearful of places I should "feel" relatively safe.

Sadcryface
I minimize trips to movie theaters ever since the Colorado theater shootings. I am relieved when my 9 year old son returns home from school(a nice neighborhood) alive.

What's so scary about mass shootings? They can happen anywhere. There is no formula for avoiding them, except staying indoors.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
12-06-2016, 08:42 PM
(12-06-2016 03:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 12:57 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I had a $20 bet going that Obama would not use the word "Muslim" or "Islam" in his address and would decide to blame gun laws for this tragedy instead. Thanks, Obama!

Did we call McVeigh a "Christian Terrorist"? Did we call Eric Rudolph a "Christian Terrorist"?

Maybe we should have. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-06-2016, 09:34 PM
(12-06-2016 06:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread split

(12-06-2016 09:25 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Let's try and save Moms trouble and keep politics out of this thread.

Nice try.

(12-06-2016 09:39 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  ... a thread in the politics section could be created but if this thread gets too political Moms or DLJ or whoever will eventually have to split it because that stuff usually starts debates.

Good call.

(12-06-2016 04:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  ...
Saying that you are an atheist in Europe might even not raise an eyebrow and
while in US coming out as an atheist may cost you some friends and even family renounce you in worst cases , in these countries:

Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

coming out as an atheist gets your head chopped off.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2013/12/13...th/355961/

Nope. It's still attached.

(12-06-2016 02:58 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yes, and it would be because of religious fundamentalism as it is in the countries listed.

So here's a thought experiment...

If all 'holy' scriptures decreed that homosexual acts are not only acceptable but compulsory - let's say, five times a day and referred to as the doctrine of "loving thy neighbour" - do you think that some humans will become fanatical about it (to the point of murdering people who do not comply); that some will shamelessly ignore it; that some will not follow the holy law and feel guilty about it until they go to confession?

What would a world like that look like?

Consider

12-06-2016, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 10:18 PM by kim.)
(12-06-2016 09:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 02:58 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yes, and it would be because of religious fundamentalism as it is in the countries listed.

So here's a thought experiment...

If all 'holy' scriptures decreed that homosexual acts are not only acceptable but compulsory - let's say, five times a day and referred to as the doctrine of "loving thy neighbour" - do you think that some humans will become fanatical about it (to the point of murdering people who do not comply); that some will shamelessly ignore it; that some will not follow the holy law and feel guilty about it until they go to confession?

What would a world like that look like?

Consider

Hmmm... Consider might make church going a whole lot more exciting.

Five times a day... you say ? Shocking

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post